Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
There are no safety chains with a regular 5th-wheel hitch, so I wonder why there might be a requirement for the Anderson hitch?

If a 5th-wheel trailer is gonna fly off the hitch . . . somehow I doubt that the safety chains will hang on to the horsey! (a little Tucson rodeo humor there :cool: ).

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
JohnD:

The Anderson is not considered a fifth wheel hitch. It is a gooseneck adapter in that it rides on a goose ball. DOT in most states require safety chains on hitches that are not fifth wheel...
Travel trailers, gooseneck...

JohnD

JohnD:

The Anderson is not considered a fifth wheel hitch. It is a gooseneck adapter in that it rides on a goose ball. DOT in most states require safety chains on hitches that are not fifth wheel...
Travel trailers, gooseneck...

Got'cha!

Still, I doubt that those chains would harness that buckin' bronco.

But the goose neck would probably catch on the tailgate and hold it . . . for a few seconds.

teasac69

I am searching for alternatives to the pin box issue I'm facing. I'm hearing lots of folks having issues with the Trailair Tri-glide coming apart and causing real harm. I've contacted Lippert but don't expect to get any relief. (funny that Lippert is such an integral part of our Heartland coaches but when things go south, they don't know who we are???) i.e. trouble with my bedroom slide remote operation, trouble with leveling system and now worried about my Tri-glide coming apart.......... woe is me !!!!

I'm guessing I need to find my old stock pin box to do the Anderson but my question is how does it deal with the chucking/bucking? how does it dampen road activity? why don't folks seem to be having issues with the ride? I didn't pull my BH but one short trip before I was buying a Trailair do get rid of that horrible ride? no issues with the ride with the Anderson????

thanks always, you guys are the best

jayc

Legendary Member
Tim, I've had a Trail Air with Tri Glide for over 5 years and it has been perfect for me. No chucking and no "coming apart" and I wish they still made it. If I were in the market for a new trailer I would love to have a new one.

I have always been leery of a hitch that requires a safety chain. You seldom hear of a fifth wheel hitch failing, but I know it does happen occasionally. I'll stick with a conventional fifth wheel hitch. Being a full timer, I never take the hitch out so the weight of the hitch makes no difference.

teasac69

Tim, I've had a Trail Air with Tri Glide for over 5 years and it has been perfect for me. No chucking and no "coming apart" and I wish they still made it. If I were in the market for a new trailer I would love to have a new one.

I have always been leery of a hitch that requires a safety chain. You seldom hear of a fifth wheel hitch failing, but I know it does happen occasionally. I'll stick with a conventional fifth wheel hitch. Being a full timer, I never take the hitch out so the weight of the hitch makes no difference.

Thanks Jay,
I agree with the performance of the Trailair Triglide. I love how it pulls. Just hoping it doesn't swarm on me in the middle of the Alaska Highway. I maintain things better than the average cat so hopefully keeping it well lubed will help it last.

We're headed to the Hill country to see the Blue Bonnets this weekend and next week and then head for Branson at the end of the month. Your Regional is shaping up to be a real party, lots of good folks coming.

Rollin_Free

I am searching for alternatives to the pin box issue I'm facing. I'm hearing lots of folks having issues with the Trailair Tri-glide coming apart and causing real harm. I've contacted Lippert but don't expect to get any relief. (funny that Lippert is such an integral part of our Heartland coaches but when things go south, they don't know who we are???) i.e. trouble with my bedroom slide remote operation, trouble with leveling system and now worried about my Tri-glide coming apart.......... woe is me !!!!

I'm guessing I need to find my old stock pin box to do the Anderson but my question is how does it deal with the chucking/bucking? how does it dampen road activity? why don't folks seem to be having issues with the ride? I didn't pull my BH but one short trip before I was buying a Trailair do get rid of that horrible ride? no issues with the ride with the Anderson????

thanks always, you guys are the best

The best way to describe the Anderson is that there isn't any bucking/chucking. The hitch essentially makes the truck and trailer feel like an articulating vehicle with no slop between the TV and 5th Wheel Trailer. If you google Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch the YTube videos are very informative and so far I haven't found one that is incorrect.

