ATF: Big Country - Wall sweating around bed

DortheyB

Our big country has the bed fitted tightly against all 3 walls of the slide. As it is beginning to get cold outside, I have discovered that the wall is sweating where the mattress touches it, and will probably get worse as the weather continues to cool down. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution to stop the destruction of the mattress?

danemayer

Hi DortheyB,

We do a lot of winter camping in very cold weather and yes, the walls around the mattress have condensation. We humidify because of the very dry climate which is one reason for the condensation.

When we first noticed it, it was just at the head of the bed so we just pulled the mattress away from the wall and left a 1" gap for air circulation.

Last winter we had condensation on the sidewalls that froze on the sheet and wall. I picked up two 99 cent cookie sheets with low side walls (sometimes called a Jelly Roll Pan) from Walmart and drilled a bunch of holes around the edges to allow air circulation, then inserted them in between the mattress and side walls. No more problems.

Lynn1130

Perhaps but don't be afraid to leave a window cracked or vent open to allow the trailer to breath. Two people sleeping in a small room can create a very large volume of moisture. This is a common problem in trailers in cold outside conditions and many times the humidity is lower outside than inside.

Mrsfish

We bought a small dehumidifier for exactly this reason. Have only used it once, and it wasn't anywhere near -20 but it did work great at reducing the sweating.

TxCowboy

I think I heard somewhere on here propane creates a lot of moisture on its own. So maybe some dehumidifier packs could help too

This is a good thought. I always carry Damp Rid's but normally only used them when we're away from the RV for an extended period. Good idea to use them during the winter months when we're in the RV.

brw549

Our big country has the bed fitted tightly against all 3 walls of the slide. As it is beginning to get cold outside, I have discovered that the wall is sweating where the mattress touches it, and will probably get worse as the weather continues to cool down. Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution to stop the destruction of the mattress?

The slide walls are have a lower R factor that the other walls of your RV. Warm in side cold air outside creates the condensation inside. A area you may not notice is inside any closets especially where the wall and roof line join. If you are using the gas heater in your RV try using electric heat and/or leaving the bathroom vent opened slightly. Yes you will lose some heat but it pulls some of the moisture out also. I think you will see a difference.