ATF: Bighorn - Axles

The other day the Brackets on the rear Axle broke off the frame... Luckily someone pulled us over stating the axle was comeing off the the trailer and smoke from one of the rear tires.
After pulling over noticed the axle brackes where broken off the frame and one tire was rubbing on the shock and almost into the tire.
After waiting on the side of the road 6 hours got a mobile welder to come out and weld the brackets back in place, and change the tire
If not for this person pulling us over we would have had a major accident
I had the welder weld some extra brackets on the frame which Lipport should have done
I try not making sharp trurns but in Calif alot of the camping spots you have to back in making a sharp turn

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 211

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had a wheel bearing burn out on our previous Heartland Trail Runner while passing through Phoenix last year . . .

If it hadn't been for a motorist pulling up alongside of us and pointing at the trailer, we wouldn't have even known about it until it was too late (ie.- trailer fire).

Never even saw the smoke rolling out from under the trailer until going around the curve on the next exit ramp.

rhodies1

The other day the Brackets on the rear Axle broke off the frame... Luckily someone pulled us over stating the axle was comeing off the the trailer and smoke from one of the rear tires.
After pulling over noticed the axle brackes where broken off the frame and one tire was rubbing on the shock and almost into the tire.
After waiting on the side of the road 6 hours got a mobile welder to come out and weld the brackets back in place, and change the tire
I had the welder weld some extra brackets on the frame which Lipport should have done
I try not making sharp trurns but in Calif alot of the camping spots you have to back in making a sharp turn
Ive been there with this same situation,I had 2 brake at different times.I would suggest finding a HD Trailer repair facility and have the remainder inspected. I owned another brand at the time,was told cheap steel used in making the brackets.

JohnD

I know an excellent shop here in Denver if anyone is in this area . . .

Rollin_Free

I know an excellent shop here in Denver if anyone is in this area . . .

I use the TST507 tire pressure and temp monitor. Do you think the heat from the axle would have transferred to the wheel? I would hope that any issue with the axle or wheel would show up on my monitor as higher pressure and hot temperature but not really sure.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My brother just went through the same thing on the way to the regional rally in Branson.
I suggest having a welder install 2" tube between all three axle hangers.

Peace
Dave

Attachments

• IMG_0170.jpg
    IMG_0170.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 147

DougS

Doug S

Ouch, I'm glad you we able to get a roadside fix. Have you been in touch with Lippert and HL for a permanent fix. I have had axle problems in the past and now have a habit of moving the rear view mirrors every 10-15 minutes to check the rear axles. Bracket welds just added to my pre-trip check list.

GOTTOYS

My brother just went through the same thing on the way to the regional rally in Branson.
I suggest having a welder install 2" tube between all three axle hangers.

Peace
Dave
I can only imagine how happy that made Reg. Did he sell the trailer after that round?

Rollin_Free

Made me look at mine this morning. The spring brackets are welded all the way around the entire bracket including where the two bends are. I kinda always thought welding causes the metal to be brittle on the edges of the welds but doesn't appear that is the case.

GOTTOYS

So is just welding some 2" sqr. tube with a heavy wall the ticket.? Weld it to the frame and the hangers?? I've had mine aligned a couple time and each time they push on the hangers to get it right. I'm a little nervous about that. Looks like I need to dig out that piece of tubing I have in the garage and get to work on it...Don

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Don, I did that about four years ago and have not had a problem since.
Just welded across the front, center and rear hangers. An additional gusset was recommended but I skipped that.
The recommendation to weld the heavy wall tube came from Lippert.
You can check it out in August.

Peace
Dave

GOTTOYS

Don, I did that about four years ago and have not had a problem since.
Just welded across the front, center and rear hangers. An additional gusset was recommended but I skipped that.
The recommendation to weld the heavy wall tube came from Lippert.
You can check it out in August.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, hopefully I'll have it done by then..Don

SNOKING

So is just welding some 2" sqr. tube with a heavy wall the ticket.? Weld it to the frame and the hangers?? I've had mine aligned a couple time and each time they push on the hangers to get it right. I'm a little nervous about that. Looks like I need to dig out that piece of tubing I have in the garage and get to work on it...Don

Here is Lippert Service bulletin. The second part is about installing the cross tubes.

What it looked like on my SOL with an OEM subframe.

Someone makes both on cross braces, however I can not find them right now. Chris

Rollin_Free

I just received my new correct track. This is my second rig putting it on and IMHO is the best way to maintain alignment easily and it doesn't require bending anything to accomplish the task. I have mixed feelings about making the hangers stiffer because something has to give during traveling and if it's not the hangers then it's got to be the frame that has to flex a little more to take the stresses off.

Engineering a long term fix is very important to make sure when we're fixing one thing we don't cause other issues that could be major in magnitude in another area of our rig. I may not be an engineer but I know something needs to be done to reinforce the suspension to prevent issues like these from occuring/reoccurring. I just don't know what that fix will look like but recall a lot of discussion about how good the IS (independent suspension) system works.

SNOKING

Having experienced cracks in my I-beams on my SOL trailer, you do not want to pass flexing into the frame. Everything should to as solid as possible with the hangers and frame, and let the tires skid on the ground in tight turns. Which brings me to ST tires and why they tear themselves apart. Most ST tires have a tread that is like an All Season tire, with breaks in the outter ribs which grab the payment. My theory this that ST tires delaminate because of to which traction in their tread design.

Look at the Sailun S637, the GY G614, the XPS Rib and Duravis R250 and they all have a closed continuous outter rib that will not grab the payment. I was parked next to a semi trailer at Circus Circus RV in Feb 2015 and took these pictures. Chris

My SOL with Bridgestone Duravis R250's

The semi trailer next to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I like that X Factor mod. but not sure I can use it with my correct track system installed.

My friend is at Morryde and doing a tour today, and he is going to ask them about that. Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Just notice that the semi trailer as a dealie that looks similar to our correct track! Chris

JohnD

I think the main reason that semi trucks use tires like that is that they can be retreaded where radial tires can't.