ATF: Bighorn - Back Up Camera

'Lil Guy'

I have a new BH 3279RS with a camera mounted in the rear and a receptacle in the front under the overhang. What do I need to complete this. Should there be a monitor or is this a pre setup for adding one later? Looks complete. Again, there was no monitor and I would like to be able to use this feature. Also, is the level up system and slides on a remote?
Thanks in advance.

pegmikef

Re: ATF: Bighorn - Baack Up Camera

Frank, mine are on my remote, but mine is a 2014. I don't know if they continued in in the newer models. The landing gear, awning, and a couple of lights are also on my remote. A lot of folks really like it because they can adjust the pin height while backing to hook up with out getting out of the truck. Hope you get it straight. Maybe another owner of the same model will step in here.

jbeletti

Frank - I suggest you give your dealer a call in the morning to go over this stuff. They should know and if they don't - they should be able to run it down either with Heartland or merely checking another BH on their lot with a comparable DOM (date of manufacture).

'Lil Guy'

Jim, after I looked at it again, I think it is prepped for the camera and pre wired for the system. I didn't see the option when I ordered it or I would have had one installed. I didn't think of the remote until now and I don't think I have that either. I talked to the dealer and they said I didn't get one with the rig. I looked at my build sheet and didn't see it either. No big deal. We absolutely love this rig. I'll add the camera once I figure out what I want.
Thanks for the reply.

jbeletti

Frank - your coach is likely prewired for the Furrion camera. Here's a link to it. You're dealer can likely order the camera and monitor/receiver for you or it looks like you can order yourself at retail. The jack on the front gent wall - wondering if that's a Solar Panel input jack?

wdk450

After recently backing over a campground utilities pedestal, I would urge you to get the backup camera. My self-installed system using a common security camera was out of order (due to a cut cable in the pinbox area I found later).
Being widowed, I RV single (no spotter).

Dumboldles

I had that same question about that camera support on my new BH. I called customer support and talked to Terry Hayes. I'm waiting for a reply from parts to see if my BH will support a camera. The reply above that uses the Furrion camera seems to make the most sense. I'll get back when I get my reply from Heartland.

Dumboldles

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the info Jim. I believe you're right. You just cost me another $500.00 lol They have 2 units. One is a high speed monitor for an extra $100.00. The 1st one is $399.00. Is anyone familiar with either of these 2 units? Thanks in advance.

kdubinwa

Frank - your coach is likely prewired for the Furrion camera. Here's a link to it. You're dealer can likely order the camera and monitor/receiver for you or it looks like you can order yourself at retail. The jack on the front gent wall - wondering if that's a Solar Panel input jack?

Jim

Are all 2016 Bighorns pre wired for backup cameras? What does the pre wire typically include?

Kurt

'Lil Guy'

Ours came with the Furrion pre wired mount. I just ordered the FOS48TA-BL (fast action) for our BH. Just remove the plate and plug camera in and a couple of screws later your done. It's wireless so you have to pair it to the camera. I went with Furrion because that was the mount set up on our rig. I do understand they have other models of cameras so make sure which set up yours comes with. That is, if it is standard or if I just got lucky.
Thanks again Jim for the info. It was the Furrion mount with a cover plate on it.

kdubinwa

Ours came with the Furrion pre wired mount. I just ordered the FOS48TA-BL (fast action) for our BH. Just remove the plate and plug camera in and a couple of screws later your done. It's wireless so you have to pair it to the camera. I went with Furrion because that was the mount set up on our rig. I do understand they have other models of cameras so make sure which set up yours comes with. That is, if it is standard or if I just got lucky.
Thanks again Jim for the info. It was the Furrion mount with a cover plate on it.

Frank,

Where exactly was the "plate" and pre-wire mount located? Can you share a pic or two? How is it powered (On with running lights or only on with reverse lights)?

Thanks much.

