Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I agree to the torque wrench and would like to add checking the Allen set screws on the king pin adapter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

2mgurza.png

Ken, I already have a 1/4" Allen wrench in the truck to periodically check the coupler.

One issue I found is the manual wants you to torque the top bolt down to 50lb/ft. Then drop the weight of the trailer on the hitch and retighten to 50lb/ft. I can't fit the torque wrench in between the hitch and the coupler. So I just used a large open end wrench to add some additional torque while hitched.

KenandKK

So I just used a large open end wrench to add some additional torque while hitched.[/QUOTE said:
I See, Sounds like you have it covered. I usually check mine when I check the lug nuts. Haven't found a problem since the first recheck... the set screws were a little under torqued, not loose though!

porthole

Retired
That's what I'm looking for. Thank you.

Use the adapter at 90 degrees to the wrench and the torque stays the same.
Use it inline and you have to calculate the additional applied torque based on the adapter center to center length.

Bones

Use the adapter at 90 degrees to the wrench and the torque stays the same.
Use it inline and you have to calculate the additional applied torque based on the adapter center to center length.

Torque stays exactly the same no matter how many extensions you have in line

rblack22

But re-torquing the top bolt would require you to loosen the side set bolts first, then re-torquing them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Nope don't need to. Let me find the videos for you on extensions in line. The crow foot adapter does change it

What does that video, which is about using an extension (which is not inline with the wrench, it is perpendicular, but rotationally the same as the anvil) have to do with using a torque adapter, which is what is needed to access the bolt that is under the hitch?

And a torque adapter is not a crows foot if we are going to get technical, as is an adapter versus an extension.

- - - Updated - - -

Same fancy SnapOn tester doing what this discussion has turned into.

Bones

What does that video, which is about using an extension (which is not inline with the wrench, it is perpendicular, but rotationally the same as the anvil) have to do with using a torque adapter, which is what is needed to access the bolt that is under the hitch?

And a torque adapter is not a crows foot if we are going to get technical, as is an adapter versus an extension.

- - - Updated - - -

Same fancy SnapOn tester doing what this discussion has turned into.

Oh I'm laughing because we are both right. You beat me to the video on the adapter.

porthole

Retired
Oh I'm laughing because we are both right. You beat me to the video on the adapter.

Nope, i'm going to disagree - an adapter is not the same as an extension and since we are talking about using proper work practices, the proper terminology needs to be applied, same as the proper torque.

If I suggested to Jamie to just get an extension and told hime don't worry about the torque, it is the same, which is technically correct, he would not have the same result if he went out and got a 6" torque adapter, improperly referred to as extension.

Using this example he would be under torqued by 12 ft lbs if he used the "adapter" as an "extension of length"

porthole

Retired
And since our happy RV'er may be looking for adapters, extensions etc for his fancy new digital 1/2" drive torque wrench, we have:

Crows foot standard
Crows foot line
Torque adapter

The crow's foot adapter is an open end type of wrench.
The 2nd pictured "line" style is useful for accessing the flare nut on fuel and brake lines as an example. This style allows access over a fuel line while allowing the most grip on the hex.
The torque adapter is a box style adapter. This allows all the torque to be applied equally around the hex and allows higher torque loads.

The open style crows foot can spread or round off the fastener.

Cheaper tools do not apply the torque on the flats of the hex fastener, rather they are applying the torque to the angled edges of the flats. Poorly made (cheap) will tend to round off a hex fastener fairly easy.

SnapOn has a patented 'flank drive'. They are designed to have the driving portion of the wrench apply the torque on or near the center of the flats. They work well and are priced accordingly.

- - - Updated - - -

no matter what this is very good info for everyone on here. It's all good. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Just the discussion on actually using a torque wrench is good

Attachments

• crows_foot_1.jpeg
    crows_foot_1.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 31
  • crows_foot_2.jpeg
    crows_foot_2.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 30
  • torque_adapter.jpeg
    torque_adapter.jpeg
    18 KB · Views: 30

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
1000 mile review and update.

First trip of 1156 miles to Connecticut and back

-So simple to install and remove the hitch. They are 100% true when saying it only takes minutes.
"A+"

-Construction. Although, lightweight, the hitch seems to be very well-made. All welds and connections look to be well done.
"A"

-Hitching and unhitching. Absolutely a breeze to hitch and unhitch. I can't explain how simple this is. The funnel directs any misalignment right on top of the ball. So simple. It's actually enjoyable.
"A+++"

-Absolutely no noise. No squeaking, grinding or clunking. This is what I experienced with my last conventional hitch.
"A"

-Hitch height. I cannot lower the ball any lower and to maintain bedrail clearance, I am running nose high. This is mainly due to the FlexAir pin box hanging lower than the traditional open box.
"B"

-I know safety chains have been a topic with the Anderson hitch. I have no complaints and it has not been an issue hooking or unhooking them. I am using the Curt gooseball with puck chain attachments.
"A"

I will be removing the hitch this weekend to look and see if there has been any kind of bad damage. Just curious to see if it has rubbed any of the bedliner off. Though, the hitch did not move one bit. I checked several times expecting some sort of movement. But nothing. Stayed in place to the mark.

So far, I would have to give the Anderson ultimate a rating of "A". I will evaluate more as a miles rack up.