BTW: From what I understand this is not a registered 5th wheel hitch so because of the goose-neck ball being used some states don't recognize it as a unique design and categorize it to the closest design they recognize and goose-neck adapter just sticks out. Chains aren't required in all states but it's better to put them on instead of waiting on the side of the road while the officer determines if chains are required. If they are,like in Texas, I've heard it's a $500 fine if they're not installed or not connected.

I've been trying to find answers to why 5th wheels don't need chains and Goose-neck do but so far the 5th wheel hitch, whether on a RV or Semi, are exempt because the 5th wheel hitch has a positive lock that has proven it cannot separate unless released by a person so chains are not needed to keep the TV and the trailer together.

The only pin box limitations relate to ones like swinger and Reese Revolution designs that move the turning from the kingpin to farther back. I've heard Anderson cannot take the side twisting these hitches put on the TV but even if it would the kingpin can't be locked to make the hitch swing farther back. I recall that if you disable the swinging hitch feature of the pin box they can be used with the Anderson hitch.

Last edited:

Doublegranch

Thanks that would be great - I already know what the answer should be but I want to make sure I am correct. The issue is if it says everything needed and has a picture with a parts list right next to the picture that's what it should be. Just bullheaded I guess

[ Rollin_Free......My Anderson Safety Chains just arrived via UPS.....Inside the box were two "Gold" colored chains & hooks, two eye bolts, 2 U locking pins for the chains to the eye bolts. The nuts for the eye bolts
are not in the box as they are sent with the Hitch adapter and frame. Just following up on your post.....Frame was on 3 day back order and they called it will be shipped on Thur or Friday....]

Rollin_Free

Thanks that would be great - I already know what the answer should be but I want to make sure I am correct. The issue is if it says everything needed and has a picture with a parts list right next to the picture that's what it should be. Just bullheaded I guess

[ Rollin_Free......My Anderson Safety Chains just arrived via UPS.....Inside the box were two "Gold" colored chains & hooks, two eye bolts, 2 U locking pins for the chains to the eye bolts. The nuts for the eye bolts
are not in the box as they are sent with the Hitch adapter and frame. Just following up on your post.....Frame was on 3 day back order and they called it will be shipped on Thur or Friday....]

So mine was the same way. The problem is the ad, the installation manual parts list, and the manual itself clearly show and do not state that you reuse the nuts from the original bolts. I know this is petty but if it is shown in the ad what I am purchasing I expect it to "all" be in there. I emailed Anderson and have not gotten a response yet. I am ok with future sales not having them in the package if all the documentation supports the change but it's not right and I think is it may be illegal to not include what is described and the buyer is expecting to get.

So from Anderson's side if these nuts cost $1 for the set and they sell 100K hitch chains guess how much profit they have made not putting them in the box.

Doublegranch

Yes, when I put my Andersen hitch in the bed of my truck to see if the front & rear pucks would be impacted by the frame base they were not. I didn't take measurements, but the front of the base frame was about 5 inches behind the front pucks and the rear of the base frame was just in front of the rear pucks so it appeared they would still be usable for installing the anchors for the chain hooks. I will install everything in the next few days and post photos if someone else hasn't already posted any as a reference.

UPDATE: My memory was a little off, but I think everything will work just fine. The rear of the frame base does in fact go past the rear pucks; however, it fits in between them so you can still install the anchors. The only issue is the Curt anchors I have must face outward for them to work with the Andersen hitch even though the instructions say to face them inwards toward the center of the truck bed. They still lock in place so I'm not sure how much of an issue this is but I would be hard pressed to imagine it impacts function at all. One final thing I noticed is the chain hooks I received from Andersen don't want to latch over the Curt anchors due to the length of the spring retaining clip. I think I can file them down about 1/4" and they willl work perectly, but that is a project for this weekend. The first photo shows my hitch attached to the gooseneck ball and how it fits just between the rear anchors. The second photo is a closer look at the hitch frame in relation to one of the rear pucks with the anchor installed. Note: You will notice my hitch just came out of the shipping box and installed just to take these photos.....it was not fully assembled for towing.

