Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Jamie:FYI...According to the Factory Rep at Anderson, once you have torqued the hitch before hook up, it isn't any longer required to do it again after hook up. I know the instructions state that, but asking the question, they were old instructions and have not been changed. Just for my peace of mind I have double checked the torque a few times after hooking up the RV and it has never required any adjustments. I no longer worry about it. From another posted comment, yes it is correct to torque the top bolt first prior to the two side bolts.

Clark2262

Thank you Doublegranch for that research and the info. I'm expecting my Andersen Hitch tomorrow and was concerned if I needed a special widget/tool to re-torque the top bolt.

- - - Updated - - -

1000 mile review and update.

First trip of 1156 miles to Connecticut and back .....

Thank you JWalker. Do you have any feedback on the "ride"? Was it anymore/less bumpy?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Thank you Doublegranch for that research and the info. I'm expecting my Andersen Hitch tomorrow and was concerned if I needed a special widget/tool to re-torque the top bolt.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you JWalker. Do you have any feedback on the "ride"? Was it anymore/less bumpy?

The ride with our old set up (Reese picture frame and Reese 16K hitch) was not that bad. It was all the movement, creaking and play that was associated with the combination. That being said, it's hard to describe the Anderson ride. I guess I would say it was….Solid. It felt like there was no movement at all. The ride was good. I was quite pleased with the overall all ride of the Anderson.

Clark2262

The ride with our old set up (Reese picture frame and Reese 16K hitch) was not that bad. It was all the movement, creaking and play that was associated with the combination. That being said, it's hard to describe the Anderson ride. I guess I would say it was….Solid. It felt like there was no movement at all. The ride was good. I was quite pleased with the overall all ride of the Anderson.

Thanks! :cool:

JWalker

You will love the Anderson and the RAM combination. It fits perfectly between the pucks, allowing you to use them for the safety chains. There is no more than 1/8" clearance. Keeping the hitch perfectly in line.

2z9lik3.png

rblack22

I'm glad these came in now rather than a week from now. It got me to thinking, I need to measure how much room I have between the Anderson and the front bed wall, for a new Fuel and Tool box to fit. That coulda sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark-Roberta 051995

Re: UPDATE!! Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

I have the same unit except it is the black steel one. I have used it for 2 years towing a 43' Jayco Eagle Premier front living - I will now tow my new LM 365 Charleston with it.

Well, I started this thread about 16 months ago in hopes to learn more on the Anderson Goose Neck conversion. A different "Hybrid" style of hitch.

Reason for changing- when we upgraded to our 16 Ram, I ordered it with the fifth wheel trailer towing package. Which offered the puck and goose ball system. The most economical way to adapt our old fifth wheel hitch (Reese 16K) to the new puck system, was to add the Reese picture frame adapter. The combination of the adapter and the fifth wheel hitch created a lot of noise and movement. There was quite a bit of for and aft movement which created a lot of chucking and squeaking. Even with the Flex Air pin box, it was quite noticeable.

So, after 16 months, this arrived at my doorstep.
156emur.jpg

I will update my findings and opinions shortly....

- - - Updated - - -

I have the same set up - good stuff.

Started out with the purchase of the Curt Gooseball/Puck system. Amazon dropped the price from $135 to $87 for about 24 hours and I jumped on it.

Very pleased with fit and finish
2qnun8p.jpg

Clark2262

I towed my Landmark Madison up and over a very challenging mountain full of switchbacks and no problems.

On top of that, the next 15 miles of rolling hills in the country was in the process of being repaved - the just milled part of the process. Andersen was still just fine.

I've never had a problem with other 5th wheel hitches chucking and this one is no exception. Where the Andersen is different/better is in vertical travel when you hit a sharp bump, like a bridge or transferring from milled pavement to good pavement - the worst! Typically, my camper would slam back down on the hitch/truck. With Andersen, there is no vertical movement what so ever.

The height adjustment is great too. I'm able to raise my camper, just a little, which will allow me to make sharper turns without the pin box hitting the rails of my Retrax cover (been there - done that with the other hitch). At the same time, I can still close the cover, even with the hitch in highest position. A really nice benefit.

