Anyone Usa a BCI Group 4D Battery in Their Trailer

Bohemian

12V BCI Group 4D batteries are: 10-1/8 H; 20-3/4 L; 8-1/2 W; weight about 135 lbs.; and have about 200+ AH capacity

Any one use them in their trailer? Found space for 1 or 2?

branson4020

Icantre Member
I have seen them in a motorhome where the installation was in an easily accessed side compartment. Wouldn't want to wrestle that puppy in and out of my 5th wheel though.

scottyb

Bohemian, you can get more Ah from 2 6V GC-2's or T-105's (225 Ah) for around 125 lbs. They are true deep cycle batteries and not Hybrids. I have 4 6V batteries @ 60+ lbs each, and like Bob said, I can't imagine trying to get a 135 lb battery in there.

Bohemian

Bohemian, you can get more Ah from 2 6V GC-2's or T-105's (225 Ah) for around 125 lbs. They are true deep cycle batteries and not Hybrids. I have 4 6V batteries @ 60+ lbs each, and like Bob said, I can't imagine trying to get a 135 lb battery in there.

All lead acid batteries use "2V" internal cells. Thus the difference between 2-6V batteries and 1-12V battery from he same manufacturer and series of the same net capacity is the 2-6V batteries have extra casing, weight, and cabling. The same for putting multiple 12V batteries in parallel vs one larger higher capacity battery.

The differences you quote have much more to due with intended use, design and quality of manufacturing.

Technically, comparing 2-6V vs 1-12V from the same manufacturer and same deep cycle series of batteries, the 1-12V should have greater capacity per lb. and per volume and be more reliable, as is observed by technical studies.

The weight and handling issues are of real concern.

scottyb

Not acording to Trojan's ratings on their flooded batteries. They rate their batteries by Minutes @ 25A, which is more real world than Amp hours. 2 T-105 have 447 min @ 124 lbs. = 3.60 min/lb. T-125's and T-145's are even higher. None of their 12V flooded can beat that.

Bohemian

Not acording to Trojan's ratings on their flooded batteries. They rate their batteries by Minutes @ 25A, which is more real world than Amp hours. 2 T-105 have 447 min @ 124 lbs. = 3.60 min/lb. T-125's and T-145's are even higher. None of their 12V flooded can beat that.

Well, I ran the numbers. It seems we are both right. Why? 6V batteries come in larger/heavier sizes than 12V which is the dominating factor.