Any need for kingpin support???

jam20ster

We just purchased a 2016 4200 and I was wondering if there was any need for a kingpin tripod support since we have the 6 point auto level? The unit seems to be much more stable than our last rv (bumper pull), but wasn't sure since I see them on other fifth wheels we see at camp. Just wanted some input on whether it's worth it or not? Anyone on here have one on their TH's?

TxCowboy

With the six point system, probably not. Some folks still use them with a six point system but it's a personal preference.

GOTTOYS

Walk around any busy campground and you will probably find one for free. Many people have tried them but few continue to use them..Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I have one and it does work.
I don't use it because it's just one more thing to drag around.

Peace
Dave

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BLHFUN

We just purchased a 2016 4200 and I was wondering if there was any need for a kingpin tripod support since we have the 6 point auto level? The unit seems to be much more stable than our last rv (bumper pull), but wasn't sure since I see them on other fifth wheels we see at camp. Just wanted some input on whether it's worth it or not? Anyone on here have one on their TH's?

not needed on the 4200 with the 6 point system. Not needed and not worth the hassle

jam20ster

I can see the benefit for them without the auto level, just wonder how effective they are with the auto level. I have only had mine RV 3 days now but have already noticed that the tires when in auto level appear to not be under any load. They are touching the ground but not by much.

TX_Clay

Our CY 3010 is 36' long with 6 point level up and we use the tripod jack on our king pin. It does take the side to side sway out when we are moving around in the trailer. We don't go anywhere without ours.

Last edited:

iowaone

I can see the benefit for them without the auto level, just wonder how effective they are with the auto level. I have only had mine RV 3 days now but have already noticed that the tires when in auto level appear to not be under any load. They are touching the ground but not by much.
You may if site not level the tires are in the air. That never been a problem for us when it happens.

oscar

At 19000# a bit of tubing is not going to make a difference. Plus, I don't feel the need. No levelers, just landing gear, six tires and rear jacks. No movement. Tripod would be $$ and more stuff to take up space.

We have a Elkridge 37 Ultimate. Last year we used nothing other than standard cocks. This year we added 2 x-cocks and a king pin stabilizer. Not only was the wind at the coast less noticeable, but, any movement such as walking through the trailer resulted in less movement.

jam20ster

Just got back from a trip to the beach. The place I stay is called "RV on the beach" in Gilchrist, Tx. It is literally on the beach only seperated by the dunes. The whole reason I am saying this is because all the wind coming off the coast and with the 6 point auto level we never felt any side to side movement or any shaking so definetly impressed with the auto level. Also side note, is on the passenger side after it auto leveled it did pick all 3 wheels off the ground in order to achieve level. Im sure others have different experiences, but this sold me on not needing a kingpin support.

Wk15

I use kingpin tripod support when using the stackable washer and dryer, otherwise I get a vibration throughout the rig.