Any 4114 owner's out there?

After talking to John at the factory, it seems that the 4114 is the direction that I am headed. So with that in mind, any feed back from current owners would be welcome! My plan is to sell the house, load my Stallion, Miles the "wonder dog", and travel as the wind blows.
Comments, suggestions, and ideas welcome. Thanks in advance.....Fred

danemayer

Hi Trucker1950

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. There's a great bunch of friendly and helpful people here, and many are full timers. I expect you'll hear from some of them about their experiences.

oscar

It looks a lot like the 4200 we own, which we like a lot, with some minor layout differences. We love the space and comfort and the three axle tracks like a train on rails. Design and execution are adequate. Yes, some things aren't quite bullet proof and you're always running around fixing things, but that's what you get for the money. If you want better quality you're going to spend a LOT more. Again, for the money we think it's great value.

The only advice I want to give you, especially since you're going full time which always means more "stuff" than simply vacationing, is to do your homework on the weights very, very carefully. Learn how to figure GVW using empty weight and adding stuff and liquids (Propane, gasoline if so equipped, water, holding tanks)

1 Get enough truck, or more. One ton dually with diesel from any of the big three is adequate, nothing less. An F450 or and MDT/HDT is of course better.

2 Watch your options. They come out of your CCC. (Cargo carrying capacity). AC's, bigger fridge, auto leveling, extra awnings, porch kits, extra TV's, electric beds, washer dryer etc. etc. it all adds up. Weights listed on website and brochure do not include all options. Weights listed on brokerage websites are notoriously wrong, often for a reason, see #3.

3 The ONLY useful empty weight number for a specific unit is the yellow sticker on the left front. It is the actual weight MEASURED as it left the factory. You will be surprised to learn how little CCC a thoroughly equipped unit has.

4 And that means you will probably end up running overweight at some point. Now, at 18,000# GVWR being 1000# over is only 5.5%, well within established engineering parameters. Still, you may want to consider 7000# axles, and 17" 4800# wheels/tires although I don't know if the latter is an option. Research TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system). There is discussion on this forum on them, and although some don't see the value, most agree that watching the pressure and temperature in ALL tires can be an early warning system for serious trouble.

5 Get an air pin box, or even better an air fifth wheel hitch. With an 18,000# (plus) trailer and a 9000# truck connected to each other with rigid steel the trailer wins when the road gets rough. Not unstable, just uncomfortable being horsed around in the front seats.

Finally, the option I don't have and wish I had is the cold weather package. Full timing energy cost will be an issue, so more insulation is better. Of course it also adds weight. See #2

My $.03

(edited for spelling)

It looks a lot like the 4200 we own, which we like a lot, with some minor layout differences. We love the space and comfort and the three axle tracks like a train on rails. Design and execution are adequate. Yes, some things aren't quite bullet proof and you're always running around fixing things, but that's what you get for the money. If you want better quality you're going to spend a LOT more. Again, for the money we think it's great value.

The only advice I want to give you, especially since you're going full time which always means more "stuff" than simply vacationing, is to do your homework on the weights very, very carefully. Learn how to figure GVW using empty weight and adding stuff and liquids (Propane, gasoline if so equipped, water, holding tanks)

1 Get enough truck, or more. One ton dually with diesel from any of the big three is adequate, nothing less. An F450 or and MDT/HDT is of course better.

2 Watch your options. They come out of your CCC. (Cargo carrying capacity). AC's, bigger fridge, auto leveling, extra awnings, porch kits, extra TV's, electric beds, washer dryer etc. etc. it all adds up. Weights listed on website and brochure do not include all options. Weights listed on brokerage websites are notoriously wrong, often for a reason, see #3.

3 The ONLY useful empty weight number for a specific unit is the yellow sticker on the left front. It is the actual weight MEASURED as it left the factory. You will be surprised to learn how little CCC a thoroughly equipped unit has.

4 And that means you will probably end up running overweight at some point. Now, at 18,000# GVWR being 1000# over is only 5.5%, well within established engineering parameters. Still, you may want to consider 7000# axles, and 17" 4800# wheels/tires although I don't know if the latter is an option. Research TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system). There is discussion on this forum on them, and although some don't see the value, most agree that watching the pressure and temperature in ALL tires can be an early warning system for serious trouble.

5 Get an air pin box, or even better an air fifth wheel hitch. With an 18,000# (plus) trailer and a 9000# truck connected to each other with rigid steel the trailer wins when the road gets rough. Not unstable, just uncomfortable being horsed around in the front seats.

Finally, the option I don't have and wish I had is the cold weather package. Full timing energy cost will be an issue, so more insulation is better. Of course it also adds weight. See #2

My $.03

(edited for spelling)

Thanks Oscar, I'll be doing my research. As to your comments, my tow vehicle is a M2-112 Freightliner with a 415 Mercedes and Allison 6 speed. Options will be an issue, but I plan on going to 7k axles and 17" wheels with increased load range sneakers. Most likely I'll be having the More-ride IS and disc brakes added. I have to get into some units and really check the 12' garage out, my Stallion I just a shade long. Maybe I can figure some thing out and have some other floor plans to consider.

oscar

You sound like you have a handle on it. Good luck, and let us know what happened.