Guy: Thanks for posting the pictures! Wow didn't think it would fit between the pucks...Can't wait to get mine and see if it fits. Your Reese Tie down pucks are different than the Ram Tie downs..So hope it all fits...
Safe Travels to TN to pick up your fifth wheel.

Go to post 136 to see his pictures of the Anderson Hitch fitting in his Ram with the rear pucks & Tie downs in place! Pic's didn't forward to this post...

JohnD

Guy: Thanks for posting the pictures! Wow didn't think it would fit between the pucks...Can't wait to get mine and see if it fits. Your Reese Tie down pucks are different than the Ram Tie downs..So hope it all fits...
Safe Travels to TN to pick up your fifth wheel.

Go to post 136 to see his pictures of the Anderson Hitch fitting in his Ram with the rear pucks & Tie downs in place! Pic's didn't forward to this post...

Looks like you've got the quote/posting thingy down now!

WTF? . . . (Where's The Fireball?) . . . ??? :confused: :angel:

Doublegranch

JohnD:

Remember, My Grandpa said I might not be the brightest bulb in the box, but I can be "Learned" !!!

Bohemian

Yes, when I put my Andersen hitch in the bed of my truck to see if the front & rear pucks would be impacted by the frame base they were not. I didn't take measurements, but the front of the base frame was about 5 inches behind the front pucks and the rear of the base frame was just in front of the rear pucks so it appeared they would still be usable for installing the anchors for the chain hooks. I will install everything in the next few days and post photos if someone else hasn't already posted any as a reference.

UPDATE: My memory was a little off, but I think everything will work just fine. The rear of the frame base does in fact go past the rear pucks; however, it fits in between them so you can still install the anchors. The only issue is the Curt anchors I have must face outward for them to work with the Andersen hitch even though the instructions say to face them inwards toward the center of the truck bed. They still lock in place so I'm not sure how much of an issue this is but I would be hard pressed to imagine it impacts function at all. One final thing I noticed is the chain hooks I received from Andersen don't want to latch over the Curt anchors due to the length of the spring retaining clip. I think I can file them down about 1/4" and they willl work perectly, but that is a project for this weekend. The first photo shows my hitch attached to the gooseneck ball and how it fits just between the rear anchors. The second photo is a closer look at the hitch frame in relation to one of the rear pucks with the anchor installed. Note: You will notice my hitch just came out of the shipping box and installed just to take these photos.....it was not fully assembled for towing.

Great photo. Extremely usefil.

Is the version I I the same dimensiond?

Doublegranch

I just tried the Anderson Chains on the Ram rear tie down....The Ram tie downs are much larger in size and thickness vs the Reese tie downs in the picture.
The Safety chain hooks would not go into a locked position. So I will go to tractor supply and get a couple of small horseshoe type locking clasps that will fit
around the Ram tie downs and then hook the safety chains to the clasps....I don't see any other way other than buying the Reese tie downs.. Guess for now
I will use what is on hand.

guyc66

Great photo. Extremely usefil.

Is the version I I the same dimensiond?

I bought my hitch in July 2015 so I assume it is the version 1 and I assume the dimensions are the same, but not sure. Maybe someone else who knows will chime in with the answer or you can call the factory at (800) 635-6106 and get the facts straight from them.

Rollin_Free

So now I see and understand the issue you've been discussing. I don't have this in my 2015 Duramax and until this posting didn't realize manufactures started doing this. Curious if all manufactures are installing them or is it a RAM only option? I'm looking at a 2016 Chevy brochure and don't see the pucks. It does mention the 5h wheel/gooseneck prep package but can't quite see what that is in the pictures.

Doublegranch - Anyway glad you've got the answer you were looking for regarding the rear pucks. How many more days before you head to the factory?

Last edited:

Doublegranch

Not sure yet...still pending a build date!! Hope to have an answer by next week...
Have a Rally in NM & Colo the first two weeks in May...so really need it by then...

By the way, Ford also offers the complete fifth wheel package as well...it's not just a Ram thing!

Bohemian

Ram and Ford have optional fwctory 5th wheel puck systems. GM, Chevy do not.

Last edited: