Anyone been duped by a Truck dealer on weight ratings?

Jim.Allison

Ditto on getting out for 2K. The rig that you were dreaming about is now a reality. The rig was at the limit of anything you could do. Your choice was heavy mods to the truck you bought or change the rig you wanted. Im glad you were able to fix your problem, chaulk it up to lesson learned forget about it and be happy. There are more that feel your pain than not.

danemayer

Given that a driveline and braking system is designed to function within the tolerance of the GCVWR and all components being the same except tires and springs
Jim,

The OP said that the truck he bought had an actual GVCWR of 23,500. So the manufacturer says the driveline and braking system is designed to function within a tolerance of GCVWR of 23,500. Trouble is his actual GCVWR will be closer to 30,000.

I don't know why it would be a given that the driveline and braking system (and suspension) is designed to function the same as a dually rated for 31,900. Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe the manufacturer used all the same parts except for adding two wheels, but I wouldn't make that assumption. Research is required rather than assumptions.

rxbristol

One important item I did not see mentioned here is the differential...it can make all the difference. My current Superduty has a 3.73 and can tow 23,200 (5th wheel), but an older DRW could only tow less than 16,000. Even changing to larger rims, on the truck, can lower your tow capability because it changes the turning ratio.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am shopping in 2003 to 2008 range and it seems only the F450 will handle the 3 axle. Newer is a different story. Good Luck. You don't have to worry now. IF you have not bought the 4200 yet, READ the posts on Towmax, and make sure your 4200 does NOT come with them. Insist on 14 ply tires.

I've been shopping around for a new truck for about a month now . . .

Might as well skip the used market unless you are looking at 10 year old models . . .

Used newer trucks are at a premium right now and are priced about the same as new trucks!

However, with a new truck you will get a much better loan and interest rate, so used doesn't make much sense right now.

Heck, last Friday night I looked at a used 2013 GMC Sierra Denali with 29,000 miles and every single option available . . . man, what a sweet truck!

But I could buy a brand new 2014 Chevy Silverado with all of the same features for $10,000 less from the same dealership . . . so why would I choose the used GMC truck???

scottyb

I've been shopping around for a new truck for about a month now . . .

Might as well skip the used market unless you are looking at 10 year old models . . .

Used newer trucks are at a premium right now and are priced about the same as new trucks!

However, with a new truck you will get a much better loan and interest rate, so used doesn't make much sense right now.

I ran into the same thing and more so with dualies. I found two in a 5 county area that were clean, one exceptionally so. It was two years old and only had 11K, but the used car manager thought he was sitting on a gold mine.

Jim.Allison

Obviously misunderstood your comment.

BUT my statement was/is predicated on the notion that the GCVWR be within tolerance to begin with. If within tolerance, then no problem solving pin weight issues with Ricksons. If the TV is out of GCVWR tolerance then the problem is bigger than just pin a weight issue, take nothing more than that from my comment about Ricksons Wheels.

Whether or not a viable solution to OP, I don't know. But, I'm very happy that he was able to resolve it so inexpensively. he solved his problem for 2K, ricksons would cost 3k but perhaps more viable than taking 10k bath on trade. Rickson wheels are a viable solution for SRWs with pin weight issues ONLY. RAM and Firestone has addressed this issue of SRW vs DRW in 2014 with the addition of 19 inch tires. The gap is closing for the SWR which is what people want in a tow vehicle anyway.

Jim,

The OP said that the truck he bought had an actual GVCWR of 23,500. So the manufacturer says the driveline and braking system is designed to function within a tolerance of GCVWR of 23,500. Trouble is his actual GCVWR will be closer to 30,000.

I don't know why it would be a given that the driveline and braking system (and suspension) is designed to function the same as a dually rated for 31,900. Maybe yes, maybe no. Maybe the manufacturer used all the same parts except for adding two wheels, but I wouldn't make that assumption. Research is required rather than assumptions.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I ran into the same thing and more so with dualies. I found two in a 5 county area that were clean, one exceptionally so. It was two years old and only had 11K, but the used car manager thought he was sitting on a gold mine.

I know . . .

The dealership I bought my car from keeps calling me on a sweet 2011 Chevy 2500 SRW that they just got in . . . but the used price is only $1000 from the price of a brand new one!

