Another Flat Tire :( - Pressure Pro Works!

jpmorgan37

Jim;
Not to further confuse the issue, but my GC came with G rated LT tires. If I remember correctly, there are LT trailer rated as well as LT light truck rated tires and it all depends on how the cords are laid up, ie, driving pressure verses being pulled. I'll try to find that info and post it.

John

jbeletti

Tire Replacement Update $$$$ - ST235/85R-16/G

Hi all,

In a Load Range "G" tire in the size I need (235/85-R16), I can only find the Goodyear G614 RST.

Anyone used them or heard of them? They are LT, not ST. Should I be concerned?

Oh, and these babies are not cheap! Sit down for this one. $245 per tire. Just for the tire - not including mounting, balancing and taxes. I was quoted $1,145 out the door for 4 of them. Mommy - make it stop hurting :eek:

Time to call another "independent" Goodyear dealer.

On Edit: Sears item 09586458 is Goodyear G614 RST - quoted $205 per tire. Feeling better... :cool:

Jim

g614rst.jpg

Unisteel® G614 RST®

DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY TO HANDLE THE DEMANDS OF TRAILER APPLICATIONS
G614 RST
Features
Shallow tread provides even wear and reduces running temperatures for casing toughness
Solid, rounded shoulder ribs increase rib stability to promote even wear
Premium casing and mold shape design are tough and highly retreadable
Rib edge sipes and lateral grooves deliver traction
Permits towing applications
Load Inflation Tables | Warranty | Size Conversion Chart

This tire is suitable for 5th Wheel and Travel Trailer
SPECIFICATIONS
Tire Size Load Range Sidewall Tread Depth (32s) Apprvd. Rim Widths Meas. Rim Width New Tire Width Outside Diameter Max Load at Infla. (PSI) Single
*LT235/85R16 G BW 12 6.50 6.50 9.5 30.7 3750@110
*This tire requires a special high load capacity wheel andhigh pressure tire valve. Consult wheel manufacturer for proper application.
Steel/Steel Construction

Last edited:

ct0218

Jim, that's the tire I am looking at for a replacement. My Mt. Rushmore came with LT's that size. It is a trailer tire in the right size and load range. As far as I know its either that or the OEM Trail America like I have, and I'm sure that the TA's wouldn't be cheap because of limited distribution and the fact that they would come from an RV dealer. There most likely would be freight also because they would not be delivered through the normal wholesaler distribution system. I was told by the dealer here that he doubts that I would ever wear them out (the Goodyears) and that they would be due replacement because of age long before they wore out

Last edited:

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Jim
Yep, this the only one I have found that is a All steel "G" rated tire. I have a friend that has a HR president FW (35 foot) and this is the tire that came on the coach. He has a number of miles on these and they are wearing good without any problems or issues. This would be my selection for a G rate tire. As you know, the Michelin's XPS Rib is my selection for the "E" rated tires.

rock

I have been looking at purchasing a new Mt Rushmore . Looking under the specifications on the Landmark website it now lists LT235/85r17.5g rated tires for the GC,MR and Monticello.​
I at first thought 17.5's would be a good thing, but I can't seem to find any manufacturers that make that size tire. On the inflation guide posted by jpmorgan37 Goodyear lists a 215/17.5 but I can't seem to find that tire under RV tires on Goodyears site nor the 235/85r17.5 on any one elses site. Does any one know the brand Heartland uses on the Mt Rushmore and what the replacements for it might be if one has a problem.

Thanks
(new to the site,but you may fine me a regular)

ct0218

Yes, it lists the 17.5 inch tires and has for some time. When I got my Mt Rushmore in April it came with 16 inch tires. Not sure where they came up with the 17.5, the 16 is hard enough to find.

phranc

Hmmmm. I woder if the Bighorn can be upgraded to the 17.5 tires..And wheels of course........Although I have had not one iota of tire problems with the present 'G' rated tires, but I sure would consider a change over at tire replacement time..

Tom of Ypsi

The Goodyears you are looking at are the same ones my ex dealer put on my coach when I needed two tires. The only problem is that they put the new tires, Goodyear LT's, on the same side and left the other side with the ST tires. This is just one of many reasons why they are my ex dealer, will only use them if I have to.

ct0218

You'll have a little higher center of gravity--not good; more miles out of a set of tires--good. How is the pricing and load range on 17.5? Steel wheels?

nhunter

Jim, one more pestering question on your pressure pro. When you unhook your truck from your trailer what happens. Does the reciever in your truck do anything to alert you to the missing sensors (no trailer behind you) or do you unhook as normal and continue on?

jbeletti

Nope - there is no nag from the receiver after I pull away from the trailer. If you manually cycle through the tires on the receiver, you'll get the alarm tone (piercing shrill) and a -- in the display.

