Anyone used GS Pilot/Flying J travel card

Bones

Someone noted that searching for a lowest price station could yield a savings of $ 0.20 / gallon.

How much is the actual savings for a 1,000 mile trip?

Let's assume the comparison is using the Flying J cash price.
Let's assume a best case $ 0.20 difference in price, before the RV Plus Card discount
Let's assume you get 10 mpg.

Pilot/Flying JLocal Truck Stop
Price$3.00$2.80
Discounted$2.94$2.80
MPG1010
Trip Length10001000
Gallons Used100100
Cost of Trip$294.00$280.00

<tbody>
</tbody>

So that's a net savings of $14 for a 1,000 mile trip. And if you have to get a DEF fill during that trip, the bulk
DEF price will save you about $8-10 over Walmart pricing for 2 2.5 Gallon jugs.

That reduces the net savings to $4-6.

If you have to drive 1.5 miles (3 miles round trip) further to get to that $0.20 lower price, 4 fuel stop detours will cost you an extra $3 in fuel cost.

Now your savings is down to $1-3. And for that you get a greater likelihood of fresh, clean fuel and fresh DEF.

If prices change, not much difference. If MPG changes, not much difference.

Anyway, that's why I stop at Flying J/Pilot stations whenever convenient.

If you have a 5% rebate on your credit card, the savings opens up by $6.00 because you lose the discount at Flying J/Pilot. You also lose the cash price, but that's likely true at the other truck stop as well.

Very nice comparison. I have found the same thing that the savings to me as well are not worth some of the extra hassle. I like the convenience of the truck stops and the fuel is a bit more. We also usually use bathrooms, grab a bite to eat then start on our way again.

Geodude

Ditto, thanks for posting that. I'm with you, when we're on a travel day I just want to fuel up and continue on my way rather than waste time on a hunting trip. I find those hunts to stations off the beaten path also usually result in that question, "gee, can we get in there with the trailer?"