Another Not So Happy Camper - Happy Now

JanAndBill

Just got our unit back from a warranty repair on the black tank valve. First trip out, I went out to dump the tanks awhile ago and noticed something hanging down under the trailer. It was the 2" vent that's supposed to supply heat to the underbelly. Reason it was hanging down was because rather than drop the coroplast they cut out a large hole around the pipes. Now I have a large opening in the underbelly, with nothing to protect it from the elements but a flapping piece of foil insulation. I know I should have crawled under the trailer to check before I left, but I was already po'd because they had left wiring hanging in the storage compartment, hadn't bothered to secure the bulkhead, and hadn't finished all the items that were supposed to be fixed. It's to late to get Heartland on the phone today, but first thing in the morning we are going to have a talk. This is unacceptable.

danemayer

Re: Another Not So Happy Camper

Hi Jan & Bill,

It sounds like they cut the front section of the coroplast that's underneath the drop frame. If so, there really was no reason to cut it. They could have just removed the whole front section, or maybe just take out 1/2 the screws and let it hang down. I've done both on our Landmark and it's not that big a deal, although wrestling with the coroplast by yourself can be a chore. They just took a shortcut.

The dealer should be able to get a replacement piece of coroplast locally within a day or two to replace the front section. Of course, they probably would prefer to patch it using tape or pop rivets rather than spend $100-200 on a large sheet of coroplast.

jimtoo

I would think you need to get your dealer on the phone, they are the ones responsible for the repairs they do. Heartland pays them to do warranty work.

Jim M

JanAndBill

Hi Jan & Bill,

It sounds like they cut the front section of the coroplast that's underneath the drop frame. If so, there really was no reason to cut it. They could have just removed the whole front section, or maybe just take out 1/2 the screws and let it hang down. I've done both on our Landmark and it's not that big a deal, although wrestling with the coroplast by yourself can be a chore. They just took a shortcut.

The dealer should be able to get a replacement piece of coroplast locally within a day or two to replace the front section. Of course, they probably would prefer to patch it using tape or pop rivets rather than spend $100-200 on a large sheet of coroplast.
\

No they cut out a section about 2' by 3' around the area where the sewer pipes go through. Why I have no idea. I've dropped it before by myself, it can be a little aggravating but it's not that difficult. I'm a little apprehensive about going back to the same dealer because of their lack of attention to details. I'm not going to agree to a patch job on this, there's going to be a whole new piece installed and the pipes sealed like it came from the factory.

JanAndBill

2.jpg
Got off the phone with Customer Service this morning. They couldn't understand why this was done either. Guess I'll see how good Heartland Customer Service is.

JanAndBill

Day 3 begins without response. Heartland claims the dealer hasn't responded. I called the dealer the day before I called Heartland, they haven't called me back either.

jayc

Legendary Member

That should tell you where the problem lies. A dealer that won't respond to either you, their customer, or Heartland, their supplier. I would call the dealer back and speak with the general manager or the owner and tell them of your problem and see what happens.

If this doesn't work, call HL back and see if there is another dealer or shop that they can recommend. Remember that HL can and will allow you to take it anywhere for service with prior approval.

danemayer

I think you're going to have to work this out with the dealer. Heartland can put some pressure on the dealer to make it right, but the damage was caused by the dealer. No different than if they had caused damage while moving the trailer around their lot.

Garypowell

I would get the salesman involved first. While you are telling him about the concern simply ask for the general managers contact information and see what happens.

Of course if one area of a dealership is rotten.....it probably is pervasive. Something about those birds of a feather!

kowAlski631

Another Not So Happy Camper

Are you close enough to pay a personal visit to the dealer? It's easy to forget/ignore a phone message, but a person standing there isn't so easy. A "drop in" to ask questions without an appointment might not have the owner on site, but I'd sure take the chance. JMHO, Martha

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Bill, if HL can, they will put pressure on the dealer. Sorry to say, but the dealer is at fault....not HL. RV dealers are not like car dealers. The only thing that HL can do in this case is not pay the dealer for the repair. They might even back charge the dealer for the next repair. When you call HL, ask if you can take your coach to an independent shop or another dealer to have it repaired correctly.

JanAndBill

Seems the plot has thickened. Dealer never sent in a warranty claim for reimbursement on any of the work. Still have an ace in the hole that I feel will make the dealer want to resolve this quickly.

JanAndBill

Thanks to my old standby duct tape, and a gabage bag, I have a temporary cover over the hole. Yesterday in route the wind caught the insulation and pulled it out, luckily I caught it before it ripped it out. Spoke with the CSR yesterday, still no call back from dealer, CSR keeps calling leaving voice mail and gets no response. Did verify that the dealer had ordered and received the replacement cabinet door and slide seals. They didn't file a warranty claim on that either. Guess next week, will make a personal visit to the dealer.

danemayer

If you want a better patch, Home Depot carries coroplast that's used for yard signs. I think the size is 2' x 3'.

JanAndBill

Spoke to the dealer today. New sheet of coroplast on order. We shall see.

Speedy

Bill, which Heartland dealer are you working with here in Alabama? I would like to know in order to avoid the place for service and make sure my MIL does not purchase her first coach there. She's getting closer to pulling the trigger each day. Tanks.

dave10a

When I had dealer problems similar to this with my Tiffin Motor home, Ol man Tiffin himself got involved and the situation was taken care of. I wonder why non-family owned large corporations can'r do the same.

JanAndBill

Bill, which Heartland dealer are you working with here in Alabama? I would like to know in order to avoid the place for service and make sure my MIL does not purchase her first coach there. She's getting closer to pulling the trigger each day. Tanks.

John, I don't want to knock the dealer down just yet. The shop manager is a really nice guy. I believe he tries, but I also think he's not paying close enough attention to the details going on in his shop. Possibly because he's being asked to wear to many hats, and maybe a little lacking in organization skills. After I explained the things that I was upset about he agreed to do whatever was necessary to make it right. Others have posted on here about the difference in service between a dealer and an independent shop. I tend to agree with those statements, because the shop does tend to have unreasonable demands put on it by the sales floor.

Speedy

I understand your point but I would hate to find out that my coach is in for repair at the local dealer only to find out that the service staff has no quality in the repairs they perform. I would rather be forewarned that there could be problems with the quality of a repair than have repeats of what you are going through. For this very reason I will not take my BC to the Heartland dealer in Calera.

I do use rvservicereviews.com when needed and add my own reviews when serviced was preformed.