Anyone else own a NT 26LRSS

Dewgs2

Hi: Just purchased a 2015 26LRSS. Any insight, concerns, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Waiting for summer break to do shakedown trip (cannot wait!).

davebennington

Re: New Owner

Welcome to the forum, you will find many helpful and friendly people here. Consider joining the Heartland Owners Club where you can meet face to face. Attend rallies that are held everywhere in the country.

dave

lindaw

Florida Chapter Leader - Retired

Hi: Just purchased a 2015 26LRSS. Any insight, concerns, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Waiting for summer break to do shakedown trip (cannot wait!).
Welcome to the forum and as Dave says consider joining the owners club. We have a great rally in Florida every year and if your still working, no worries, we have them Friday to Sunday.
Walter and Linda West

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new North Trail!

You'll find this forum an indispensable source for knowledge about your Heartland product. As others have said, you should think about joining the Heartland Owners Club.

Hope to see you at a Heartland Rally!

jbeletti

Dewgs2 - congrats on the NT and welcome to the forum.

Your question is pretty broad. In order to give you ideas, can you tell us, is this your first RV? What areas are you looking for insight on?

Or, perhaps you are just seeking feedback on this particular unit from those that have them?

Just trying to help :)

Dewgs2

Not new to RVing, Just seeking feedback on the 26LRSS. Any special tricks or upgrade with this particular unit?

F_Goose

Hi Dewgs,
We just purchased a '15 26LRSS; had it delivered in feb. We really love the floor plan, size and features of the North Trails. There's a few 26lrss owners out there but mostly 5ers on the forum from what I can see.

What packages did you get with yours? Caliber, Pearl, upgrades?
-I've upgraded the LR tv to a 32" and moved the 24" to the BR. 32" is there largest you can get to fit in the LR space. Get an articulated mounting arm which will allow it to move out and ahead of the slide out.
-I've installed the underbed lifters, put in a battery cutoff switch, upgraded the bathroom faucet, put in additional kitchen outlet, and installed the hooks/racks to make it our own.
-we have the pullout bumper that I modified to actually hold bikes firmly.

Let us know what you're thinking of changing/modifying and we can exchange ideas.
FG

Dewgs2

Have not thought about any Mods yet (only brought it home a week ago) but I am sure they are forthcoming. Do you feel the need for stabilizer jacks under the slide?. Did not get the Caliber ( they sold it 2 days prior) it has everything the caliber does except stainless sink, power jacks, and pull out bumper.

F_Goose

No jacks under the slide isn't necessary. The couch and dinette are in the slide so not much traffic unless you get kind of rowdy. I made 4x4 wood chocks I found elsewhere on the forum with the stab jacks so not much movement.

Do you have the u dinette or the table/chairs like we did? All our furniture in the living area can be moved to any other spot.

Hi Dewgs2 welcome to the site and congrats on the 26lrss. We just got our 2016 April 20th. It's really a2015 but I guess they start calling them the next year model in April each year. It is the exact model you have with a table and chairs.
Listen to Fred (F_Goose) as he has had some great ideas for me on our rv. I have the bathroom faucet and outl e t to install but had to catch up on some wood working before I can play with the rv more. I did put in a32"tv but went with a slightly different mount than Fred. I installed a flat mount that slides left and right but not forward. That would have been nice but best buy had the mount for 29 bucks. I may change it later.
I lost a grey water pull handle on the way back from ohio. Had it replaced. I have since unscrewed the black and gray water handle and put loc tite on them to make them stay put. I also secured the trailer brake wires better where they enter at the wheel (slide side wheels have the brake wires. Mine were hanging loose).

Once again WELCOME :)

F_Goose

Hey Ray,
Glad to see you had fun camping at the Schilke RV Resort. At least you're keeping the miles down on the TV. Did you get the full hookup site or do you have to run in the main lodge to do your business?

