Any Canadians that purchased from Holman RV in Ohio??

Arly

Just wondering if there are any Canadians that have purchased through Holman RV in Ohio...if so can you please share your experience...good or bad

We are considering purchasing from the United States...but we are a bit leary...any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks
Arlene

Geodude

I'm just back from purchasing at RV Capital Wholesalers, and importing to Ottawa. They were good to deal with, and importing is an easy experience.

wonka

We had been dealing with Tony Z there, but someone else pulled the trigger on the trailer first, we ended up buying from Wagner's. It was way easier than importing my quad, really no tougher than bringing home booze. If you have questions shoot me a message.
Bill

Moose

I picked up my BH in Maine in September and bgrought it home to Nova Scotia with no problems.

Do the RIV (Registry of Imported Vehicles) thing first and its a breeze.

With the Canuckbuck at ~$1.05 the time is right.

Arly

Wow that gives me good feelings all of the posts then...I have read on the website where we are dealing that they have had many happy customers...but it is just reassuring to know they really exist!! Thanks so much for all your feedback..."no tougher than bringing home booze" i like that!! Yes the Canuckbuck is at a great value...i hope we take advantage before it falls again! ;)

Geodude

If you haven't gone thru it before (I only have to go to MTO now, and am awaiting my RIV sticker), here are the steps. It's quite simple, despite the gloom and doom scenarios painted by a couple of Ontario dealers who evidently are more interested in scare tactics than in being competitive. Their loss, as far as I'm concerned:

1. Call dealer to get VIN.

Get insurance coverage before trip.

Wire funds to pay for trailer 10 days in advance of pickup and call to verify receipt before leaving.

Once at dealer get bill of sale, title/ownership (shows clear title, no liens on the unit), temporary trip permit, a no outstanding recall letter (from dealer of mfgr, on letterhead). May have to sign document indicating not paying state sales tax and exporting; (the recall letter may not be an issue as RIV has a database with all manufacturers listed and they know if there are any outstanding recalls.

At the border answer the normal questions and when asked about value of the goods importing tell the customs agent you’re importing the trailer. The agent will fill out a yellow declaration card and send you to the customs office.
6. In the customs office fill out Form 1 (they should provide a completed sample or describe what to fill out). Fill in the following:
a) VIN
b) Preferred Language
c) Type of Vehicle
d) Manufacturer
e) Make
f) Model
g) Year
h) Manufacture Date
i) Vehicle Condition
j) Title Status
k) Country and State of Origin
l) Name, Address and Telephone Number

7. Agent will stamp the form, fill in their badge number and the port code, look at the ownership of the unit and the bill of sale. He/she will enter this information into the computer and indicate how much tax is to be paid based on the exchange rate at that time. Pay by credit card at the cashier.

Be sure to get a copy of the Canada Border Services Accounting Document, which is required to register the vehicle in Ontario. Make a colour copy of it when you get home, because apparently you cannot get another copy.

9. You may also get a copy of instructions on how to pay the RIV fees online but it’s not really needed.

At home go to the RIV website and enter the red number of Form 1, which is now the case number, enter the vehicle VIN, the entry port number, the custom agent’s badge number, pay $195 + tax via credit card, and give RIV an e-mail address. Then wait for the RIV inspection form to be sent, which should just take 3-4 hours.

RIV will send an email with a link to an inspection form. Log in to the RIV site by entering the case number and the last six digits of the VIN, print the inspection form, then arrange for an inspection at Canadian Tire.

On inspection day, CTC will:
a) verify the VIN;
b) write down the GVWR, Manufacture Date, GAWR for each axle, tire pressure;
c) check that all lights and reflectors met CMVSS 108 Standards, note the tire manufacturer, the type of tire on the vehicle, maximum tire load rating, maximum tire inflation pressure; and
d) stamp the inspection form and Form 1, date and sign the form, and fax it to RIV (there is no further cost at CTC for this, and the inspection takes about 15 minutes).

13. Go to MTO and provide the original ownership, the information showing no liens on the vehicle, Form 1, the RIV inspection form, driver’s license, bill of sale, Canada Border Service Accounting Document

Pay licence fees, surrender original US state ownership, receive Ontario ownership and plate.
Will receive, my mail, a Canadian compliance sticker from RIV to place on the trailer.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Not Canadian but we did purchase from Holman. PM me with any question you may have!

Good Luck on your Quest!

Just wondering if there are any Canadians that have purchased through Holman RV in Ohio...if so can you please share your experience...good or bad

We are considering purchasing from the United States...but we are a bit leary...any info would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks
Arlene

Yes, I purchased from Holman RV in Batavia, Ohio - located just east of Cincinnati. You can read my full review of the purchase experience, the condition of the unit I purchased including high resolution photos, a video walk through a narrated video of the photos and a blog of the eight-month experience. I hope you find this helpful. Browse:
The information is also available at:

Last edited by a moderator: