Anyone been duped by a Truck dealer on weight ratings?

porthole

Retired
Re: Anyone been duped by a dealer on weight ratings?

A demo is still considered new until it is sold to a retail customer.

A demo typically is not titled, that makes it a new/used vehicle. Once titled, it is used.

A demo may also have been placed in service, which means it has an in-service date and a warranty mileage start.

Jim.Allison

I think this is absolutely true. If it has been titled then perhaps the dealer will make a favorable trade. If the truck is still in EXCELLENT condition. He might be able to buy his way out of the situation. Or he can advertise it and do a personal sale and proceed from there. Either way its going to cost him, how much is the key.

His cures to his problem lie in Rickson wheels and medium duty tires. He is looking at about $3000 for that. So he needs to factor that into the equation.

A demo typically is not titled, that makes it a new/used vehicle. Once titled, it is used.

A demo may also have been placed in service, which means it has an in-service date and a warranty mileage start.

danemayer

His cures to his problem lie in Rickson wheels and medium duty tires. He is looking at about $3000 for that. So he needs to factor that into the equation.
I think this assumes that the wheels and tires are the only significant difference. Some research might be needed to determine if the drive trains and suspension are the same. Brakes? I don't know if they are or not, but given that the current situation is a function of incomplete information, I'd make sure I had complete information about any possible solutions.

SteinHaus

I need a vote. I'm at the dealership and my only option is a trade and new purchase. Haven't seen the numbers, but they are taking responsibility. Fleet Manager contends he has several people pulling 23k plus with f350 SRWs like mine. He contends I'm fine, but will do what I want .

PLEASE WEIGH-in, I'm new to this and struggling!

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

QUOTE=danemayer;375801]I think this assumes that the wheels and tires are the only significant difference. Some research might be needed to determine if the drive trains and suspension are the same. Brakes? I don't know if they are or not, but given that the current situation is a function of incomplete information, I'd make sure I had complete information about any possible solutions.[/QUOTE]

jnbhobe

Well your truck won't pull that trailer safely, so if you can afford it make the trade. If they are taking some responsibility maybe they will make the deal sweet. But you need all the truck you can get for that rig.

danemayer

I need a vote. I'm at the dealership and my only option is a trade and new purchase. Haven't seen the numbers, but they are taking responsibility. Fleet Manager contends he has several people pulling 23k plus with f350 SRWs like mine. He contends I'm fine, but will do what I want .

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

I have no doubt that he knows people who are exceeding the ratings of their trucks. But the trailer you're considering will be way over the payload spec for the truck, as well as way over the towing capacity.

You want to have a truck matched to the trailer. You don't want to cause excessive wear and tear on the truck's suspension or drive train components. You want a truck that will handle well in emergency conditions. When your heavy, high-profile trailer is being pushed by crosswinds, you want the truck to stay on the road.

Get the dually.

porthole

Retired
DRW.

Your options are now:
350 DRW standard
350 DRW with the wide track axle (huge difference in turning, some increased towing and only a $400 option)
350 DRW with 4.30 axle ratios ($400 option, doubt I would get it though)
350 DRW with both the wide track and 4.30

450 DRW

porthole

Retired

Keep in mind, no matter how good the deal is, the dealer is not losing money on you, so keep up the pressure.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

THANKS EVERYONE!!!

QUOTE=danemayer;375801]I think this assumes that the wheels and tires are the only significant difference. Some research might be needed to determine if the drive trains and suspension are the same. Brakes? I don't know if they are or not, but given that the current situation is a function of incomplete information, I'd make sure I had complete information about any possible solutions.
[/QUOTE]

The problem is: Pulling 23,000lb and having a 4000lb payload on your axle/tires are two completely different things. Most truck dealers fail to comprehend this.

SteinHaus

Well, it cost me $2k more for the switch, which given the circumstance, about as good as I could expect. Thanks everyone, your help is greatly appreciated. A costly lesson, but without your help it would have been much worse!

Scott

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Peace of mind knowing you have a truck that can handle the load vs. always worrying? Well worth $2K. ;)

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I also vote for the new truck . . . and go with the dually!

I've been shopping around for a new truck the past couple of weeks, and while I don't need a dually as I have a bumper-pull trailer (a dually would be overkill for me), I feel your pain as for not having enough truck!

I've been looking at both new and used, and it seems that used trucks right now cost as much as brand new ones, so each time we look at them, the used lot is less of an interest to us, since we can get a much better loan on a new one.

My current Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 is plenty of truck for pulling around the flatlands, but when it comes to pulling up into the Rocky Mountains or crossing the Continental Divide, well, let me just say that I white-knuckle it all the way up and down the mountain passes (Wolf Creek Pass is a truck killer - remember the song?)!

It is getting old with 164,000 miles on it, so is like me in that it needs a little less pressure put on the old bones (just got home from physical therapy for an arm/muscle/shoulder issue).

And even on the flatlands, when you get that dumb@$$ that likes to pull in front of you and stop or make a right turn, you want all of the stopping power you can get!

I've had so many close calls with those knuckleheads that like to pull in front of me and stop or turn that I'm almost afraid to drive in any traffic these days . . .

Now we generally try to start and end our trips in the middle of the week so we can avoid the weekend traffic!

We have two more camping trips scheduled for this season and will probably finish out both of them with our current truck, but will most likely have a new truck for next season!

SDCampsiteSmall-IMG_0548.jpg CamperInYard-IMG_0069.jpg CampSite-P9030033.jpg SDCampsite-IMG_0546.jpg 4wheelinSig-IMGP3116.jpg TaosTruckAtGorge-P1020821.jpg Campout2012CampingWorld-PC270075.jpg SandDunesCampsite-P8167070.jpg OutOfGasInNebraska-IMG1198.jpg

pegmikef

Great, after going through basically the same deal, I bought the King Ranch last year. You will NOT be sorry with your decision!

mobilcastle

Glad you were able to make the switch without to much pain.
I have a sales background and I told it the way it was. I know I lost sales over it but the referrals kept me in business for 38 years when others went under. Their is good and bad in all professions.

rxbristol

John,

They at most will try to GET the truck through a dealer trade, but the sale man will not tell you which dealership has the truck for you to go pick it up yourself, and why is this? Commission!!

The dealer I've used over the last 17 years and have bought 9 vehicles from tells me exactly which dealer the truck is coming from--mainly because I've already done my research, know what I want and know who has it. We negotiate a price, they get the vehicle, and if I like it, we close the deal.

Jim.Allison

So the Ram 3500 SRW with AISIN transmission and 6.7 liter Cummins Diesel and rickson wheels with medium duty tires and possibly a spring modification (springs modified by local industrial spring company) is different than your rig? I'm not advocating that one buy a rig that is less than capable, for obvious reasons, but I am offering it as a solution to a difficult problem. I say if you are within the GCVWR and pin loading is your deficit then Rickson wheels may offer a solution to taking a bath on a new vehicle trade. Given that a driveline and braking system is designed to function within the tolerance of the GCVWR and all components being the same except tires and springs, where exactly would you place a weakness that needs to be addressed other than those two factors. I'm curious.

I think this assumes that the wheels and tires are the only significant difference. Some research might be needed to determine if the drive trains and suspension are the same. Brakes? I don't know if they are or not, but given that the current situation is a function of incomplete information, I'd make sure I had complete information about any possible solutions.

Miltp920

I think you did the right thing. I should be in a dually, and will be in time. YOU are not alone in the misled category. IF I could upgrade to DRW for 2K, I would do it in a heartbeat. When I buy my triple axle, I know based on this knowledgable site, DRW is a must. Even then, I will triple check that it can pull the 3 axle weight plus margin before I sign.
I have been studying weight charts and one really needs to look because a year of manufacture can make a difference, even with a DRW. I am shopping in 2003 to 2008 range and it seems only the F450 will handle the 3 axle. Newer is a different story. Good Luck. You don't have to worry now. IF you have not bought the 4200 yet, READ the posts on Towmax, and make sure your 4200 does NOT come with them. Insist on 14 ply tires.

Well, it cost me $2k more for the switch, which given the circumstance, about as good as I could expect. Thanks everyone, your help is greatly appreciated. A costly lesson, but without your help it would have been much worse!

Scott