How do you guys like the stock sound system? I'm looking at a sound bar to put below the 32" tv. Heard any good ones to recommend?
Fred

Lol Fred we still run in the house for"official"business.
The sound system is really not the greatest. We have a Denon surround sound dvd set up in the house that is about 8 years old. It still works perfect but I am angling for a reason to get permission to upgrade the house system. I have suggested to lynda that we should spoil ourselves with a quality system in the rv by moving the house system to the rv. She seems on board so I am looking to get a better set up in the next few months. Wiring should not be too big of a problem in the rv. I think the sub woofer would fit nice in the small table between the rear chairs and existing wires would either be good for the other speakers or used to"fish" heavier wires through. The tricky part will be mounting or placing the receiver/dvd player. It is kinda big. If I can't figure out how to fit it there is always a lucky break on Craig'slist. My son in law just got an older Bose surround sound system with the mini speakers and a mid sized center channel speaker for 200. It would be perfect but he won't part with it.
Gonna look under the rv belly this week it see what's under there. Curious as to what all is jamed under there. If not too bad and crowded under the floor that may help not only wire speakers but also give me a route for 110 outlets. Ill let You know what it looks like under there but you may have already checked that out.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Do you feel the need for stabilizer jacks under the slide?.

We have a 2013 Heartland Trail Runner (although just traded it in this past weekend for a 2015 Heartland Prowler 5th-wheel) . . .

I know many here will tell you this or that about the bad things with slideout stabilizers . . . but I love them!

Our Trail Runner rocked without them, especially when one or more people would sit in the dinette, which is in the slideout!

Or when everyone was eating, you could feel the trailer want to tip to that side!

Put those stabilizers in . . . no more rocking or tipping!

I'm keeping them and will most likely use them on the big slide in our new trailer!

Now, if you really want to steady up your new trailer . . . don't use the scissor jacks for that . . . that are not up to the task!

I'm sure glad I kept my old screw-up jacks from my old trailer as I use those to level the trailer . . . and along with the slideout stabilizers, our trailer is rock steady!

CamperJacks-IMG_0507.jpg CamperSlideOutJacks-IMG_0510.jpg CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2096.jpg CheyenneMtnCO2014-IMG_2108.jpg CheyenneMntSunset-IMG_2100.jpg

Enjoy your new trailer!

bktlstrs

We have the NT26LRSS and love it. We are curious about roof care. Some trailers need the surface painted with some something to help preserve it. Does anything need to be done to help preserve the roof on the North Trail? Thanks

We love ours too but just wish we had the time to use it more. We are heading out the 30th for a 3 day weekend. During that time I will be treating the rv to a coat of 303 aerospace protectant. Not sure if it will do anything but I read good UV protection reviews.

silvasp

Great post! We currently have a 2015 22RBK we bought last year. Used it twice, decided it's to small for the two of us (the layout isn't working for us) and will likely be trading it for the 26LRSS next month.

F_Goose

Hey silvasp,
The 26lrss is a good choice. We looked at 22-23' TT's and found them too small for our comfort as well. You will be happy with the 26 footer. Good compomise for 2 people, giving you plenty of living space and a seperate bedroom. We love ours.

Let us know if you decide to upgrade.
Fred

silvasp

We had a 35' Weekend Warrior (Toy-Hauler) prior to this trailer, so we really downsized. What we REALLY miss is the captains chairs to relax on.

F_Goose

We ordered our North Trail with everything we wanted. We replaced the barrel swivel rockers (stock) with recliners. Only issue is that you need to turn one of the recliners sideways when you slide-in to travel. Also due to the distance from the rear lounge to the tv, I recommend the largest tv that will fit, a 32" in our case.

Do you already have a 26lrss unit in mind at the dealer? Or are you still looking for one?

silvasp

We bit the bullet and upgraded. Picked it up on Saturday. Already made two modifications, Upgraded the interior speakers to Kenwoods, and installed a pleated shower screen. I don't know why they only put a curtain in there...

- - - Updated - - -

We ordered our North Trail with everything we wanted. We replaced the barrel swivel rockers (stock) with recliners. Only issue is that you need to turn one of the recliners sideways when you slide-in to travel. Also due to the distance from the rear lounge to the tv, I recommend the largest tv that will fit, a 32" in our case.

Do you already have a 26lrss unit in mind at the dealer? Or are you still looking for one?

It's funny. There were two on the lot. One was a standard NT26LRSS, and a Calibre. We wanted the Caliber because it had everything we would have ordered for ourselves, but it was already special ordered for another family. We didn't want the standard model they had, so we were going to order one to match, but decided to wait a little longer. We got a call two days later from the dealer saying the family that ordered it originally fell out of financing and that the trailer was ours if we still wanted it.
So we took it!