Anyone towing with a lifted dually?

BLHFUN

did you tow the tires right off the rig? :cool:

My thoughts as well... :) Wow - What tire/Rim setup on the TH? I moved to the ECO Continentals ( J Rated ) and they are 75MPH rated tires - But most of these TH's have 65MPH rated tires. At 88MPH.. Yikes!!! - And 12 MPG with your 420 hooked up? Dang that's good with a Ford. I get 6 to 7 on flat land at 65 pulling my 4200. ( with a tail wind )

IronJ

Lol no no no.....I didn't have trailer nor would I ever tow at that speed (the tow beast would be more than willing I'm sure)..I was just on a lil drive to a friends bday party....I have the g 614 on trailer, but I travel with cruise on at 65 all the time everytime......although I've gone to pass and looked down to see 90mph!!!! ...the tow rig has no problem! !...that's just dumb and unsafe to travel at....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

BLHFUN

Whew! I had Lory talked into a new 15 or 16 Ford! 11 MPG pulling, I'm in! Let us know what you really get when you're pulling the 420. Truck looks great! Safe travels.

IronJ

Whew! I had Lory talked into a new 15 or 16 Ford! 11 MPG pulling, I'm in! Let us know what you really get when you're pulling the 420. Truck looks great! Safe travels.
Well....depending on what your pulling 11 could be viable...my other truck did it all day with the 10k lb bumper pull...

I just honestly don't see this or any truck getting over 10mpg @ 65 with an 18k plus load...the aerodynamics of the truck and the sail behind it pretty much negate that..

With the lift and such and being that I am running a tuned truck I expect 9 on avg...but with the 65gal titan tank that's bout 580 miles before a mandatory refill...more than my half sane self wants to drive in any one stint...

I will say that after fixing my wheel size on tuner, i have been avg 14 .88 around town with lots of stop n go....which is pretty impressive. ...

Unfortunantly work has me covered up and that's the extent of the experiment time I have had with the new toy...

But as we progress I'll def let everyone know the good ,bad , or ugly

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Well....depending on what your pulling 11 could be viable...my other truck did it all day with the 10k lb bumper pull...

I just honestly don't see this or any truck getting over 10mpg @ 65 with an 18k plus load...the aerodynamics of the truck and the sail behind it pretty much negate that..

With the lift and such and being that I am running a tuned truck I expect 9 on avg...but with the 65gal titan tank that's bout 580 miles before a mandatory refill...more than my half sane self wants to drive in any one stint...

I will say that after fixing my wheel size on tuner, i have been avg 14 .88 around town with lots of stop n go....which is pretty impressive. ...

Unfortunantly work has me covered up and that's the extent of the experiment time I have had with the new toy...

But as we progress I'll def let everyone know the good ,bad , or ugly

What tuner are you running?

IronJ

My current setup (until out of warranty) is a bullydog platinum gt tuner module , using custom sct tunes from innovative diesel..

I had a h&s mini maxx but it's not compatible with newer models...

It's pretty much sct/bully (same software) or maybe diablosport?

Actually the stock tunes on the bullydog we're pretty nice to begin with...the custom tunes were only a couple hundred more so I figured why not try em...

Nbomar

Make sure you hand calculate. My ford with a H&S showed a lot better than it actually gets. My GMC does the same with EFI live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLHFUN

I guess I need to look at another tuner. I had the Juice W/attitude on my last 350, but havent touched this 13. if I could get to 10 MPG, that would be a dream! My last trip across Kansas I average just over 6 at 65mph pulling. This was with a SE wind kind of pushing me.

Nbomar

I got around 17mpg in my ford on 35" tires after I deleted it. Towing my RW415 which is comparable to your hauler @BLHFUN I got as low as 8 and as high as 12.

2013 Ford F-250 platinum.

I get 20ish in my 2015 GMC dually with 20's and 35's. Towing I get 9-12mpg. This truck is tuned and deleted also.

JWalker

I have the full EGR and DPF delete kit sitting int the garage. From Custom-Diesel in Tennessee. EFI auto-cal. 3 tunes. Delete stock, 50hp econo & 75hp tow tune. Truck runs great. I just can't do "the deed". Hate to mess with a good truck when there's nothing wrong.

BLHFUN

I got around 17mpg in my ford on 35" tires after I deleted it. Towing my RW415 which is comparable to your hauler @BLHFUN I got as low as 8 and as high as 12.

2013 Ford F-250 platinum.

I get 20ish in my 2015 GMC dually with 20's and 35's. Towing I get 9-12mpg. This truck is tuned and deleted also.

I'm not familiar with "deleted" ??

Nbomar

I'm not familiar with "deleted" ??

DPF and EGR delete. On my ford I used an H&S Mini maxx. There are several ways you can do it. It gets rid of having to run urea in the truck and gives it much more power.

JWalker

Averaging between 10.5-11.5 mpg with our 15k Elkridge. I fairly happy with that.

BLHFUN

I'm still in warranty and that sounds scary! :). I may drop by Bailey Deisel in Springfield and have them take a look AFTER warranty. Thanks for the explanation!

JWalker

In the Cummins, The delete kits eliminate the exhaust gas getting recirculated back into the motor. It also eliminates the particulate filter in the exhaust system. It helps with horsepower and fuel mileage.

Bones

In the Cummins, The delete kits eliminate the exhaust gas getting recirculated back into the motor. It also eliminates the particulate filter in the exhaust system. It helps with horsepower and fuel mileage.
I'm ok with the filter but I really hate the EGR system with a passion. If I could get ride of that alone I would be thrilled. I think dumping burnt gasses and fuel back into a clean system has to be about the stupidest thing out there.

IronJ

I guess I need to look at another tuner. I had the Juice W/attitude on my last 350, but havent touched this 13. if I could get to 10 MPG, that would be a dream! My last trip across Kansas I average just over 6 at 65mph pulling. This was with a SE wind kind of pushing me.
6!!! Sumthin ain't right with your tune or calculations....I used my modded 250 to go to moab earlier this year and on 35s the stock 355 gears..even going all through those 8% grades and such I had a hand calculated avg of 8.62 when I made it home... (total of 2800 miles)..and yes..taht was pulling way over payload with the 420 at approximately 18k on that trip..my 350 was in the shop waiting on parts and they didn't show (def heater)...so I took the 250...

But yes..the h&s is very liberal with its mpg ratings...especially if you don't have the speedo adjusted correctly to a known speed based off GPS

IronJ

I also have all the parts and goodies to delete dpf,def,and egr waiting in the garage....you take that stuff off with a GOOD tune and these 6.7 are freaking scary beasts! !....and they get better mpg across the board...

BLHFUN

Yes sir! I average 6-7 MPG towing and 11-12 not towing in my 13 DRW 350. The only time the numbers change is when I'm in a hurry or I'm driving into a strong headwind. Then of course it worse! Last year I drove about 4 hours directly into a 30MPH headwind in Nebraska and dropped to about 3MPG. I finally gave up about 150 miles short of my planned trip. My 92 with 7.3 international would get 25 all day long. my 99 was the same way, regardless if I was towing or not.

IronJ

And just fyi with my bully and the ID sct tunes she rolled 503hp/896tq to the rear...all stock exhaust....that was a race tune tho...on Mustang dyno....I wouldn't drive it in that mode...I don't think the turbo would last (although the new ones have an improved design over the 11-13)