ATF: Big Country - Disheartened - Need Help!

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Re: ATF: Big Country - Discouraged - Need Help!

FYI...unfortunately the leak is not 100% fixed as thought. Definitely put a dent in it...right side stopped completely, left side still has a slight leak only inside the horizontal trim - almost like the trim acts as a channel for water. I will redo the left side and I think we are good!

Last edited:

Manzan

Steve, it has been a tough fight for you. Sounds like you have it down for the count! And how can you say it is wet here? We don't have to use a snorkel to breath or wear hip boots all the time. Only nine or ten months of the year.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter

Yep, the OL' horizontal trim leak. Like I said earlier Steve.....been there-done that.

Westwind

Hope you were successful, I have to go over all of mine, I have a spot on the rear cap side molding lower than the windows that keeps opening up even though I have sealed it, I'm going back out there today and do some more reseal. Where I sealed it a couple of months ago it opened up again. It's almost as though the rubber or vinyl trim pierce did seat correctly. But I'm going to have to be a little more liberal with the sealant, maybe even push it into the crack then smooth it out.
I leaned early on, while reading another forum that this is something owners should check a minimum of twice a year. Vibration and movement can open these areas up and as we read water travels up, down and sideways !!
Got my fingers crossed for ya.

SJH

Yep, the OL' horizontal trim leak. Like I said earlier Steve.....been there-done that.

When you told me about this the first time I did immediately go out and seal that trim however...I never thought to fill and seal in the vinyl insert underneath. That, I believe, is how the water was getting in!

Bob&Patty

Steve, this may sound a little off the wall. If the wind is blowing and it is raining. The pinbox hole could act as a place for a condition to create a vacumn. If it does, water could be sucked into the cover thru the moldings. Stranger things have happened. Had a vehicle that I worked on in a dealership that had a water leak into the trunk. It would not leak when sitting still....only when moving. YEA RIGHT..............well, one of the w/strips had a small hole in it. SO...when it was moving in the rain....it created a vacumn in the trunk and would suck water in. It took a LONG TIME to find that one. I know I was not payed enough to find and fix it.

SJH

The way this leak has acted it doesn't seem off the wall at all!

As of this moment, 90% of the leak has been stopped. The right side is 100% and dry. The left side has only the slightest leak but only inside the metal trim channel itself! The flat filon bulkhead above is dry and it is not leaking in that area anymore. Go figure!

Bob&Patty

Steve, have you pulled the plastic insert out, tightened all the screws and sealed them?? Had to do that to stop the leak. On the side that still leaks. I would take the trim off the coach and look to see what is behind it. YOU NEVER KNOW. Run a bead of caulking where the trim goes (screw holes) and reinstall the trim. Fill the screw holes with caulking and seal the screws also. Just a thought.

SJH

Steve, have you pulled the plastic insert out, tightened all the screws and sealed them?? Had to do that to stop the leak. On the side that still leaks. I would take the trim off the coach and look to see what is behind it. YOU NEVER KNOW. Run a bead of caulking where the trim goes (screw holes) and reinstall the trim. Fill the screw holes with caulking and seal the screws also. Just a thought.

I will definitely do that this summer! Hate to take it all apart in the pouring rain. Also I am trying to decide if I should pull all the trim off around the entire cap or just up to the wrapped part (corner) underneath! Pretty soon I may just Eternabond the entire cap...it will look like @^*& but shouldn't leak!