ATF: Big Country - Disheartened - Need Help!

hoefler

Re: ATF: Big Country - Discouraged - Need Help!

Have you considered that it could be condensation collecting on the inside of the front cap, collecting, and running down till it finds a way out??

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders

Steve, haven't read back thru all the posts so this may have been covered. Is your W/D closet in the Bedroom/main closet area? If so, is it possible one of the lines is leaking? On my LM this would be near the pinbox area.

That's an excellent thought but our rig has been winterized and sitting in the driveway for months. We do not have a W/D set up but I did pull the inspection plate to look at those pipes...all appeared OK.

SJH

Steve,

It sounds like by now you are pretty familiar with the roof... Have you tried to isolate the problem area using a garden hose and only wetting down a small section of the roof at a time? While I don't have a Heartland (yet) I had a problem on SOB and was able to locate it that way.

HTH, Keith

Actually, I did try that and thought I found a possible source (vertical cap trim) but after taking the old caulking off and replacing it with new it continued to leak. Really hard to do the hose thing here as it rains everyday but I will try it again if we get a break in the weather!

Thanks!

SJH

Have you considered that it could be condensation collecting on the inside of the front cap, collecting, and running down till it finds a way out??

I wish it were simply condensation but I think there is to much water leaking out to be so! After it rains I can pull down on the bulkhead at the pin box and water (a couple teaspoons) will run out. The cardboard backing of the overhead bulkhead remains damp around the pinbox but there is never enough water to run down into the storage bay. On the 3450 you cannot see up to the pinbox from the storage bay...too tightly framed but it does not appear to be wet as you move back from the pinbox towards the storage area. The storage area remains dry although the wrinkles underneath the door suggest water may be wicking through the cardboard.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions! I will take them to heart as I continue my attempts to stop the leak! Next on the agenda...Add some Dicor to the W/D roof vent and the TV antenna although both of these are located a great distance from the pinbox and nothing leaks into the living area of the Big Country. Perhaps I will also reseal the edges of the bedroom slide frame..again as a last resort as it seems unlikely water would travel from these areas to the pinbox and not leave some sign in the rig.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

Steve, try taking the pinbox cover off and see if anything changes. It's a long shot, but I suppose if the wind were blowing enough while it was raining, some water could be pushed up the cover and infiltrate the area above the pinbox.

SJH

Steve, try taking the pinbox cover off and see if anything changes. It's a long shot, but I suppose if the wind were blowing enough while it was raining, some water could be pushed up the cover and infiltrate the area above the pinbox.

Unfortunately it is already off otherwise I would be out there right now giving it a try! Our BC is in our driveway here at home so I keep a constant and vigilant eye on it daily. Standing out in the rain studying how the water runs off during rainfall, it seems the only place it could leak with the results it is giving is around that trim piece, which I believe I have resealed competently or around the gutters somewhere. Another thought. Water hangs and drips off underneath the horizontal bulkhead trim...the trim with the vinyl insert. It looks like water could get in around that vinyl insert and perhaps get in the bulkhead someway (almost like it fills that channel and then wicks up into the filon) I did try putting duct tape over this trim just to see if it made a difference but it didn't seem to help much. I am baffled! :confused:

boatto5er

A few years ago I had water wick up under a house window flashing that wasn't sealed good and cause damage. The water was actually wicking UPHILL at about a 30 degree angle! The angle of that particular roofline was certainly a contributing factor there and I suppose that could occur here. Instead of the duct tape, try silicone sealing along that entire seam. Again - this is just another shot in the dark with a pinch of scientific support.

SJH

A few years ago I had water wick up under a house window flashing that wasn't sealed good and cause damage. The water was actually wicking UPHILL at about a 30 degree angle! The angle of that particular roofline was certainly a contributing factor there and I suppose that could occur here. Instead of the duct tape, try silicone sealing along that entire seam. Again - this is just another shot in the dark with a pinch of scientific support.

I will do that when the rain stops for sure...I guess I will also have to seal in that vinyl insert as I can see water wick into (underneath) the vinyl. It kind of acts like a trough!

Thanks!

Boca_Shuffles

Since you have already tried so many other things, here is one more long shot.

In our SOB, prior to the Big Horn, we had to replace the kitchen shelves because the water wicked in through the screws that were holding the shelves up. The screws were too long and were going through to the outside.

You might be having the opposite problem, that the outside screws are going through to the inside. I think Heartland only uses one size of screws --- LONG. Try removing the outside screws and filling the holes with silicone before re-installing them.

As I said, since you tried everything else, you might try this.

Good luck.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Steve, did you remove the vinyl trim on the cap molding to make sure that there was not a screw missing or the head was broken off? Just a thought but you might look there.

wdk450

Is there any way you could temporarily seal up the cap bottom access holes enough to use a fan and maybe large flexible duct to lightly pressurize the inside of the cap? You then spray bubble solution on the outside looking for bubbles, which tells you that is where the leak is. This is what RV professionals do searching for leaks on the main body of the trailer.

