ATF: Big Country - Front Clearance Markers

MCTalley

A few months ago (while still in warranty), we had the off-door side front clearance marker light stop illuminating. I figured it was a burned out bulb and thought I would get to it "some time" since I don't have a long enough ladder to get up there to check.

More recently, the middle clearance light stopped working, as well. Today, with the loan of an extension ladder from a fellow Heartlander at a rally, I climbed up and pulled the off-door side marker out of the cap and found that the wire(s) had completely pulled out of the back of the LED module. Since the hole in the cap is so small, you can't really see anything back in there.

I moved over to the middle light and found that there was (no longer) a light in that lens at all. It has fallen down inside the cap, apparently. Moving over to the door side (where the light still works), I pulled that one and found the light module still in place with wiring still attached. However, the wire has what feels like a fairly substantial weight pulling it down (I'd guess between 8 - 16 oz.).

Is there some type of box inside the front cap that possibly takes the 12V lighting circuit down to something that the LED clearance lights can run on that the three clearance lights are connected to? Is it possible this box has come loose and subsequently pulled the wires out of the one light and pulled the center light out of its lens?

Assuming this is all the case, I would assume repairs would involve ripping out the closet wall to get to the wiring behind the cap?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think they leave very much extra wire when they install these lights.
One thing you could do is fish a wire from the one working light over to the other two. No need to rip out the closet wall.

Peace
Dave

priorguy

LED's run fine on 12VDC or even 24VDC. The wire has fallen into the void as there is no box behind the cap. A fish wire or specialty needle nose may find it for you. Even medical instruments like forceps might work.

MCTalley

I don't think they leave very much extra wire when they install these lights.
One thing you could do is fish a wire from the one working light over to the other two. No need to rip out the closet wall.

Peace
Dave

I think that is what I am going to attempt, lacking any other information. Failing that, I guess I'll start removing closet walls.

In either case, I'm going to put some standard socketed clearance markers on there instead of those little LED modules that can be pulled out of the lens.

jnbhobe

{ I'm going to put some standard socketed clearance markers on there instead of those little LED modules that can be pulled out of the lens.}

I would never move from LEDS to incandescent lights again, how about some RTV or tape to hold the plug on. I will say I have never had a plug come off.

JanAndBill

Malcom the holes for those lights didn't look very big from the ground, you'd have to be awful lucky to grab anything through those holes. Were you ever able to verify if the back of your closet was removable since that's where the washer/dryer hookups are?

MCTalley

I haven't moved forward with this for now. Planning on waiting until spring weather and decide what to do then (if anything).

Greengas

Mct

Since you submitted this via the Ask The Factory link what feedback did you get from them? Did they give you any insight?