Another Blowout story

TireHobby

As some of you may know I use a number of different names in the numerous RV forums I join and participate in. I follow the RV trailer tire threads and have compiled a large inventory of reference material. I’m not an engineer nor have I ever worked in the tire industry. However, I have worked in the rubber industry. I was formally trained while in the military on breaks - all types - and the various hydraulic/pneumatic systems that power them and wheels and tires. I was also a certified instructor in those items. So my observations of RV trailer tires are not from a complete novice.

Although the GY G614 tire is certified as a Light Truck tire it is still basically designed for use on trailer axles. Being a steel cased (unisteel) tire it only has a four year warranty. Being designed for the trailer axles it will have many of the same chemical compounds as the Special Trailer tire and will degrade faster than the Passenger or LT tire, especially when operating close to it’s maximum load capacity. Because it’s an LT tire many RV trailer owners want (do) to apply the load inflation chart and feel it will prolong their tires life. Remember, this is a trailer tire and it needs every pound of load capacity it has available to prolong It’s life. Besides, what base pressure would you use to establish a point on the load inflation chart. Did the RV MFG recommend 110 psi on the tire placard? There is no safe lower place to go to.

The bottom line with the G614 is it’s a very good tire when operated within the parameters set by the tire manufacturer. The major problem seems to occur when the RV manufacturer does not allow the G614 to have enough reserve load capacity. When used on the 7000# axles that are carrying very close to maximum axle loads the G614 is failing early and often. When the G614 has more than 400# of reserve load capacity per position it seems to be lasting out to and beyond it’s warranty period.

That’s just food for thought guys/gals. Almost all RV trailers can hold thousands of pounds above their GVWR. Most owners don’t even know when they are overweight. Unless you have weighed it somewhere along your journeys you just might be over. We were when we first weighed ours. Full timers and weekenders with kids want to carry the “kitchen sink”. LOL!

TireHobby

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
As some of you may know I use a number of different names in the numerous RV forums I join and participate in. I follow the RV trailer tire threads and have compiled a large inventory of reference material. I’m not an engineer nor have I ever worked in the tire industry. However, I have worked in the rubber industry. I was formally trained while in the military on breaks - all types - and the various hydraulic/pneumatic systems that power them and wheels and tires. I was also a certified instructor in those items. So my observations of RV trailer tires are not from a complete novice.

Although the GY G614 tire is certified as a Light Truck tire it is still basically designed for use on trailer axles. Being a steel cased (unisteel) tire it only has a four year warranty. Being designed for the trailer axles it will have many of the same chemical compounds as the Special Trailer tire and will degrade faster than the Passenger or LT tire, especially when operating close to it’s maximum load capacity. Because it’s an LT tire many RV trailer owners want (do) to apply the load inflation chart and feel it will prolong their tires life. Remember, this is a trailer tire and it needs every pound of load capacity it has available to prolong It’s life. Besides, what base pressure would you use to establish a point on the load inflation chart. Did the RV MFG recommend 110 psi on the tire placard? There is no safe lower place to go to.

The bottom line with the G614 is it’s a very good tire when operated within the parameters set by the tire manufacturer. The major problem seems to occur when the RV manufacturer does not allow the G614 to have enough reserve load capacity. When used on the 7000# axles that are carrying very close to maximum axle loads the G614 is failing early and often. When the G614 has more than 400# of reserve load capacity per position it seems to be lasting out to and beyond it’s warranty period.

That’s just food for thought guys/gals. Almost all RV trailers can hold thousands of pounds above their GVWR. Most owners don’t even know when they are overweight. Unless you have weighed it somewhere along your journeys you just might be over. We were when we first weighed ours. Full timers and weekenders with kids want to carry the “kitchen sink”. LOL!

TireHobby

And this is exactly why when our brand new G614's (just replaced after catestrophic blowout) hit about two years of age, we will be upgrading to 17.5 rims and H load tires...we've come to the same conclusion...you just can't run these tires too close to capacity. We were weighed several times and were at least 300 lbs UNDER on each tire...and still we threw the tread off one at three years of age!!

If we hadn't been in an emergency situation, we'd have upgraded at the time of the blowout..2012 they're gone!!

P.S....and yes, the tire that blew was the one carrying the heaviest load...it had 324 lbs of capacity remaining, and it was on the ODS rear...right under the kitchen slide...

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Your 2 China bomb blowouts reminds me of our 2 China bombs that blew out in the first 2500 miles of service. Ken, we were thinking of the H upgrade too but it will have to wait for funding. Besides who know if the rig will stay together that long LOL

lwmcguir

We have run 17.5 wheels/tires on some older trailers for years. Some are so weather checked you wouldn't take them to the end of the drive on the camper but they still hold the weight. Originally you could only get a fairly narrow tire, now you have a better choice.

We are going to the 17.5 as well next year. The G614's are going on one of the stock trailers. Will look nice anyway as the wheels will match the truck we ususally tow with.

Just not worth tearing up the bottom of the trailer and I am sure not going to change tires every three years.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
UPDATE - I just received word today that our claim for the blowout damage with GoodYear has been approved. Now we are just waiting for the receipt of the check. They are paying for the replacement tire and the repair to the Coach. It is good to know there is still an American company that stands behind their product. FYI - There is a proper procedure you must follow to properly file your claim. Thank you GoodYear.