Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

SNOKING

Well, another matter has surfaced. Apparently, California requires safety chains on goosenecks. The Anderson is a soft of hybrid if you want to call it that. I've heard conflicting opinions whether or not safety chains are required with the Anderson. Has anyone been cited or advised of this? I would certainly like to find a reference in the California Vehicle Code.

What does Andersen say? Chris

RamblinFever

They didnt use them but acknowledged that some states required chains. The kit is $70.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
The Anderson chain kit will have the eye bolts for the chains that run through the adapter plate on your king pin.
What I did was to secure the chains in my truck bed and then when in service, I attach the chains to the eye bolts..
No chains hanging down from the RV when it is parked....The chains are easy to take out of the truck bed, but I just
leave them installed. Hope you find what works for you! Safe Travels.

Rollin_Free

I don't consider chains a negative. Just ordered a set #3230 from Anderson. Never used chains on other 5th wheel trailers with the slide in hitches.

I originally started with a Curt slider (220#'s) but I needed something that didn't pop a kidney every time I wanted to move it. With the specs of the Andersen it meets or beats other quality hitches however none of them can beat the 32lbs. of this hitch. The chains can be mounted however you decide it's best for you. I chose to replace the screw clevis with an identical hook so I can easily remove them completely from the trailer and truck and store them inside the trailer with the hitch. Since I live in Minnesota it is important to me to keep as much inside and out of the weather as possible.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The chains are really a moot point . . .

Does anyone really think they will keep the trailer connected to the truck if if comes unhitched?

I doubt it . . .

If anything, the chains (if they actually held) would most likely endanger those in the tow vehicle more than anyone that might be following behind.

Chippendale

I doubt very seriously a heavy 5th wheel is going to jump off that ball hitch while going down a paved highway and I doubt any of us would be driving down a bumpy dirt road so fast that it could come off. That being said, I live in Texas, so after it was pointed out in this thread that there is a $500 fine, I started using chains. There is probably a greater chance of the hitch clamp on a standard 5th wheel hitch failing and releasing the trailer, but chains are not required with that type of hitch. Years ago, chains might have been needed, improvements and new products have come on the market, but government bureaucrats don't recognize the improvements, so purchase and use your chains. The Andersen is in my opinion still the best bang for the buck.

Doublegranch

Jim:

Anderson does sell a chain kit, I purchased mine directly from them. The majority of states require a chain kit with a Gooseball set up. They are easy to install with the eyebolts that Anderson provides...

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Again . . . who here thinks that the chains will really hold the trailer for more than 50-feet??? :confused:

Doublegranch

JohnD:

If you look close, there are a vast number of "laws" that don't make sense! You either to choose to obey or take your chance!
IMO if the chains offer even a degree of alleged safety, I will go with them.

Doublegranch

The Blue OX looks like a quality unit....I looked at it on Amazon and it is only rated for 10,000 lbs...
My Sundance is 13,900 gross so unless they made other versions, this would not work.

picdodge

Hi. Thought I would review my andersen hitch. I have towed the Cyclone 4012 a few thousand miles arourd CA. and NV. It has worked out very well. It's a heavy trailer and the roads in Nor Cal are ROUGH, needed a dukes of hazard horn on a few of the bridge abutments. The hitch held up as did the truck and trailer.
The only draw back is how high you have to jack the trailer to hook and unhook.. I can deal with that.
I like the simplicity and the ease of hitch removal.
Overall happy with my purchase. So happy I told my nephew about it and he's using one also.

Rollin_Free

A poster on RV.net noted that his Lippert 1621 pin box started collapsing due to the concentration of weight in the center of the plate that holds the king pin. Something to watch out for. Chris

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29055614.cfm

I read the the entire post and it's definitely good to know info to check and watch however as it states only 2 reported cases, it was the 1621HD pinbox, and the hitch weight was 3K+. It also stated using a Goosebox eliminated the issue but that removes the factory pinbox and Lippert is manufacturing some of the internal components of the Goosebox hitch. This seems like the fox watching the hen house to me.

I recall a previous post was regarding frame flexing that was taken back to the factory to repair the problem but the solution wasn't very clear. I think the problem was with the overhang flexing so additional gussets were added to stiffen this area but don't quote me on this. I also don't remember the model with the issue but pretty sure it was a heavy rig over 13k.

I think the comment regarding the entire trailer frame being minimally adequate may have some validity.

I've been thinking I could buy a piece of flat steel maybe 6" X 6" or even 8" X 8" and put a hole in the center of it the size of the king pin. Then place it on the kingpin where the gap is between the adapter and hitch plate and tighten the Allen screws to hold it tight. As long as the steel plate is thinner than the gap I'm thinking that it would effectively distribute the weight better on the hitch plate?

Last edited:

KenandKK

A poster on RV.net noted that his Lippert 1621 pin box started collapsing due to the concentration of weight in the center of the plate that holds the king pin. Something to watch out for. Chris

http://forums.woodalls.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29055614.cfm

Thanks for the "Link".... Good info, I'll be checking that A LOT!! I have the Trailair pinbox and I don't really care for the way they lock the adapter in position. (with the set screws) I may nave to do a little pro-active modification, to spread out the force applied to the base plate by the set-screws. I 'do' like the Andersun hitch concept... quiet, easy to hook-up, light weight... just say'n!

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Could anyone tell me the distance from the floor of the truck bed to the top of the ball on the Anderson hitch? Preferably at the lowest setting. Hitch height is my concern. I appreciate the help.

Chippendale

Could anyone tell me the distance from the floor of the truck bed to the top of the ball on the Anderson hitch? Preferably at the lowest setting. Hitch height is my concern. I appreciate the help.

The hitch balls they ship out now have 3 settings, there should be no trouble getting it set properly. I have an early version of the Anderson hitch and my ball only has 2 settings, plus I am using the Reese "picture frame" rail adaptor, and mine works great. I am not close to the truck right now and don't remember if I have it in the lower or upper setting, but that would not matter anyway because they no longer ship the 2 setting version. If you get one, I predict you will like it.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
The hitch balls they ship out now have 3 settings, there should be no trouble getting it set properly. I have an early version of the Anderson hitch and my ball only has 2 settings, plus I am using the Reese "picture frame" rail adaptor, and mine works great. I am not close to the truck right now and don't remember if I have it in the lower or upper setting, but that would not matter anyway because they no longer ship the 2 setting version. If you get one, I predict you will like it.

It has 3 settings... 16-3/4--17-7/8--19-1/8.

IMO this is the best hitch on the market

Thanks for the info. I have a FlexAir pin box which sits about 3 inches lower than the factory pin box. So I currently have my Reese hitch at its lowest position in the bed. Just looking what the clearances would be.