ATF: Bighorn - Back Up Camera

danemayer

I believe that the propane detector should NOT be wired through a fuse as a safety precaution per RV wiring codes (like the electric brake emergency disconnect wiring). You would rather be pretty sure that these 2 systems always work, over having their wiring fused.

Bill, you have a good point, and I don't know how the detectors are actually wired, but if there were no fuse, what would happen if there was a short in the wiring? Seems like it might be a fire hazard to not have a fuse.

RoadJunkie

Treat the current threat. In the case of the LP sensor, it doesn't make much sense (to me) to potentially cause a fire to keep power on a sensor that may not be involved in the current threat, the fire. The problem, in the case of the LP sensor, is that if a fuse is opened it will typically go unnoticed due the obscure mounting location. If it were a real concern, one could consider redundant, battery-backed LP detector unit.

jbeletti

I've replaced an Propane detector before (2005) - there was an inline blade fuse behind the detector. Guessing we still do it this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Baack Up Camera

Just got back from moving our BH up to the farm in East Texas. Have the high speed Furrion camera and it worked great. Really aids in passing and just keeping an eye on the traffic in your rear. Great addition to our rig. I doubt you will ever have a range issue with your rig.
With the Furrion camera (wireless FOS48TA-BL fast action) are you getting any interference from the truck where your view isn't clear. I looking at getting a camera for my BigHorn but I'm not sure whether to go wireless or wired. I heard we would have a lot of issues with wireless.

dojljr
Don

barryh49

Just installed Furion high speed camera. It works great. I felt more comfortable backing into storage. Nice to see what is behind us on the road also. A concern though is that the camera is on all the time except when I disconnect batteries.

jimtoo

Hi barryh49,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I know some folks have run a separate power wire to the camera and some have tied the camera into the tail light wiring also. I'm sure some of our other members will jump in with some help.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

wdk450

Just a note on using the clearance/tail light wiring for a power source for a rear camera. My experience in installing a WIRED CCTV camera in the top rear of the Bighorn was that due to wiring voltage losses, there was only 8 volts at the clearance/tail wiring at the rear of the trailer. The camera would NOT work with this. I ended up including a power feed in the cabling going up to the truck cab. Later I did do a complete exterior changeover of the incandescent bulbs to LED's. The lower current draw of all the bulbs brought the rear measured clearance/tail light voltage to near 12 volts.

BTW, I just bought a replacement CCTV camera (I thought the old one was bad, but it was a wiring connector problem) for only $13 on E-Bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281997942283?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

beasleyrl

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Baack Up Camera

With the Furrion camera (wireless FOS48TA-BL fast action) are you getting any interference from the truck where your view isn't clear. I looking at getting a camera for my BigHorn but I'm not sure whether to go wireless or wired. I heard we would have a lot of issues with wireless.
I installed the high speed Furrion camera back around Christmas. I had a horrible picture on my first long trip. I emailed Furrion and they replaced the camera without any real questions. The 2nd camera on the same 7 hour trip blinked out for about 3 seconds 1 time. I'll take that any day vs having to mess with a wire...

burki210

We recently picked up our new, 2017, North Peak, so I apologize in advance for posting in the BH forum but you guys have the best thread regarding this camera installation. I just ordered the Furrion FOS48TATK-BL from Amazon. I originally believed I was a pre-wired (shoulda verified what the salesman said), but turns out I'm not. My initial inclination is to mount just below or just above the center clearance light and pull power from it. I can replace bulbs with LEDs if voltage drop turns out to be an issue. Does anyone have a better/easier/smarter way to power the camera?

Second question concerns mounting the bracket. The pictures I've seen of factory pre-wires show the mount above the clearance light. I asked the Furrion tech support about bloom from such an installation and Ashley responded that although they recommend 2 inch separation, in reality it shouldn't be a problem. (By the way - I submitted the question to Furrion's support and had my answer in less than an hour. Fabulous customer support!) Anyway, anyone have experience mounting these brackets? Mount above and try to get into a header up near the top or mount below the clearance light and totally avoid bloom fro the light? What's the most effective way to get the bracket securely mounted?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any insights.

David

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We recently picked up our new, 2017, North Peak, so I apologize in advance for posting in the BH forum but you guys have the best thread regarding this camera installation. I just ordered the Furrion FOS48TATK-BL from Amazon. I originally believed I was a pre-wired (shoulda verified what the salesman said), but turns out I'm not. My initial inclination is to mount just below or just above the center clearance light and pull power from it. I can replace bulbs with LEDs if voltage drop turns out to be an issue. Does anyone have a better/easier/smarter way to power the camera?

Second question concerns mounting the bracket. The pictures I've seen of factory pre-wires show the mount above the clearance light. I asked the Furrion tech support about bloom from such an installation and Ashley responded that although they recommend 2 inch separation, in reality it shouldn't be a problem. (By the way - I submitted the question to Furrion's support and had my answer in less than an hour. Fabulous customer support!) Anyway, anyone have experience mounting these brackets? Mount above and try to get into a header up near the top or mount below the clearance light and totally avoid bloom fro the light? What's the most effective way to get the bracket securely mounted?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any insights.

David

David, our BC came prewired with the mount. Because I was curious if it was sealed from water intrusion, I took it off to check. Nope, it has a rubber gasket between it and the wall, but the screws just go into the wall. They seemed kinda long, but I could not tell if they hit something solid or not. I put butyl tape over the screw holes and tightened the screws up. Will have to wait for $$$ to get the camera someday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk