Antifreeze in the lines.

btbaillie

We are about to take out our new Sundance and it was winterized at the factory with antifreeze. There are 2 valves under the trailer, one is red the other blue. If I open the valve, antifreeze comes out. Are these the drains for the fresh water tanks? Should I drain them before putting in water? Should I put in water and drain them again to get the antifreeze out?

Thanks,

Bruce

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We hooked the city water line onto the camper and ran all the lines to clear them of the antifreeze by opening all the faucets. If the Sundance has a washer/dryer hook-ups, you will need to run water thru that lines as well. If you don't, it will mold in the warmer weather and really stink.

evolvingpowercat

They likely drew the antifreeze in via an access tube in the compartment where the pump is, you should flush using your onboard fresh water tank and the pump too to get the rv antifreeze flushed out completely there too. Also if there was anti-freeze in the unit then the hot water heater was also likely also put into winter storage mode as well so you may need to change the 3 valves at the hot water tank from bypass mode to normal mode. There may also be a open drain plug on the hot water heater tank you need to put back too.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There should be no antifreeze in the fresh water tank
However, it would be wise to run fresh water through the pump.

Peace
Dave

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
We are about to take out our new Sundance and it was winterized at the factory with antifreeze. There are 2 valves under the trailer, one is red the other blue. If I open the valve, antifreeze comes out. Are these the drains for the fresh water tanks? Should I drain them before putting in water? Should I put in water and drain them again to get the antifreeze out?

Thanks,

Bruce

It sounds like you have low point drains. Opening the valves on those will simply drain most, but not all, of the anti-freeze that was in the lines. You still need to switch your hot water heater by-pass valves back to the operating position (your dealer should have shown you how to do that) and switch the winterization valve back to normal operation. Then you can hook up to a water supply and flush out the remaining anti-freeze. In our 2009 Sundance, the winterization valve was behind a wall in the storage compartment and the hot water heater bypass valves were behind a removable panel inside the trailer. Not sure where they are in yours. Again, your dealer should have pointed these out to you and explained their operation.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
When draining the antifreeze, opening the hot and cold faucets for all the sinks and showers will help drain more of the antifreeze before flushing out the lines with water. I try to capture most of the draining antifreeze before using any water. I then reuse this antifreeze for the holding tanks and drains when I re-winterize. I just make sure it is not too diluted so that it still has most of its properties. It should look similar to new antifreeze. If it looks very pale or thin compared to the new stuff, I will just dump it to the holding tanks and not reuse it. I also will add a little fresh antifreeze to the drains after using the recycled stuff too.