Another 2009 Cyclone Frame bites the dust

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Just after we purchased our 2009 3950 I saw posts on this forum discussing cracks and failure of the Lippert frame in the area of the pin box. I was mortified and constantly checked for potential issues with our unit. All was well until this summer. After arriving in Maine with the camper I discovered a large crack in the sidewall under the bedroom slide. As I lowered the unit off my truck the bulge that had been present disappeared. I brought the unit home last week and can now confirm that our unit has joined the failed frame club. I will be contacting customer service sometime on Monday, but figured I would share some pictures of the issue for the members. Hopefully we can come to some agreement on who is picking up the cost of fixing this defect.

Wish us luck!

FJ20140820_165806_resized.jpg20140820_165758_resized.jpg20140820_165826_resized.jpg20140928_170112_resized.jpg20140928_170121_resized.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you make the call, be sure to have you VIN handy.
They will want pictures of the problem areas as well as a picture from the front and rear.
I expect that they will correct the problem on their dime, but I cannot speak for them, only from my personal experience.

Let us know how you make out.

Peace
Dave

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
I sent Heartland the pictures and VIN via email this morning. We will see what Monday morning brings. The trailer made it back from Maine so I will be willing to risk it out to Elkhart unless they have someone nearby that is competent to make the repairs - I am not hopeful they do.

gpshemi

I don't think I'd tow that personally. I'd make them tow it. I'd also prefer it to be repaired at the factory. This isn't their first rodeo.

wdk450

Well here is the Gospel from Heartland on Pin Box frame flex as I experienced it in 2013:

1. Repairs are ONLY done by Heartland at their Elkhart factory service bays.
2. Heartland will not pay for anyone else to do the pinbox frame flex repairs.
3. Heartland will ONLY transport trailers within their original warranty period (1 year) to Elkhart. Trailers out of the original warranty period are the owner's responsibility to get to Elkhart.

I had my local independent RV repairer do a preliminary repair good enough to get me from Northern California to Elkhart for $1400. He estimated full repair at $3500.

With my current suspension/frame damage in mind, I strongly urge anyone getting their trailer welded on for any reason to also get re-enforcement tubing welded in side-to-side between the spring hangar points. I now believe that this is a pay me now or pay me (much more) later proposition. While in Elkhart strongly consider getting MorRyde Independent suspension and disk brakes installed (then you won't need the re-enforcement tubing).

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
Bill, thank you for your input and advice. I am pleased to say that the factory has been helpful and will pay for the repairs as long as I get it to them. I am going to give it a try anyway. Have to wait till December.

wdk450

FJ:
Just a thought, if you could wait to use the trailer until next June. The 2015 Heartland National Owners Rally is scheduled in nearby Goshen, Indiana next June. You can find the rally thread on the portal page. Maybe you could get your repairs scheduled for just before or just after the national rally. That is what I did.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
FJ, now that is a company standing behind their product. Most companies, being that you are out of warranty by several years, would tell you "too bad...so sad"

adam

FJ,

Sorry to hear about the damage. I trust in no time you have it all fixed up.

I hate to be a computer desk quarter back but based on those photo's it would be a real long shot taking that trailer on the highway. With all due respect would you want to follow that unit up the highway if someone was towing it for repairs??

Costing aside, you would be able to run that through insurance due to road damage and get someone with equal skillset locally to make the welding repairs then you don't have to haul it to the manufacturer.

Keep us advised.

fjspinelli

Common Sense Jake
My daughter and I towed the RV out to Elkhart on December 14th, arriving around 10 PM. We met the most helpful security guard in the world, who was able to give us the history of Heartland AND tell us the best place to park the unit. He explained that the staff usually starts arriving between 5 and 6 AM and that if I left it where they would have to move it to open a door I would have their immediate attention. We went to the Hotel and returned at 8 AM the next morning. We arrived to find that the entire front of our RV was already removed and that Lippert was already on the way with a supervisor. The staff could not believe we made it to Elkhart. The one week window for repair that was originally forecast was out the window. We returned home after touring a good number of factories and helping the local and Chicago economies. I received a call last week letting me know the unit is repaired completely and ready for pick up. Heartland and Lippert have picked up all cost and are going to reimburse us for fuel due to us having to come back home and return. I have nothing but great things to say about the entire experience and will go get the unit when it stops snowing here.