ATF: Bighorn - 2nd A/C

RichPal

I own a 2009 Bighorn 3055 and would like to know if the trailer is pre wired for a 2nd A/C in the master bed room. And if so what BTU should I get?

hoefler

Two ways to confirm if it is wired, check the breaker box for the 2nd or bedroom A/C. Or pull the ceiling vent trim ring and look for the Romex tucked away in the attic.

Gaffer

Our 2010 3055 was wired for the 2nd A/C. The factory option was for a low profile 13.5

Last edited:

Peteandsharon

When we were looking for a second A/C for our 2008 3055 someone mentioned a counter argument to the "more is better" theory. They said that putting too large of a unit in the small space of that bedroom causes the unit to cycle off too soon. The idea being that it did not completely dehumidify the air. Regardless of whether that is true we ended up putting a 9500 BTU unit in the bedroom and found that it cooled very nicely and we have been very happy with it.

Westwind

Take your time and check the products out there. I installed a low profile 13,500 BTU unit in my Bighorn when I bought it in 2011, it is a 2012 3070RL. It is very noisy but pumps out a lot of cold air, we use it during the day and evening and switch over to the main unit when sleeping. No way could I sleep with it going in the bedroom.
The manufacturer's have come out with re-designed units that are quieter. Worth looking into.

Tombstonejim

We put a 13.5 in our BC it is ducted and really helps cool things here in AZ. We run it all day but it is just too noisy to run at night.

SeattleLion

We have the factory 13.5 K BTU unit in the bedroom. Our trailer is new and has the new, supposedly quieter AC's. The bedroom unit is really noisy. The ductwork goes through the entire trailer, so when you fire up the bedroom unit, the cool air moves to the LR as well. When both are on, they fight it out and somehow cool the entire trailer very well.