Anyone Else See This Coming

carl.swoyer

3c75d1565616f752cfb6a3e5e791dc55.jpg

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

carl.swoyer

Lol.

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-198000 miles !

JanAndBill

I don't care if they really make it or not, I'm not buying it if it's not a Ford. :D

LOL x3. Just ordered a 16 F350. The Ram was way over priced and the dealer was a %$$ never been able to work with them. Would have went with Chevy but they were $2 k higher and didn't offer the same features as the Ford. I've looked the new Cummins engine over and like it. They had a cutaway at a show last year. Though until it's had a couple of years running we won't know how dependable it really is. Now if Ford and Cat were to team up, oh what a ride that would be!

justafordguy

I have to admit that all of the big three are super nice now days but I already put my name on the list with my dealer for a 2017 F350. He says the orders will start in April. I can hardly wait. :cool:

Since Nissan XD diesel was mentioned...

Nissan is way over-hyping this truck. Although it comes with the gooseneck hitch, one may be able to tow a double horse gooseneck trailer without exceeding the GVWR and GAWR with one or two horses inside. I don’t know how they come up with the unrealistic 12,300 towing capacity for gooseneck/5th wheel trailers when the max possible payload is only 2,091, and this particular style is not recommended for towing gooseneck trailers, etc. The Titan XD is only SAE J2807 compliant with the Class 4 Hitch.

Details here.

The J2807 standard has a loop hole built into it that allows the lighter trucks to be over GVWR but not GAWR to achieve GCWR numbers. I have copied two sections that speak to this from the standard and also had a followup email from Toyota stating that the Tundra DC is setup for towing a fifth wheel and consideration to weight should be in this order. GCWR, GAWR, and payload. Section 5.4 points this out and the words and or is used, "or" allows them to be over GVWR but not RGAWR. Now you now why the axle rating is higher than GVWR and why they say you can tow more than what the GVWR will allow. The same goes for 2500/250 and 3500/350 as well this is not just for "1/2 tons". Why not just raise the GVWR for half tons you ask? Two reasons, EPA and CAFE, they look at GVWR not GAWR to classify trucks.
Welcome to the Truck Matrix!

4.4.3 Tow-vehicle Understeer Specific Ballast Conditions
Ideally, the tow-vehicle/trailer combination should be ballasted such that the tow-vehicle simultaneously attains GCWR,
GVWR and Rear GAWR. If testing with a weight distributing hitch, ballast distribution shall occur prior to applying the
weight distributing hitch torque. The weight distributing hitch shall be adjusted to provide FALR levels within ±10% of
target FALR (e.g. from 40% to 60% for a 50% FALR target) as specified in 4.4.1. Refer to Appendices B and C for
procedure. There may be tow-vehicles that cannot attain GCWR, GVWR and Rear GAWR simultaneously with tongue
weight at 10% (conventional trailer) or kingpin weight at 20% (fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer) of loaded test trailer weight;
in this case, priority in meeting these values should be: 1) GCWR, 2) RGAWR and 3) GVWR. Again, refer to Appendices
B and C for details.
5.4 GVWR/Rear GAWR and Tongue Weight/Kingpin Weight Considerations
The tow-vehicle shall be able to accommodate appropriate trailer tongue and/or kingpin weight to attain a particular TWR
without exceeding Rear GAWR and/or GVWR. Required minimum conventional trailer tongue weight shall be 10% of
TWR and required minimum fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be 20% of TWR. For purposes of this
standard, fifth wheel or gooseneck trailer kingpin weight shall be applied directly over rear axle centerline unless a
fixed-ball hitch is available from the tow-vehicle original equipment manufacturer (OEM) in which case it shall be at the
OEM position. Conventional trailer tongue weight shall be applied at a longitudinal connection point as indicated in 5.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

Lol

CaptnJohn

I get the right one about every 2 1/2 years. Even the diesel loses value after 100K miles and I'm over that a 3 years. Besides, I like new trucks!
I have quite a few friends and acquaintances that are die-hard, brand-loyal types and say their truck is the ultimate. Yet, they are always buying a new truck every 1-3 years? If your truck is king, why is this necessary? Most diesels are built to last at least 300K miles. Get the right one and stick with it.

You are a Truck Dealers dream, as they are racking up profits on every transaction. Trace

carl.swoyer

Florida

carl.swoyer

Waiting for it

carl.swoyer

Florida

DW_Gray

J2807 is procedure or guideline for testing only. It does not imply that the end user (the consumer) can follow the reasoning behind J2807 allowances provided for the vehicle testers. Therefore, I don't think it's a loophole for the end user. I have yet to discover any recent vehicle owner's manual warnings that state anything other than using words like "should not" or "never" in reference to exceeding GCWR, GVWR and GAWR.

It certainly doesn't change how the consumer should compute realistic vehicle towing capacity.

The J2807 standard has a loop hole built into it that allows the lighter trucks to be over GVWR but not GAWR to achieve GCWR numbers. I have copied two sections that speak to this from the standard and also had a followup email from Toyota stating that the Tundra DC is setup for towing a fifth wheel and consideration to weight should be in this order. GCWR, GAWR, and payload. Section 5.4 points this out and the words and or is used, "or" allows them to be over GVWR but not RGAWR. Now you now why the axle rating is higher than GVWR and why they say you can tow more than what the GVWR will allow. The same goes for 2500/250 and 3500/350 as well this is not just for "1/2 tons". Why not just raise the GVWR for half tons you ask? Two reasons, EPA and CAFE, they look at GVWR not GAWR to classify trucks.
Welcome to the Truck Matrix!

I agree, I never intended it to be a consumer loophole but it is a way for the Manufacturer to continue to manipulate the consumer into buying their product knowing full well that we cannot use the truck the same way it is tested. "Do as I say not as I do" consumers do need to calculate the weight and make the best decision based on what they are comfortable with. Thanks for all you do!