Kurt

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

The mount on ours is the mount for the Furrion Wireless. It is mounted at the top center of the rear of the coach directly under the center red light. About 7" from the top of the rear. I'll post a pic tomorrow. If you google Furrion wireless back up camera for RV you'll see the 2 models. One is strictly for the backup and is a slower camera. The other(the one we got) is able to monitor while traveling. I don't know for sure how mine is wired yet. If it is getting the power off of the bak up lights, then only in reverse. But switching the wire to a running light would give you full time viewing for travel. At least, that's the way I see it.
When you google the site, you'll see the plate that protects it while the camera is out. Sits right at the face of the fish eye mount.
I'm not sure why it wouldn't come on the LM. They may have put one on ours after they heard how bad we were at backing our last rig up. lol

wdk450

Just a word or warning about using the clearance light system as a power source. I installed my own wired camera system using a security camera and cabling from Frys electronics (along with a monitor that snaps over the truck rear view mirror from E-Bay). I found that the 12 volt DC home security camera (about $39) WOULD NOT WORK WHEN POWERED BY THE CLEARANCE LIGHT SYSTEM. An investigation with a voltmeter showed that there was only about 7 volts DC there due to incandescent lamp loads and being at the far end of the wiring from the umbilical cable. My camera cable from FRY's had provision for a power lead, so I wired it that way, getting power for the camera and the monitor from a cigarette lighter outlet in the truck.

I just completed changing all tail and clearance lights over to LEDS, so the voltage at the clearance lights is probably much better now, due to 1/10th of the current draw on the circuit than with incandescent bulbs.

'Lil Guy'

Here's a pic of the pre wired Furrion mount with the cover plate still attached. Just a little dirty from the trip- back from La. Just washed her up and put her in storage.

Attachments

• IMG_0329.jpg
    IMG_0329.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0330.jpg
    IMG_0330.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 196

kdubinwa

Here's a pic of the pre wired Furrion mount with the cover plate still attached. Just a little dirty from the trip- back from La. Just washed her up and put her in storage.

Thanks Frank! I called Heartland today and spoke with a Bighorn sales rep. They indicated that the camera prewire is continuously powered from the the battery and not powered from the reverse or running light circuits. I assume it is separately fused and run from battery.

Did you experience any dropouts while running down the road or did you just use the camera when backing up?

'Lil Guy'

I just purchased the camera and haven't even received it yet. I did get the high speed version to be able to use it as a rear view when traveling. I just put the 'LG' in storage and won't install the camera till I get it out for a trip again. Probably be March when we have the house sold and take it on the road. Until then, I can't offer any info about it.

dojljr

With the Furrion camera (wireless FOS48TA-BL fast action) are you getting any interference from the truck where your view isn't clear. I looking at getting a camera for my BigHorn but I'm not sure whether to go wireless or wired. I heard we would have a lot of issues with wireless.

dojljr
Don

wehavefun

I installed the FOS48T-BL rear camera on our Bighorn 3760, it worked absolutely fantastic in out trip to Florida and back last week. It never had any drop outs, as matter of fact we unhooked drove about 8 sites away before the video dropped and once we turned back towards are unit and got about 8 sites away the video returned. I am extremely happy with my Furrion rear observation system. It is powered thru fuse for back wall and propane detector I believe, I just pulled fuse for storage as I leave my Bighorn plugged in for winter and didn't want to power camera. I think I will trace out power source in spring and add an on / off switch so I can shut down when not towing.

Very simple to mount into base, plug in power and go, honestly it takes longer to get ladder out then to hook up camera!

wdk450

I installed the FOS48T-BL rear camera on our Bighorn 3760, it worked absolutely fantastic in out trip to Florida and back last week. It never had any drop outs, as matter of fact we unhooked drove about 8 sites away before the video dropped and once we turned back towards are unit and got about 8 sites away the video returned. I am extremely happy with my Furrion rear observation system. It is powered thru fuse for back wall and propane detector I believe, I just pulled fuse for storage as I leave my Bighorn plugged in for winter and didn't want to power camera. I think I will trace out power source in spring and add an on / off switch so I can shut down when not towing.

Very simple to mount into base, plug in power and go, honestly it takes longer to get ladder out then to hook up camera!

I believe that the propane detector should NOT be wired through a fuse as a safety precaution per RV wiring codes (like the electric brake emergency disconnect wiring). You would rather be pretty sure that these 2 systems always work, over having their wiring fused.