I was able to pick up the Curt goose neck ball/safety chain pucks for $85 too. What a steal! My buddy got in on the deal too.

JWalker

1500 mile Update.

Took the Anderson out today. Just a few seconds over a minute to remove. Wanted to check to see if there was any damage or issues with the bed.

As mentioned on other YouTube videos, the Anderson can leave marks in the bedliner. No physical damage to the bed floor, just sort of flattens out the dimples in the bedliner.

That was what I found with mine.
bhxh6v.jpg

2ewl1g6.jpg

Close up shows that the spray in bedliner dimples are flattened. No rubbing or paint exposure at all.
s3dmpd.jpg

I don't think I'm really concerned about this. I can do more damage to the bedliner by sliding a rake or shovel across it.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Still waiting to see how it holds up in an accident. Anything can pretty much haul a RV, but keeping it hooked up in a wreck is another thing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Aandaar

Still waiting to see how it holds up in an accident. Anything can pretty much haul a RV, but keeping it hooked up in a wreck is another thing.

That is something I am not willing test out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWalker

Not really wanting to get into a ****ing battle about what hitch is better. Just giving some details on this particular hitch.

2psnapod2

Not looking for a ****ing match. I just have had several ask my opinion on this hitch, and without owning on myself, all I can say is I'm still not sold on it because it does not look heavy enough to stop 18k lbs in a accident. So until I see some evidence of sideways pressure on it, I would never own one. In my mind the more steel the better!

Rollin_Free

Not looking for a ****ing match. I just have had several ask my opinion on this hitch, and without owning on myself, all I can say is I'm still not sold on it because it does not look heavy enough to stop 18k lbs in a accident. So until I see some evidence of sideways pressure on it, I would never own one. In my mind the more steel the better!

So if your looking for a comparison then you need to compare apples to apples. If your looking for accident potential then compare all, and I mean all, hitches in exactly the same way. The only way your going to convince me that other hitches are better is to do the same exact loading test on every other hitch using the exact same testing process. I'm not in favor of saying the sideway pressure will not hold on the Andersen as well as other hitches without the scientific evidence that every other hitch has passed the stress pressure test you are indicating the Andersen would probably fail.

You really need to keep away from survey type answers when they can be potentially skewed by limiting the testing manufacture types or changing the testing procedure. If we're going to say we have a better hitch then prove it with scientific data to support your position. Hear say, or I just don't think so, isn't really a good answer.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
If you want to see the Andersen Hitch in a video of an accident, look up their website...an RVer was following too close and too fast, could not stop, made a radical left turn to avoid a rear ender and went off the road into a low ditch type area. The TV & RV flipped on it's side. They did not separate from each other and the Andersen hitch stayed locked in place. Now with that said, the legs bowed in but never broke and Andersen gave him a new hitch free! Even though it was the RVer's fault.

Everyone has opinions on hitches, you just need to decide for yourself what is best. With over a year of towing with the Andersen Hitch and over 15,000 miles, I would not give it up! I am not saying it's the best for everyone, but it fits all my needs perfectly!

2psnapod2

I agree that we have to compare all hitches. Not saying the Anderson hitch is any worse than another. As there really has not been any real testing. But to me the more steel the better until I am shown otherwise. I have a TS3 hitch for 2 reasons, 1 is it has a very good record of the use of airbags to dampen the chucking,and 2 is it weighs alot because of all the steel that it is built with. More the better to me. But everyone is has different reasons for buying things. I must admit the easy of installing and removing is nice.

JWalker

I used to think more steel was better but if that were true, the Fords (150/250/350) are proving that wrong. They're banking their future on aluminum.

Anyways, back to the subject...

Found a way to back under the pin. Works great for alignment. Hit it perfect dang near every time. I also cut the yellow rod at the proper length so that I can tell if I'm to low to get over the ball.
30at3kx.jpg

Fortunately, the only steel piece on the whole hitch is that one bolt. So my magnet works great also.

Last edited: