Any support from Heartland when buying a used Bighorn?

mrwizard

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a used '11 3800bh. Never owned an RV before and we are jumping in with both feet as the whole family is going to full-time it, 4 in all 2 kids. My wife said heartland had a big community and im beginning to see that thru this forum and the mentions of this rally in Indiana...I like what you've got going on here. Anyway, I know the dealership offers a limited warranty but is it possible to get extended warranties on used rigs? AND what kind of benefits would you say heartland has over a different manufacturer when it comes to fixing problems that may arise with a used rig. (better to deal with, better quality components, less problems,less expensive problems) Thanks in advance!

brianharrison

Welcome!

You will find the Heartland community here on the forum as well as customer service with corporate ready to help when issues arise with your new to you Bighorn purchase.
As with most RVs there will be things that arise that need looking after - it is a rolling house subject to the bumps and bounces along our highway system. The community on this forum is one of the best, in my opinion.

Heartland is responsive as a manufacturer during a warranty period to look after fixing problems with their product. In your case, the 2011 is out of warranty from Heartland and any extended warranty is only as good as the third party company providing the warranty. Most people do not have positive experiences with third party extended warranties - costly and difficult to claim. Im sure others with chime in here....

Heartland quality is better than other brands, in my opinion. I have had minor issues with my coach, others have had more, others have had none.

Hope this helps,
Brian

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Don't let your dealer sell you an extended warranty from N*Compass . . . now called 'Preserve'.

Worst company ever . . . they will leave you hanging 1000 miles from home . . . when you need them the most!

Last edited:

mrwizard

Thanks Brian,
I am pretty handy so I wont cry if I have to fix little items from time to time. In fact I doubt you could hold me back from modifying a few things. I thank you for the warning on extended warranties I think your right. Been surfing this forum all evening lots of good info and peeps here.

wehavefun

Mr Wizard

You will find the 3800 BH to be extremely well built and as far as I am concerned a GREAT layout!

We bought ours new in 2011 and have had many great memories with it. We pulled the two jacknife sofas out in the rear and I built wooden frames to put regular twin matresses on with storage underneath it is comfortable and my daughters sleep very well. We left the bunks over head and they occasionally take friends with them, with me, the wife and 4 girls the second bathroom is huge!

Enjoy your time on the road.

danemayer

Hi mrwizard,

You should be able to get an "extended warranty" (they're really service contracts) that will cover certain things in the trailer but will exclude other things. Most are focused on appliances. It's really important to carefully read the actual contract before paying. There will typically be a list of things that are covered, and a list of things that are excluded. You'll also want to understand the process for authorizing repairs. And it's probably a good idea to do a search to see if people have had good experiences with the extended warranty company. When you do, keep in mind that it's more common for dissatisfied customers to share their experiences. You might use Good Sam's coverage as a comparative reference on price along with terms & conditions. Also consider how much of a deductible you want. Low deductible drives higher policy cost.

It would be a very rare extended warranty policy that covered things like body damage or delamination, which are often caused by water leaks. So before buying any RV, you'll want to do a very thorough inspection (maybe with the help of an experienced friend, or an RV tech).

RV warranties along with the warranties on appliances and subsystems usually apply only to the original owner. Of course a 2011 will probably be at least 3 years out of warranty anyway. So in terms of fixing problems that may arise with a used rig, the support will mostly consist of parts support, guidance to help you find a qualified repair shop, and of course the very broad support that you can get from this forum and at Heartland Owners Club Rallies.

dbbls59

Most problems with any RV will appear within the first two years so any problems with a 2011 model will probably have already been addressed. I have bought two used units and had zero problems. I have bought two new units and had many problems with both. I wouldn't be concerned with a 2011 trailer. Buy it and enjoy. Perhaps we will see you in Goshen.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The only thing that HL service can give you at this point is good advise on a repair. Anytime you call for advise...make sure you have your VIN# handy. With much research...the best "warranty" would be Good Sam's. You might also look at their roadside assistance plan. If your unit has Towmax (blowmax) tires on it...get rid of them now. Your BH is heavy and a good but expensive tire is the GY G614. You did not say what your TV is...but a 350 or 3500 is what you will need....a DRW would be the best. JMHO

mrwizard

Thanks for all your perspectives... everyone!
Went to look at the rig today first time in person. She's got some wear on the interior still in great shape but you can tell previous owner didn't just let it sit. Some broken plastic handles woodwork that has settled ,nothing major. One thing that concerns me slightly is a delam the dealership will seal the area not repair that's fine. the vinyl is bubbled somewhat under the front hitch genny compartment. that means moisture but It doesn't seem like an area that would be prone to md.
I think I might get some piece o mind from hiring an inspector for this area and the hvac stuff im pretty clueless with.
We are putting the cart before the horse literally so no TV yet itll have to be a good'n cause this sucka is heavy 16000gvwr! I guess we'll be stationary until a suitable tv is found so no real need for ext. warranty right?

mrwizard

That's a good idea! Bed upgrade.....I have GOT to have a skylight over my bed....this is an absolute must how cool is that

danemayer

no TV yet itll have to be a good'n cause this sucka is heavy 16000gvwr! I guess we'll be stationary until a suitable tv is found so no real need for ext. warranty right?

If you're going to use the trailer while it sits, it's still possible you could need service. If you're not prepared to tow it to a service location, be prepared to pay for travel time charges to have a mobile guy come to you - whether you have an ext. warranty policy or not. Depending on much the travel charge is, it may be a good deal compared to hitching up and towing, but sometimes it can be a lot.

RyRoRyan

I will throw my 2 cents in here. I have a 2011 3800BH. It has been a great rig, minus a few small quality issues that I have noticed. I myself have seen this warping on the hitch area. What you will most likely find are small cracks in the caulking where the front cap connects the RV as well as the joints where it meets the side of the RV. You will need to check all caulking seals on a regular basis and make sure they are good. This is common for most 5th wheels, not just Heartland. I ended up using a few screws to keep the vinyl panel in place and then resealed. All looks good now. The other two areas that have issues are the wood panel at the pantry. It seems to have swollen a little at the bottom causing it to bubble a little there, but I can confirm that it has NEVER got wet. I am unsure why it did this. Lastly the washer dryer prep panel in the master closet was not built well in the first place and looks like it will fall apart easy. It appears it is almost just balsa wood stapled together. Other than that it has been a great rig. We use it frequently and it is reliable every time. I have added several batteries to it so that we can run a night light and other things all night for the kids when off grid. We also added a grate to the back to put our generator on it or an ATV. If I could have heartland correct one thing, it would be to use the outside the tank level meters like winnebago uses instead of in tank water level meters. These constantly get clogged they are not that easy to clean. I love mine, and would keep it for a long while except we just a bunch of foster kids and can no longer all fit in the truck. It is two cars where ever we go now. Due to this, once the truck is paid for, a Class A will be in my future.