ATF: Big Country - 3250TS - Right rear tandem tire blow-out damage

We had a blowout on our right rear tandem tire recently on a trip home from a camping week in Arkansas. Our Dodge 3500 performed great and our trailer remained in full control as we pulled off the freeway and took the first exit to a safe location to arrange for Emergency Road Service.

I got out to examine the underside of our trailer and learned that our blowout had snagged wiring looms, ripping wiring that controls our trailer lighting, TV/Radio Antenna, power, Satellite coax cables. A simple blowout has now become an insurance claim and the hassles that will bring. Just in case anyone questions the condition of our tires or maintenance - Tire pressures were correct and the tires themselves have lots of tread and are not weathered.

Can someone explain to me WHY wiring would be routed in such a way that a blowout tire would be the cause of damage like this?

We love our trailer and want to keep it for a long time to come. We have helped sell at least two of your 5th wheels to friends over the past few years. When repairs are made to our unit, you can bet I'll be talking to the technician about future incidents of a tire blowout NOT causing a more expensive problem.

jpdoggett

I have had 4 fifth wheel over the years and 3 different manufactures and the all do the same thing the quickest way and the cheapest way. I had one that they had the wiring up against the rods that move out when the slide moves out and no wiring cover

PUG

Pug
I have heard of numerous similar instances like yours. Flying rubber can tear all kinds of things loose. I purchased a TST Tpms system and have run it now for over a year with over 5k miles. It is the 507 system and I run sensors on all of the TV tires and both axles of my 5er. When I pull a small trailer behind the 5er to carry my motorcycle, I also add sensors to that axle. I can highly recommend the TST system.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I can't imagine any other way to get wires to the slide. If you want electricity and TV cables in the slide then that's what has to be done.
It is not uncommon to destroy wires, gas lines, trim work and holding tank dump levers when a tire blows.

Peace
Dave

B

bwwalczak

I am very sorry to hear of the tire blow out. Unfortunately, the wires have to go somewhere and I have heard many instances where radius metal and other fiberglass damage was caused by tire blow outs.

B

bwwalczak

If I can add, there have been many improvements on plumbing, electrical, and other items in recent model years. The 2012 products we are building today have gone through YEARS of improvements.

Part of our continuous product improvement.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What about a redesign to incorporate steel fenders over the tires, something like a cargo trailer. That would help protect at least some of the stuff under there by containing/controlling the fragments of a disintegrating tire.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I know of a post where an owner added these to a fifthwheel himself, and it was done just to stop this kind of damage. I'll try to find the web address and add it to this posting.

Found it - http://www.myrvtalk.com/mods/7562-fender-install.html

I went there to take a look, but had to go through the registration process first. Waiting for the administrator to give me the secret handshake to view the photos.

Update: OK, I got on and had a look. Interesting idea. With our design, it might not save the brake wires, but it would offer protection to most things above the tires, including the gas line in the kitchen slide.

Last edited:

lwmcguir

We blew a new 10 ply Goodyear on the way to the Dealer with our Yellowstone to pick up the Augusta. The Goodyear 10 ply threw the tread but never lost pressure or got hot so no alarms ecept for the flying debris in the mirror. Took out all kinds of wiring on the Driver side and under the living room slide including the brakes. We now have 16 ply tires on all of our trailers and dont regret spending the money.

porthole

Retired
That modification is an interesting idea. Although, I am hoping using a TPMS will negate having to worry about whether I will add this to the trailer. We currently have GY G114's. If the tread were to ever come off those tires at highway speed I think I would need armor plating to keep all the rubber in check.

BTW, that site that is linked to use to be the old sunnybrook forum. I was a regular there with our first trailer. That site was un-ceremoniously shut down by SB. Was on it one day and the next I couldn't find it. Took awhile for all of the members to reconnect. It was shut down because of all the SB bashing.

Westwind

Been a member since 2002, never read any Sunnybrook bashing, just owners questioning the company's failure to help them out with repeated problems with slideout gearboxes etc. The manufacturer of the gear boxes eventually stepped up to the plate and helped but by that time the owner of the company was quite upset and talking legal action forum changed its name and reopened. It's a good forum with lots of helpful people.
I've seen worse brand rants on other brand sites. I owned a Sunnybrook for almost 10 years, excellent product, had it's faults, but overall it served me very very well. Wasn't too impressed with new products when I looked. No owner/dealer/manufacturer forum support. That sort of told me nothing had changed even with Winnebago buying them yet. That tells you something.

porthole

Retired
Their were a lot of changes around that time, including some key personnel leaving SB and starting a new company, Glacier Bay. The new owner and friends promised to build using the old SB mantra, and they were nice trailers. But they are currently in hold status due to the current owner not being able to properly run the business from an off site location.

Westwind

Glacier Bay was on my short list, unfortunately I was slow pulling the trigger, but I know our Bighorn 3070 will put smiles on my round face.
Can't wait to get it.

porthole

Retired
I spent several hours with the GB owner when we were first looking and before I knew of Heartland. He had a good plan.
You will like the Bighorn.