Another Landing Jack Issue

Dee

Hi All we just returned from a 4000 plus trip and a couple days ago, we put the jacks down to get the truck out from under the rig. jacks started slowly then raised the rig a little then the motor continues to run but nothing happening? I reversed the switch it went down , so raised it again and it went up ??
So I left the truck hooked up and headed for home, when I got home it worked fine ? I am guessing couple of stripped teeth but not sure ? I have blocked the trailer up and will be taking things apart this am.
I tried posting or the regular way but could not get the return to work?
Guess it is not my week?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Being an 08, I'm guessing electric. The first thing that comes to mind is the gear reduction unit case screws might be loosening up a bit. In the front storage bay, look to the right (Off door side) for a black plastic case. It's mounted to the top of the leg. You should see several screws/bolts around the perimeter of the case. Make sure they are tight. I think I used a Nut Driver because I didn't want to over tighten them.

Dee

Sorry Ted should have put that in Electric Venture models I called the local Big Horn Dealer here locally and was told no repair they must be replaced? No shocker there, but I also called a RV repair place and was told they would check on it but thought replace was the only way to go? No prices yet but I know it is going to be up there, funny though on my trip I was told by a repair place that parts were indeed available to fix them? Guess I should have stayed in Wa and got them fixed?? After removing them from the trailer I can see nothing wrong with the bevel gears on top, although they are sharper than I would think they should be? But I can see no evidence of them jumping or slipping, so the bad gear must be either the acme screw or nut, and I have not got that out yet. Sorry to go on so long. Dee

wyleyrabbit

I've been there, done that with our Bighorn.

I've had to replace the gearbox twice and have had to replace one of the landing gear legs. Both parts can be ordered directly from the very helpful people at Venture Manufacturing. I dealt with Patty, but they're all pretty friendly there.

Here's their contact info: Venture Manufacturing in Ohio. 866-365-1957

I'm pretty sure I could swap out a gearbox myself now in about 30 mins, start to finish. It's very straightforward. The landing gear leg was a bit trickier, so I'd give myself about an hour if I had to do it again.

Good luck!

Gary521

If the motor is running and the leg is not moving it's probably the gearbox. The gearbox slides onto the drive shaft for the leg - nothing to get loose there. If the motor is running and you hear clicking, then this is the clutch slipping. The clutch is part of the motor assembly. Frequently, the screw inside of the leg get messed up from the lack of lubrication - this could cause the clutch to slip too.

Dee

Boy reading the posts so far I have to wonder if a guy would be better off going with another brand? I see Bull Dog 10000 lb with two motors advertised on a couple sites for under $600 ? And I am sure there are others ?What are your guys thoughts on that? My concern I have not found the culprit yet although I am leaning toward a stripped acme nut on the long shaft in the leg, But I have been wrong before? Am getting no help from Rv folks here locally.Dee

wyleyrabbit

Dee,

If you give the friendly people at Venture a call, they'll tell you how to troubleshoot this. If memory serves, a gearbox is only $65 plus shipping. It's an easy job.

Chris

wdk450

Boy reading the posts so far I have to wonder if a guy would be better off going with another brand? I see Bull Dog 10000 lb with two motors advertised on a couple sites for under $600 ? And I am sure there are others ?What are your guys thoughts on that? My concern I have not found the culprit yet although I am leaning toward a stripped acme nut on the long shaft in the leg, But I have been wrong before? Am getting no help from Rv folks here locally.Dee

I thought about replacing my landing gear system with one form Domar Mfg., but found that I would have to have the welded leg connection straps cut off the frame and new ones welded in at a different highth, as the leg attachment support lips are at a different highth on the 2 brands, otherwise they are identical.

57chevyconvt

The Domar gear box will interchange with the Venture gear box for about 1/2 the price. Bought one from each vendor, the upgraded Venture (aluminum housing instead of plastic) and the Domar are the same box from the same subvendor.

Dee

Ok thanks to everyone, what a great forum this is. I spoke with Patty and everything needed will be shipped Fri so hopefully I will be up and running in a week ?Thanks all.Dee

Dee

Ok got repair parts from Patty, after repair everything working fine . I upgraded to the two motor system and while it is still slow it lifts rv without any issues. Thanks for the help guys and gals.Dee