Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

jrdelung

Jim: Great NEWS!!!! Can't wait for the official email and I will make a major post on your behalf....
Welcome and yes you will meet JohnD, as long as you have fireball, he is harmless....
I will move the Fireball from the house kitchen to the Bighorn!

Mrsfish

If you plan on joining the Heartland Owner's Club, you can bet you'll meet me!

I am, after all . . . the Bastard Step Child of the Arizona HOC Chapter!

Garry (and many others) can and will confirm that! :angel:

CONFIRM!!! Even though I'm not sure I should be admitting this in public

tomsws6

John,
It is very very light. I just removed my pullright superglide, which probably takes up most of my payload capacity as much as it wieghs, and lifted this right up with no issues and slid it up into the bed. They say it weighs about 70pounds or so but the way it is designed and the way you pick it up make it very easy to do so.

Jim,

SO do you just turn-push-turn to lock it in or unlock the kingpin? It almost looks to simple.

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John,
It is very very light. I just removed my pullright superglide, which probably takes up most of my payload capacity as much as it wieghs, and lifted this right up with no issues and slid it up into the bed. They say it weighs about 70pounds or so but the way it is designed and the way you pick it up make it very easy to do so.

I figure that my Reese 16K Pro Slider weighs in around 150 pounds . . .

I used to be able to lift that much . . . but after suffering a stroke six years ago . . . can't lift that much weight anymore!

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg

NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg

ProwlerPigtail-P1000462.jpg

jrdelung

John,

Jim,

SO do you just turn-push-turn to lock it in or unlock the kingpin? It almost looks to simple.
Push-Turn, done. I know... way to simple. It's all about physics. Just traveled from Louisiana to Arizona with no problems.

Aandaar

Jim: Great NEWS!!!! Can't wait for the official email and I will make a major post on your behalf....
Welcome and yes you will meet JohnD, as long as you have fireball, he is harmless....

MMMMMMMM, FIREBALL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chuck, Victoria, and Miss Callie

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Just hooked up the Sundance....here are a couple of pic's and one close up of the Anderson Hitch.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 83

Doublegranch

Yep for now....I haven't found the "spot" I like yet....It has traveled 2,000 miles that way and not an issue!
I need to go to La Mesa RV tomorrow and in case I have to unhook, I wanted to be able to take the adapter plate off
and allow them to move the coach with a fifth tow vehicle....Not sure if they are ready for a gooseball adapter...

So will figure it out in a few days or so....no rush

- - - Updated - - -

Looking good!!! You must have waxed it as that Sundance decal really pops.

[Gregg: Actually I haven't been able to even wash it yet...we are in the monsoon now and it has rained everyday. So this is what it looks like from the 2,000 mile trip.]

Chippendale

So do you just leave the release mechanism Latin in the bed?

I am using my Andersen hitch in my second truck and with my third trailer and I still leave it lying in the bed. Since there is no way to lock it, lying in the bed out of sight of some you-know-what who might think it would be funny to release it is in my opinion safer. Andersen’s next improvement needs to be some way to lock that handle.

Chippendale

I worried about taking mine into a dealer's at first, and found that the dealers down here all use the ball they have on their tractor that they use to move pull trailers around with. There has been no need to remove the adapter. That being said, I have been somewhat afraid to have the front legs sitting directly on the ground. I have a vision of lifting the trailer up high enough for the adapter to clear the top of the ball and having it lift off the legs and crash to the ground. It may not be possible for something like that to happen, but with my luck.......I'm not taking chances so I always have about three 2 x 6s stacked under each front leg.

Rollin_Free

I have not heard any of them . . .

I have seen videos of people blasting out their rear truck windows when they don't have them (slider hitches), however.

Not long ago JWalker had a lead on a metal version that will sit right in your rails. I bet the price would make it easy to try the Anderson before you make the jump to the hidden hitch version.

SNOKING

Not long ago JWalker had a lead on a metal version that will sit right in your rails. I bet the price would make it easy to try the Anderson before you make the jump to the hidden hitch version.

The rail version is much better, as the load is not straight on sheet metal bed floor.

Chris

Chippendale

I purchased my Andersen hitch Dec. 2014 and used it with my 2014 Gateway which had the standard leveling system (a carpenter's level, a long 2x12 board and a few leveling pads). I have recently purchased a Landmark with the Lippert 6 point system on it and since the Lippert instructions are for use with a standard 5th wheel hitch, I felt it might be a good idea to make up a "check list" to use until I am completely comfortable with the Lippert system. Below is my check list, I would appreciate it if some of you guys who are using the Andersen/Lippert combination would check it over and see if I have put anything on it that might get me in trouble, or maybe offer a better suggestion.

Thanks, George

UN-HITCHING
1. Manually extend front legs enough to raise pin adaptor off of hitch ball using the manual switch on front of trailer.
2. Move truck out from under trailer pin box.
3. Now, go to leveling touch pad and touch “ON”.
4. Touch “AUTO LEVEL”. This should level the trailer and also memorize the proper height of the pin adaptor for “re-hitching”.
5. When level, turn “OFF” system.
6. Reward self with a cold beer.

RE-HITCHING
1. Turn “ON” the touch pad.
2. Press the “LEFT” and “RIGHT” buttons and the same time. This will raise the pin box to the height it was when the auto level sequence was started.
3. Back the “HITCH BALL” under the pin adaptor and “MANUALLY” lower the adaptor on to the “BALL”. Be sure to push in the “LOCK PIN”
4. Push the “UP” arrow until “AUTO RETRACT” appears on the LCD screen.
5. Push “ENTER” and the system will retract all jacks.
6. Turn "OFF" the system.
7. Going to be driving, reward self with coffee or coke.

Doublegranch

George:

I have the Lippert 4 point level up on my new Sundance...it came with a great instruction list, step by step which I keep inside the bay next to the controller. Only thing different on my system is to retract the rear legs before starting to re-hitch. Extending the front before I assume could cause damage to the rear legs. Since this is my first fifth wheel, I also made another check list for set up and take down along with the Lippert instructions.