ATF: Bighorn - Axles

SNOKING

I think the main reason that semi trucks use tires like that is that they can be retreaded where radial tires can't.

Retreading is a casing issue. Not a radial tire issue. Tires like the XPS Rib which is a radial tire with steel ply carcass and the R250 are retreadable. Those semi trailer tires are radial tires also.

GOTTOYS

I just received my new correct track. This is my second rig putting it on and IMHO is the best way to maintain alignment easily and it doesn't require bending anything to accomplish the task. I have mixed feelings about making the hangers stiffer because something has to give during traveling and if it's not the hangers then it's got to be the frame that has to flex a little more to take the stresses off.

Engineering a long term fix is very important to make sure when we're fixing one thing we don't cause other issues that could be major in magnitude in another area of our rig. I may not be an engineer but I know something needs to be done to reinforce the suspension to prevent issues like these from occuring/reoccurring. I just don't know what that fix will look like but recall a lot of discussion about how good the IS (independent suspension) system works.
I have my alignments done at a large alignment shop that does a lot of RV work. They don't even use the Correct Track if it has one. Correct Track only takes care of one aspect of an alignment which is tracking or how square the axles are with each other and with the frame. It will do nothing to adjust camber which is the up and down angle of the wheels and does nothing to adjust toe which is the direction each individual wheel is pointing, in or out. A proper alignment will adjust all three of these. Don

Rollin_Free

I have my alignments done at a large alignment shop that does a lot of RV work. They don't even use the Correct Track if it has one. Correct Track only takes care of one aspect of an alignment which is tracking or how square the axles are with each other and with the frame. It will do nothing to adjust camber which is the up and down angle of the wheels and does nothing to adjust toe which is the direction each individual wheel is pointing, in or out. A proper alignment will adjust all three of these. Don

Yes the correct track allows you to confirm and align the axles to the king pin and to each other so the trailer tracks as straight as possible behind your TV. On several occasions I've seen semi-trailer tracking at least one wheel sideways and this system does eliminate that issue. I have had the wheels apart several times and don't recall any way to adjust camber,caster,or trueness of the axles themselves. I've always assumed it was factory engineering design that essentially helps maintain these values without having to make adjustment to these values.

I'm going to repack the wheels within the next two weeks and I'm going to look closer at the axles themselves to see if I missed something. Having true axles that are preset with correct tow and camber before you start the alignment is defiantly a key to successful tire maintenance care.

Rollin_Free

Word back from Mor-ryde is they weld on the cross 2x2 square pipes when they do it. Chris

I thought this was a DIY installation. I'm not sure I like or want it welded in so it can't be removed without a torch and a welder again. If there is a tank above the wheels then it would be very difficult to remove the tank if needed for replacement or repair.

Ldo

Does anyone have a rv that is. A little lower by an inch or two on the left than the right? We have a 3270rs and it is lower on the left. I have chalked it up to the left slide being heavier. It has the refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, and entertainment center.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

Does anyone have a rv that is. A little lower by an inch or two on the left than the right? We have a 3270rs and it is lower on the left. I have chalked it up to the left slide being heavier. It has the refrigerator, stove/oven, microwave, and entertainment center.

Have you looked closely at the suspension to make sure there is not a problem down there? Chris

Ldo

I have looked but not examined. Been on the road from Phoenix to Michigan and been unable to crawl under. Have looked at all shackles on both sides and they are all still assembled. 1st trip for our new trailer.

carl.swoyer

I had that problem on my 07 Cedar Creek. I ended up with a bent cracked and twisted chassis. Thank God I have the replacement insurance. Progressive ins totaled it and cut me a check for my original purchase price.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

Have you looked closely at the suspension to make sure there is not a problem down there? Chris

I encourage you to park and jack your rig up to look at the suspension closely. This almost sounds like you have a broken leaf and if that is what it is it isn't to be taken lightly. Whatever it is if you just noticed it you need to look at it or have it looked at by qualified person.

GOTTOYS

Mine was that way. The springs were starting to flatten out and arch the opposite way. I had them replaced with the next heavier capacity springs. Rode much better when it was done.

carl.swoyer

If your still under warranty I would submit a claim. However before you do that weigh your rig to insure that it is under weight. Lippert may ask the dealer for a current weigh slip.

carl.swoyer

Keep that weigh slip for yourself. No need to tell the dealer about the weigh slip.

rhodies1

yes. I had this happen to my Bighorn 3455 model,it turned out to be a flattened spring on the left side.Heartland upgraded the springs to 8k and all new equalizers,just don't put 1 spring under your unit,you need to contact Heartland, how old is your unit,Dexter has a 2 year warranty,they tried to get out of the upgrade but Heartland stepped in. And supplied my parts and said they would deal with Dexter,
Even if it is a little older than 2 years I would still contact Heartland,have your VIN number ready. Good Luck.

Ldo

Thanks. I will do that. Carefully examined undercarriage this morning and nothing broken but can see that spring on left is just a little flatter that the others.

danemayer

Thanks. I will do that. Carefully examined undercarriage this morning and nothing broken but can see that spring on left is just a little flatter that the others.

A few years ago Lippert had some springs made overseas that had problems with quality of the materials/process. I think it was on some of the travel trailers. Your Bighorn likely has Dexter springs, but it's possible that there could be a problem with the steel. Or it could just be weight distribution.

Is it a warranty issue? Hard to say without seeing it. I don't know that a trailer must ride perfectly level, but certainly there's a point where leaning to one side would put the center of gravity in a concerning position.

If there's no agreement that there's a defect, perhaps the conversation should move toward getting the springs replaced with heaving spring packs so that the trailer is balanced better while going down the road.

It may end up being a discussion between Heartland and Dexter. I wouldn't be surprised if Dexter kicked in upgraded springs and Heartland kicked in the installation labor charge.

They'll probably want a dealer evaluation.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
This is what flat springs look like:

AxelRearDrivSide-IMG_3900.jpg

FrontAxlePassSide-IMG_3906.jpg

These shots are from our old 2013 Heartland Trail Runner that was just over two years old and around 4000 miles on it.

Ldo

Yep; those are flat. Mine still has more bow then these.