anyone pull a 3795 with a 3/4 ton ?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure someone has towed that Cyclone with an f250, but with a GVWR of 18K, that's a lot of trailer.

Peace
Dave

1231ChaseB

Hi ! I always figured that when you get hooked up and your truck looks like it's running up hill then a person needs more truck ! JMHO !!!!
chaseb

caissiel

it depends on what is loaded in the trailer, if not loaded, but then the pin weight is through the roof. So would not recomend towing one of those without a proper TV that will carry the empty trailer pin weight,
With the loaded weights I see in those units the F250 will pull it but the pin weight will be to heavy, and loaded to GVW the pin weight might be ok but the weight will be to much for any Ford HD till 2011.
But I see many of these towed with DRW's and I bet they could be overweight but the load is not much like a motorcycle and they stay under the load for their trucks.
thats why I am not crazy for these trailers, If I would like a motorcycle I would tow it behind the car in a trailer, that the wife drives behind me anyway.

Birchwood

The GVWR of a 3795 is 18000lb that translates to 3600 lbs pin weight potential.The GVWR of your Ford
is probably less then 9600 lbs.Your truck will weigh 7000 lbs + 3600 pin = 10600 lbs.You will be grossly
overloaded.

jwv

my gvwr is 10k. dry weight of 3795 is 12k plus toys im at 13k . how much for cargo ? 2k ? 15k = pin weight of 3,000 lbs. 7k truck plus 3k pin weight = 10k truck gvwr. the 18k gvwr on trailer is fully loaded with water tanks full ?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
my gvwr is 10k. dry weight of 3795 is 12k plus toys im at 13k . how much for cargo ? 2k ? 15k = pin weight of 3,000 lbs. 7k truck plus 3k pin weight = 10k truck gvwr. the 18k gvwr on trailer is fully loaded with water tanks full ?

Take your trailer to a scale. I think you may be surprised to see how much your trailer actually weighs. I'm also willing to wager that your truck weighs more than 7000#. Don't forget to include passengers & fuel. That 20% pin weight is only a number. Check your actual pin weight. Go to a scale.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I would check what your state laws are as to truck size and weights. In California that is an instant ticket and you will have to drop the trailer. Then there are the legal things that can happen in an accident. That trailer should not be towed by anything less that a 1 tn duelly and even at that your marginal. Remember this...the county mounties only will look at the sticker on your trucks door and the 18K sticker on the trailer. What it really weighs is a mute point.

jwv

cyclone 3210 is a dry weight of 10900 with a gvwr of 18k. 3795 is 12k dry with same 18k gvwr. Yet advantagous for my truck to buy the 3210, geez !@!
So to really be legal I need to buy the puma unleashed 356 ( 9300 dry gvwr 14k ) owning a 3/4 ton. Yet thousands of people pull 38-40 foot TH with 3/4 tons.

Speedy

JWV,

I know the comments you are getting from everyone here are not what you wanted to hear but it is true; most of the toy haulers out there are too heavy for a 3/4 ton truck. You need to stop using the dry weight number in any of your calculations it is a false number. When my wife and I picked up our BC from the dealer I weighted it before heading to a nearby campground to start the setup process. With nothing in it other than full propane tanks and 25 gallions of water from the dealer I was 800 lbs over the dry weight! So now that have been putting things in it to use on our travels it's another 650 heavier.

Dry weight does nothing but confuse the issue. You need a bigger truck.

jwv

so its all about the gvwr to be legal. a raptor 3612 has dw of 11.5k and gvwr of 16.5k
a cyclone 3210 has dw of 10.9k and gvwr of 18k.
im leaning toward the puma unleashed 356 (9.5k dw and 14k gvwr) less weight = better gas mileage, less wear and tear on 250, easier to pull up and down the rockies, safer, eh ?

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
The torque. Give Heartland a call for more details 574-262-5992 ask for someone in the toy hauler division.

Jimalberta

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member and this is my first post. I just wanted to dive in here and add my 2 cents. I just bought a 2008 Heartland Bighorn 3100RL and its smaller than what you are asking about, however I abandoned my idea of pulling it with a 3/4 ton and bought a 2005 GMC 1 ton dually with the duramax. I am sure the 3/4 ton would pull the trailer but not so sure it would handle the trailer and there is a difference. The last thing you want is for the trailer to be driving your truck down a mountain and around the curves. As well, you mention the Rockies and if you drive in BC they will pull you over, check your GVW and if you are over , make you drop your trailer on the spot. Then you have to get a bigger towing vehicle to pull it to your destination.

jimtoo

Hi Jimalberta,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

DeeDub

I have a 2011 F250 and pull a 07 3795. My truck pulls it no prob... stopping on the other hand you have to becareful. I recently put air bags on my f250 and im sure that will improve my stopping and my towing. My wife and I are pretty **** happy with our heartland. I have noticed that my trailer is a **** of a lot taller than everyone elses even class As. That makes it a lot hard to find covered rv parking.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have a 2011 F250 and pull a 07 3795. My truck pulls it no prob... stopping on the other hand you have to becareful. I recently put air bags on my f250 and im sure that will improve my stopping and my towing. My wife and I are pretty **** happy with our heartland. I have noticed that my trailer is a **** of a lot taller than everyone elses even class As. That makes it a lot hard to find covered rv parking.

I really do not see how air bags will improve stopping. Inertia, and the mechanical function of the braking system as well as the amount of weight is what affects braking. (speed is also a factor) If you want to improve braking you will need to improve the braking system such as changing over to larger brakes or disc brakes.