Good luck!!!

SJH

Is there any way you could temporarily seal up the cap bottom access holes enough to use a fan and maybe large flexible duct to lightly pressurize the inside of the cap? You then spray bubble solution on the outside looking for bubbles, which tells you that is where the leak is. This is what RV professionals do searching for leaks on the main body of the trailer. Good luck!!!

Hello Bill!

I have been thinking about that too! The way the BC is designed, it would be very challenging to seal this area up for a pressure test. So much of the bulkhead is not sealed and has large gaps in the framing. Poking my head in the storage compartment I can see the ground and even my neighbors house in some areas. I have been working some "foam" into those parts to keep moisture out when the rig is moving.

With any luck, I may have stopped the leak. The last part of the bulkhead that I just sealed up (as it didn't seem a reasonable or necessary choice) was the horizontal trim under the bulkhead...the trim piece with the vinyl insert. I sealed it with caulking including the vinyl itself and I am waiting for a good rain (later today) to test the results. A light rain the other day produced no leak so I am keeping my fingers crossed! I have been standing in the rain for weeks watching the rain water paths. As I have resealed everything but that trim I did notice water collecting on this trim piece and dripping off. Thought that perhaps it could get behind the vinyl and wick upwards into the bulkhead so I caulked it! I will update this post with the results!

PS I have put so much new sealant on her that I think I better re-weigh it at the CAT scale :)

boatto5er

Steve,

You probably should have bought stock in the sealant company before starting on this adventure. Hope the fix workis! Please let us know.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Just a comment on sealing the front compartment gaps. If you wedge a U-shaped section of screen material along the gap between the vertical frame and wall, and then fill it with expanding foam, it helps seal those gaps. The screen helps keep the foam from running all over the place. I've done it to keep mice out. Running a bead of foam along the joint between the floor tray and frame helps with road spray.

This is looking at it from the battery/hydraulic compartment on the side.

View attachment 17600

SJH

Just a comment on sealing the front compartment gaps. If you wedge a U-shaped section of screen material along the gap between the vertical frame and wall, and then fill it with expanding foam, it helps seal those gaps.

What a great idea...I should have though about using screen! I have just started but I do have foam everywhere! Off to the hardware store.

Thanks!

SJH

Steve, You probably should have bought stock in the sealant company before starting on this adventure. Hope the fix workis! Please let us know.

No kidding!

Speaking of sealants...So far I am quite impressed with the Trempro product I found at a Fastenal store. It does take a long time to dry, especially in our weather (2-3 days) but it sticks well and is easy to work with! The 626 is a polyurethane sealant. It is slightly textured leaving a rougher surface than a silicone but doesn't look bad. The gray color is a perfect match for our Big Country. It also comes in Buff, Ivory, Dark Bronze, White, Black, Aluminum, Bronze, Redwood Tan, Stone and Limestone. Best part, it is only $7.95 a tube! Specs also say it is suitable for continuous immersion in water...a big plus for those of us in the "Pacific Northwet."

SJH

Success!

I am hoping I am not being overconfident or premature but it is poring buckets outside and the pinbox drip has stopped! The last bit of caulking I did was the horizontal bulkhead trim with the vinyl insert (the least suspect). I sealed in the vinyl insert and both sides of this trim piece from the cap to where it begins to bend down the front storage bay. I also added a little sealant to the outside of the awning bolts/brackets just in case!

The cardboard backing inside the bulkhead is still damp but no standing water and/or drips. Since it has leaked for months it may take some time for this to dry out!

Now that I have acquired so much experience with caulk and gun...I can hardly wait for spring to do the entire rig top to bottom!

Wish me Luck! And...thanks for all the suggestions and help!

DSCN0478.jpg

DSCN0477.jpg

I am glad it worked for you. I am just waiting for it to dry up a little here and I will be doing the same thing. I am also going to get some new plastic insert and up it in with a screw right at the intersecting point.

Steve

Willym

Crossing my fingers for you! It's usually the last place that you look at (or seal in this case) that is the problem. Must be a variation on Murphy's Law.

SJH

I am glad it worked for you. I am just waiting for it to dry up a little here and I will be doing the same thing. I am also going to get some new plastic insert and up it in with a screw right at the intersecting point.
Steve

One reason I did not suspect this trim piece is I made an assumption that it was installed with Butyl tape underneath to help seal not only the trim itself but any screw holes used in the installation. Although I did not remove the trim I now suspect that the putty tape was not used for installation of this trim and water was wicking up screw holes into the bulkhead. Not sure how else it could get in there through this trim! I was able to re-caulk between rain showers here...it never gets dry! I removed the old as best as I could, cleaned the area very well with xylol, made sure it was dry and applied the new stuff.