ATF: Big Country - roof rubber

Bob Vaughn

I am replacing my roof antenna and the roof rubber is coming loose from the luan wood beneath it as I remove the Dicor sealant. How and with what do I reglue the rubber roof material to the wood? Plus what is safe to use to remove the residule sealant prior to installing the new antenna?

Jim.Allison

You did not provide pics, so I can't see how extreme your trouble is. But my first instinct is that you could probably use "Eternabond" double sided tape, then eternabond tape to reinforce the area. Then make your installation and use either the tape or di-cor whichever is most adaptable to sealing the installation. Perhaps both.

I am replacing my roof antenna and the roof rubber is coming loose from the luan wood beneath it as I remove the Dicor sealant. How and with what do I reglue the rubber roof material to the wood? Plus what is safe to use to remove the residule sealant prior to installing the new antenna?

brianharrison

If you have access to under the EPDM - ie at the hole made after removal of antenna - you can use a water based adhesive such as the Dicor adhesive or equivalent. Link to amazon.

I would be comfortable simply adding the new antenna, and applying new dicor self leveling sealant over top of the new antenna and old dicor sealant. I "did use" mineral spirits on a rag to clean up old dicor sealant (to remove dirt etc) before I applied my new dicor sealant. I did not use it on the EPDM itself.

A unglued EDPM in a radius of 3" around the hole will not billow or lift when travelling, IMHO.

Brian