Anyone pulling a Bighorn with a 3/4 ton?

cindy7096

Update: We did go ahead with the F350 Diesel 4x4 3.55 axle CC 6' bed. Our truck is still a daily driver and we live in Phx metro so it made the most sense. Thanks to everyone we did pay very close attention to GVWR, Payload, Tow weight and GCVW, axle rating. We will be limited to the size 5'er we can get but that is not a bad thing. The bigger the truck the bigger the RV and soon we will never be able to retire. We have a 26RLSS TT now and if i couldn't afford another trailer I could still enjoy. That being said, I love the Big Horn. We shouldn't have any issues with the 3010re with our setup. I don't think we want to go any longer for various reasons so in a sense we have a savings safety factor.....We can't go hog wild because our new F350 SRW is limited otherwise my husband would skip the DRW and just go Freightliner. Not a chance (just in case he reads this)

Also, The Door Sticker is 11,500# GVWR

Last edited:

taken

Good choice Cindy. That's what we have except a SC vs. your CC. Plenty of truck and never felt we needed more with 16k behind us and 3k+ on the pin. Not a white knuckle moment in 5k plus miles and all kinds of conditions. It's actually been a laid back relaxed towing experience. Just like it should be....

Update: We did go ahead with the F350 Diesel 4x4 3.55 axle CC 6' bed. Our truck is still a daily driver and we live in Phx metro so it made the most sense. Thanks to everyone we did pay very close attention to GVWR, Payload, Tow weight and GCVW, axle rating. We will be limited to the size 5'er we can get but that is not a bad thing. The bigger the truck the bigger the RV and soon we will never be able to retire. We have a 26RLSS TT now and if i couldn't afford another trailer I could still enjoy. That being said, I love the Big Horn. We shouldn't have any issues with the 3010re with our setup. I don't think we want to go any longer for various reasons so in a sense we have a savings safety factor.....We can't go hog wild because our new F350 SRW is limited otherwise my husband would skip the DRW and just go Freightliner. Not a chance (just in case he reads this)

Also, The Door Sticker is 11,500# GVWR

dewassinc

I have a 2009 - 39ft Bighorn and I'm considering a new Ram 3500 with single rear wheels and short box. Anyone have first hand experience or thoughts?

vangoes

The new 2013 Ram 3500 SRW ratings have been increased both for payload and GVWR that you should be within the stated ratings. I also have been considering one, but currently there are issues with hitch rail availability for the 2013. There is only one aftermarket company ( B&W) that has designed and produced one for the new 2013 frame and there is a six month wait for the factory rails if you get the factory gooseneck/5th wheel option. I've been informed from Reese that they might have mounting hardware available by the end of August but "might" is the operative word. Even if they do, there could be a big backlog to get them as this issue has taken many by surprise.