ATF: Big Country - Is there a overflow valve on top of the fresh water tank

bigdob24

I recently filled my fresh water tank till it spit a little water out the over flow on the UDC side of the coach. Then I noticed water running from the under belly.
There are two over flows on the tank that I know about one on each side of the frame right at the rear wheel.
I went in and ran water in the toilet bowl several times and went back out and the water had stopped running out.
I have been camping in freezing weather for two days with the furnace running. I checked the basement temp and it has been 47 on the coldest day.
The tank is holding its fill and I have filled it numerous times the same way an have never had this happen before.
One thing I did before the cold snap was to push the drain hose and valve up into the underbelly and tape the cut. It went in easy and that would be on the bottom of the tank anyway.
Hoping there is a over flo on the very top .
Anyone know for sure.

bigdob24

Nothing from a Heartland rep??
i did call my dealer and they did not think it is caused by the cold.
They have seen the vent tubes come off the top of the tank .
As it's not really any problem and the tank holds water I will let them look at it when we get home in March or April

bigdob24

I would assume that the " Ask The Factory " forum is no longer functioning ?

I provided everything they needed to reply and received absolutely nothing.

In the past I have gotten a response , what does this say for customer service , is it failing????

This forum should be marked CLOSED !!!

I'm certainly glad that my dealer "J & R Marble & Trailer Inc. Athens IL"that has sold me all but one of my past RVs has assured me that is nothing more than a factory installed fitting that has failed and they will do the repair when I return in the spring.
They respond right away when contacted also��

danemayer

Hi bigdob24,

It's pretty hard for anyone to do more than guess about the cause of the symptoms you're seeing. You really need to get to your dealer to have a tech look at the tank to see what's going on. Your dealer has told you as much and it sounds like you're on track to do so.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's a photo of a BC under construction at the 2011 Rally plant tour. Open the photo and expand it to get a better look. From the looks of it, if there are overflows on the fresh water tank, they're at the back of it. Sorry, no photo from that angle. The drain tube you pressed up into the belly probably comes from one of the two lines you see at the bottom center of front of the tank. A later photo I have of a water tank from the OD side shows only the sensors mounted on that side, no plumbing visible. BTW, Heartland doesn't monitor this forum 24/7/365. Calling them is usually faster.

Lynn1130

Best to allow the dealer to look at it. If it has stopped draining you are probably fine but I will tell you, from experience, that if you overfill to the point that water comes back out the overflow with some force you can expanded the tanks and cause the crossover to expand and leak. This then gets involved to get to it and repair it.

I will also add to the list that suggests you call Heartland Customer Service as you get a fast response and specific information.

bigdob24

Thanks for the replays.
When you start a thread on Ask The Factory, it is my understanding that it does go to a factory rep of some sort.
In order to ask a question you have to give all your contact info and the last 6 numbers of your vin so they can pull up your build info.

It does appear that they do not follow up anymore.

I'm all good, everything still works and my dealer will address it when I return..
Thanks for the help
Dan

truckmen

Hello John,

Thanks for providing the attached photo. I have a 2015 Heartland BC 3900 FLP and I would think this image pertains to mine as well. I am thinking of doing some DIY added insulation in the underside and above their installed corrugated plastic sheeting. It was installed kind of shoddy. DO you know of any schematics for our 5ers that may be available to us?

Here's a photo of a BC under construction at the 2011 Rally plant tour. Open the photo and expand it to get a better look. From the looks of it, if there are overflows on the fresh water tank, they're at the back of it. Sorry, no photo from that angle. The drain tube you pressed up into the belly probably comes from one of the two lines you see at the bottom center of front of the tank. A later photo I have of a water tank from the OD side shows only the sensors mounted on that side, no plumbing visible. BTW, Heartland doesn't monitor this forum 24/7/365. Calling them is usually faster.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Hello John,

Thanks for providing the attached photo. I have a 2015 Heartland BC 3900 FLP and I would think this image pertains to mine as well. I am thinking of doing some DIY added insulation in the underside and above their installed corrugated plastic sheeting. It was installed kind of shoddy. DO you know of any schematics for our 5ers that may be available to us?

I don't think there are any schematics available. But you might try calling Heartland and ask to speak with the brand manager for Big Country. Explain what details you need and maybe he can provide them. Could be he gets some better photos taken of a unit on the line to help you. Worth a shot, anyways.