Another leaking waste tank question-

pjaylor

Hi, I'm new to the forum so hello! We are having trouble with our Elkridge waste tank valve. We close it after draining the tank but it seems to not close completely. My husband has tried to clean it with water. He also has used a chimney cleaner to scrub any debris. But we are now thinking the valve needs to be replaced. Any other thoughts on solutions to this messy problem? Thanks in advance! Pat

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You may be able to rent a digital camera inspection unit that would allow you to view the interior of your pipes and the valve to see what is causing all the problems. Harbor freight even sells one that I have linked to as an example http://www.harborfreight.com/digital-inspection-camera-67979.html
image_11494.jpg

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That is not an uncommon problem. There may be one of several problems.
There could be some debris caught in the valve gasket, the seal may be bad or the valve linkage is not allowing it to close.
I would put my money on debris stuck in the gasket.
It is important to flush your tank each time it is drained. It is also important to drain a full tank. If need be after a short trip to add water by filling the toilet a few times and flushing plenty of water down before opening the valve.
One thing that many of us use it the Valtera twist on valve at the end of the drain pipe. This is a great thing to use. No more surprises when removing the drain cap.
images

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I get the same problem sometimes it leaks next time it doesn't, I use the Valtera valve the same as Dave, no more leaks !!

aatauses

You have received some good advice, so I will only add one more thing to consider. The valve may need lubrication to close easily and completely. Drop the belly and there is a small piston on the end of the valve---lube and see if that corrects the issue
al
currently in Kenai, AK

Garypowell

I f you do decide to drop the belly you might think you cannot get to the valve to take it out but:

1. Put the unit on blocks such that any remaining waste is forced to the other side of the tank....away from the valve. One to two blocks would do this. Plus it makes it a little easier to get under the rig.

2. I cut the pipe on the other side of the valve from the tank. You will see the line is attached to the tank via a hose clamp.

3. Take it out and then you can disassemble and clean/fix.

4. When you reinstall use a rubber plumbing sleeve to fix the cut. If it ever happens again you loosen the hose clamps and remove the sleeve.

Even with this fixed I still always use the twist on gate valve mentioned above.