Anode (Magnesium) Rod change frequency

mobilcastle

Those of you who fulltime. How often do you need to change this rod out when living in your rig 24/7.
Thanks
Steve

jbeletti

For me, usually annually. If I had a reason to pull the rod sooner, I would inspect and replace earlier of needed.

MTPockets

I had to change mine once after four months. I checked mine again recently after 9 months and it still is well over 3/4 good, so I drained tank sediment and put it back in. I believe it has to do with minerals and sediments in the water. Since I added the filtration and water softener, the rod is lasting much longer.

rxbristol

I'm not using a filter or water softener and have hard water...after six months it was about 50-60% gone. If you change it out, it's recommended you use the magnesium rod.

Westwind

It's the water - if you suspect the water in the campground your staying is hard then I would check it at least every 6 months minimum. I had a water softener on the FW for 4 months and the anode rod was at least 60 gone. We use a washer in the FW so I'm sure that had a little to do with it but we are big water users so I wasn't surprised when I checked it. Flushing out the tank is also a necessity, I had a surprising amount of stuff in the tank when I flushed it out. The anode rods aren't expensive and it's worth being safe rather then sorry.