Why would I even consider it?

porthole

Retired
2014 F350 Lariat DRW 4x4 8' bed. Had to downgrade from the Platinum. :-(

If the two truck are comparable in features, I would think you did alright in your trade. Jumping from SRW to DRW is $1200 MSRP difference alone, for $2K more, on a truck that probably lost 10% the minute you took possession is very good.

The Platinum is a nice package, but with the Lariat the 3 things you lost that first come to mind are the shiny tailgate cover, the Platinum stitched seats and the heated steering wheel. No great loss in those 3 upgrades.

You will be better off with this change then buying oversize tires and wheels and adding air bags just to be able to tow with some margin of comfort.
But that all said, you may be adding air bags anyway :confused:
At least now you will be within your truck's ratings instead of way over. It is very easy to get a 18K GVW 3 axle toy hauler up that 18K number and not very hard to easily surpass it.

The truck is quite capable of handling the weight, but all the Fords drop a bit until they hit the overload pads. Just enough to make the headlights a bit high on DRW's.

DRW Fords have a 2" spacer block between the axle and springs, SRW's have a 4" block so the rear end drop is not as noticeable. For this trade off though you get a lower rear end height to start with, which can be a comfort thing as well.

Good luck, I think you will be pleased with the performance. After 54K and 3.5 years with my first Ford I still am pleased. They are not perfect, but all it needs it a real exhaust brake.

porthole

Retired
Re: Anyone been duped by a dealer on weight ratings?

but the sale man will not tell you which dealership has the truck for you to go pick it up yourself, and why is this? Commission!!

Any vehicle I have ever been involved with that was purchased and obtained from another dealer is simply a "dealer trade or swap".
The other dealer has a car you want, your dealer typically swaps a stock unit. Unless the other has something that is difficult to get and then they can haggle for extra $$$.

Since you are not in possession the transfer is handled all by dealer employees and or a transport company. The actual transfer to the consumer should be transparent, other then a few miles extra the consumer really wouldn't know the difference.

If the only difference was the sales person's commission, then the salesperson has to do whatever they can to keep that commission. Auto sales is a cut throat business, and since a lot of the compensation is in the form of an advance, they are always working to catch up. Many dealers only pay their sales force a flat rate per vehicle anyway.

Besides, with the internet now, you can do your own dealer search for inventory. Search for the truck you want and go directly to that dealer.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Duane, your statement about already being titled is true to a point. Most dealers do not go to DMV everytime they sell a vehicle. Sometimes its once a week or every two weeks. If this dealer had not taken the paperwork to the DMV yet. They can unwind the deal and the OP's old truck still remains unregistered. I think the OP made out well with lesson learned.

porthole

Retired

True Bob. Here in Jersey though some dealers are now becoming agents for the State, doing all the MV stuff in house. I suppose to how often they go to MV is dependent on the size of the store. The larger dealers I worked at sometimes went a couple times a day. The one Mom & Pop store I was at did the once a week thing as you referred too. Funny how things work, that one store had some customers that had been buying cars from them for over 50 years!

SteinHaus

Well, we are now the proud new owners of a HL 4200 and thanks to everyone who shared and guide a newbie to the right TV and helped us configure a great setup. We look forward to getting to know all of you better and maybe meeting some of you someday.

Scott

danemayer

We look forward to getting to know all of you better and maybe meeting some of you someday.

Scott
Hey Scott,

The North Texas Chapter has a rally in Bullard, TX (south of Tyler) in early October, with the South Texas Chapter rally in Montgomery, TX (near Houston) the following week. Come meet a bunch of Heartland owners and show off your 4200.

Check out the EVENTS tab at the top of page for details. You can get a free introductory membership to the Owners Club that lets you attend rallies for free.

jassson007

Founding Louisiana Chapter Leaders-Retired

Hey Scott,

The North Texas Chapter has a rally in Bullard, TX (south of Tyler) in early October, with the South Texas Chapter rally in Montgomery, TX (near Houston) the following week. Come meet a bunch of Heartland owners and show off your 4200.

Check out the EVENTS tab at the top of page for details. You can get a free introductory membership to the Owners Club that lets you attend rallies for free.

And I have one in the books in December at a Toledo bend state park in Louisiana. Lol. ;)

SteinHaus

Sounds fun! I'll check with the entertainment coordinator on our schedule. Thanks for all your input.

Scott