ATF: Bighorn - Alterations to current design of 3010BH

We currently have a 2010 3580RE Big Horn that after a rough start and a few hiccups along the way, we are very happy with the unit per se. However with time and experience we are looking to trade next spring. We found the new 3010 Big Horn fit most of our current needs but we also found several shortfalls for us RVing 4 to six months per year, So that being said, we have talked to RV sellers on both sides of the border and it has become VERY clear, the staff either don't know the product line or are interested in selling only what's on the lot. Mention alterations and their eyes will glaze over rapidly. The changes we are interested in are (1) a full vinyl or laminate floor with full surface gluing front to back with carpet only on the chair side so the slide tracks are covered. Rug is nice but a terrible dirt trap when you're in the desert or on a sandy beach (2)a smaller shower cabinet like in our current 3580 (3) make a linen cabinet in the bathroom where you can actually fully open the door. Current door on the bottom in the 3010 bangs into the toilet so it opens about half way making the cabinet just about useless. (4) A solid, easily accessible mounting area for a toilet paper holder would be nice. Eight inch wall panel won't hold and restricts access to the toilet. (5) Behind the TV (when it's up) put a smaller lake view window (same size as what is on the side) and (6) put two vertical cabinets either side of this window from the counter space to the cabinet above. Of course we would expect this could also alter the pricing but it would use only product that Heartland has now or has had recently.

pegmikef

We also have a 3010RE that we really like. I agree with some, but not all of your changes. As to your number 4:

(4) A solid, easily accessible mounting area for a toilet paper holder would be nice. Eight inch wall panel won't hold and restricts access to the toilet.

I mounted ours on the inside of the right-hand cabinet door under the sink. Easy to reach and out of sight when not in use.

We like the full picture window behind the TV and when we added MCD roller shades, I had the one for that window motorized so it is easy to adjust.
We like the large shower, but I agree about the bottom door of the linen closet. Because of the limited access, that space is reserved for very limited use and spare stuff.

The flooring may be an option if you order from the factory (through your dealer of choice).

The only other change we are making is replacing the recliners this week. DW hates the OEM ones because of the way they recline (no stops so always an effort to keep it reclined).

Good luck with your alterations for your future 3010RE

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I'm also a owner of a 2013 3010re . (3) We requested bottom cabinet not to be hung in our build because hearing from others within the club !! Its now our dogs favortie spot after adding a dog bed his got a new home to chill !!!

Good use for the space but our dog probably would stay with his kennel since he's two dogs long and half a dog high (standard dachshund):) We found the shower was too big and under utilizes the space so a larger linen cabinet would be more appropriate to our needs.

Thank you for the toilet paper holder suggestion. Could be a bit of a reach for short armed grand children but I'm sure they would cope. Didn't realize the recliners don't have stops. We currently have the Euro recliners and love em with our 3580. Maybe we could get those instead of the bulky units they use now? We like our rear window also but to down size it a bit and have extra cabinets installed utilizes dead space for us more effectively. We also noted they don't offer the theatre unit anymore which is too bad. Made it handy for a complete entertainment centre without taking up too much space. So we'll wait and see what the factory has to say