ATF: Big Country - BC 3950FB Satelite installation

campinman

I am trying to install a permanent Dish Network signal to both the living room and bedroom TV's. The signal into the 722k DVR receiver was pretty simple using the cable marked "Satellite into living room" in the outside connection panel, but getting a good signal back to the bedroom was confusing to say the least.

I need a cable that goes directly from the receiver in the living room to the cable in the bedroom. Is there one?

Through very much trial and error I routed the cable from the receiver to the CATV input (the one coming into the splitter in the living room) and then a cable jumper from CATV to the "satellite to bedroom" connection. Seems like the long way around, but it worked. Is there a better choice?

Is there a cable blueprint available?

danemayer

Hi campinman,

In a house, you would typically have a separate receiver at each TV. That's how the satellite companies do business. The assumption is the same for RVs, which is why there's no direct provision to do what you want. However, you did figure out that you could split the receiver output and send signal back through the cable TV wiring to get to the other TV, which is how many people have solved the 1 receiver/2 TV problem. Another choice is to get a wireless transmitter/receiver. There are a bunch listed on Amazon.

campinman

Thanks for the quick response, Dan.
We own an RV Resort here in Kentucky and live in our RV. Dish Network tried to set up the Hopper system unsuccessfully for us, so we resorted back to the older 722 receiver because it worked but does need an actual cable from receiver to 2nd TV.

I will check into the wireless solution. Does it provide a good, reliable picture to the 2nd TV?

farside291

I use DTV but Dish maybe similar. I run two stand alone receivers. I mounted a splitter in and UDC above the 4 satellite coax connections. I ran a jumper from the splitter over to the jack in the UDC for the bedroom and living room. Moved the jumper in the closet over to the other coax connection to route the satellite signal to the bedroom TV coax connection and then out to the receiver.

danemayer

We own an RV Resort here in Kentucky and live in our RV. Dish Network tried to set up the Hopper system unsuccessfully for us, so we resorted back to the older 722 receiver because it worked but does need an actual cable from receiver to 2nd TV.

I will check into the wireless solution. Does it provide a good, reliable picture to the 2nd TV?
I haven't used the wireless transmitters myself, but I think others have had good success with them. The inexpensive units support Standard Definition and the more expensive ones High Definition. And of course, the good thing about Amazon is that if they don't work as promised, it's easy to get your money back.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

That's odd that Dish could not set up a Hopper system, that's what we use in our BC. We've had this system since October 2014, in our previous rig, then moved it over to the BC in January.

We have a dish mounted to a tripod outside, with a node mounted to the tripod that takes two wires from the Sat down to one. That goes into the UDC, and goes to the living room tv where they installed a Hopper, and a wireless hub. In the bedroom we have a wireless Joey. (So not using the Sat wires in the bedroom at all.)

We can watch, record, etc separate shows on either tv.

The hopper and joeys have their own wireless network, they do not connect to any other network. You can give them access to your internet connection for "Dish on the Go" and other features, but I don't think it's required.

campinman

Thanks farside291,

We just took delivery last week and I did not even know that those connections were in the closet since that is where we put the big clothes basket. What is the power plug in the closet for?

campinman

Thanks TravelTiger. Our single input dish signal also runs to our Lodge at the campground and is used on another receiver and 4 more TV's there, so it gets kind of complicated since we would have had to have two receivers and 6 Joeys to distribute the signal it was getting more expensive than just two of the old 722 receivers.

They will probably make me upgrade to the new stuff eventually. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Dan,
What is the power looking plug for in the bedroom closet?

farside291

I didn't have to use that connection, only the coax jumper. I have used the wireless DTVs in the camper and they worked very well with no interference.

campinman

Thanks TravelTiger,
You are probably correct. I have not been on the roof yet to see if the other end is there. Hence the request for a cable diagram.