I will upload a pdf file of the Pressure Pro manual to the forum tonight.

I spoke to Tim Lazaroe, owner of RVCams earlier this week about becoming the first (non-banner) product advertiser on this forum. Look for his ad on an RV'ing product forum soon.

Jim

Last edited:

bajaron

Bajaron
Jim

I didn't think that load range E tires were rated for more than 80 PSI ?:confused:
And if you have 'E' rated tires will the rims take the extra pressure of
'G' rated tires ?:rolleyes:
I have used LT235 on my 25' boat and 30' trailer without any problems.
But not for the weight you are carrying :)

nscaler2

Tire Prices

Jim,
Just got around to seeing your post on the Goodyear Unisteel tires and prices. I just replaced the Missions on our Bighorn with Michelins. I got them at a tire dealer called NTB. While everyone else was wanting $250-300 each, I got them from NTB for $179 each plus mounting and balance. Check them out they may be less expensive than the rest. I don't know if they have a dealer close enough to you. You can do a search for dealers on their web site

http://www.ntb.com/index.do

Hope this helpsNone

jbeletti

Bajaron,

I have load range G tires and my rims are rated for 110 PSI. Knowing that now, that is what I am looking for - a good quality load range G tire in the size I need.

nscaler2,

Thanks. I have checked with NTB. Checked Firestone and all their brands too. Plus Michelin. So far as I have found, besides the Load Boss brand I have now, only the Goodyear LT235/85R-16/G tires will work for me.

This Sunday is Friends and Family night at Sears so we should be able to get 10% off the $205 I was quoted over the phone. Sounds like the best deal I am going to get.

Another decision is do I get 4 or 5? If I get 4 and wreck one, I'd have to limp along on the un-matched spare, then source and buy another Goodyear. I may just get 5.

Just when I thought I was done making decision, now I need to consider getting a 5th matching aluminum rim to replace the steel painted spare tire rim. It would be nice to if I have to have a flat repaired, to put on the spare and leave it on! May not make sense though if the tread is no as worn??

Jim

On Edit: Added pdf brochure from Goodyear on the Unisteel G614 RST (regional service trail position) tire that it looks like I will be ordering on Sunday.

Attachments

• G614RST.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Be careful changing tire sizes

For those of you considering going from 16" to 17.5", better look at your axle spacing. I know that some of the rigs at the Rally had tires closer together than others. Someone saw my Bal wheel chock between my tires at the Rally and wondered how I was able to get them to work. Upon investigation we learned that the axles between rigs had different spacing. We did not look at tire sizes to see if maybe that was also an additional difference.

Jim,
I like your idea about matching spare rims. I had always felt that way about my truck also but could never seem to come up with money to do it. Something else always came up. As far as tread wear between the spare and your other tires, that will be an issue regardless of the rim the spare is mounted to.

Mark

The RV-Ramblers

BigHorn Owners
There is a post on this forum relating to the distance (spacing) between the axles changing as its load in changed. This seems true of ours as the spacing is smaller on the off-door side where its weight is more. In fact, our BAL wheel chock barely fits on that side.

rock

Update on the 17.5"tires. I just looked at an 07 Mt Rushmore and it still has the 16" tires. The dealer called the factory and the official response was that the website is wrong and they don't have nor are they going to have 17.5" tires. The whole thing seems a little strange to me. It takes 2 minutes to change the website (how long has it been that way). Doesn't any one check the posted specifications. You can't even check your own advertisement.

jbeletti

Replacement Tires Purchased - Goodyear Unisteel G614 RST

Bought 5 new tires tonight. They'll arrive in a couple of days. Here's what I got:

Sears Auto Center
Goodyear G614 RST 235/85-R16/G
Sears stock # 09586458
$204.99 each sale price (less additional Friends and Family and Associate Discounts)

Planning to call a big truck service center next to a truck stop near my home CG to see if they can do handle the demount, remount and balancing. I am waiting on mounting the 5th new tire until I get a matching aluminum rim to use for the spare. I have a steel rim with another brand tire as a spare now.

Jim

ct0218

That is a good price for a GST--while high compared to most tires, it is a low volume/high load tire.