ATF: Bighorn - Can you reverse fans to prevent travel dust?

Bobbins

We have 12 miles of dirt--gravel road before pavement when we leave the ranch for a trip. We seem to suck the RV full of dust and major cleaning is needed when we get to our destination. Can the rain-sensor fans be reversed to prevent such an influx of dust? We have a 2011 Big Horn 3670RL.

sengli

My DW made some memory foam inserts we push into the groves on the windows while towing. This blocks the dust from getting in quite so easily. Those fans are powered by a DC motor, so I would guess there might be a way to reverse them.

Last edited:

ParkIt

If you have a Fantastic do you also have the 3 speed reversible? If so just turn the knob but then you have 'negative pressure' which will suck air through any opening while traveling and run the battery down at the same time.
Sengli posted a great way to keep dust out, if you really want you can do the same on the slides to seal it up as much as you can.

Bobbins

If you have a Fantastic do you also have the 3 speed reversible? If so just turn the knob but then you have 'negative pressure' which will suck air through any opening while traveling and run the battery down at the same time.
Sengli posted a great way to keep dust out, if you really want you can do the same on the slides to seal it up as much as you can.

Good ideas---Thanks. Our fans are one speed but we will check on up grading to the three speed reversible and getting foam for our slides as this seems to be where much of the dirt was coming from. The amount of dirt was intense so maybe we should depart on a trip after a nice rain!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I was under the impression that these were set up as exhaust fans. If you reverse them, won't you be sucking in more dust?

ParkIt

I was under the impression that these were set up as exhaust fans. If you reverse them, won't you be sucking in more dust?
Not when creating negative pressure inside, it would have to be sealed up tight for that to happen. Now I'm wondering if it can be done without blowing out a window or two.

Bobbins

Hardly any dust at the top of the 5er if you are moving.

Years ago we traveled with another family who reversed the fan in their pickup camper. It worked well because it pulled in clean air from the bathroom vent fan and prevented the dust from being sucked in from the road. We have two fantastic fans in our Bighorn 3760RL. The one in the kitchen will be most useful so we will pursue this idea. I guess there aren't many people who have to travel on gravel roads with such nice 5th wheel. We sure appreciate all imput.

GOTTOYS

You very easily install a Double Throw Double Pole toggle switch in place of the existing ones or ones...They cost around 5 bucks and are available at most good hardware stores or big box home stores. If the wiring diagram isn't on the package it will be easily found on the web. No need to buy a new fan. If you really want to save money you could even switch the hot with the ground and they will run backwards. Maybe you could try it first and see if it helps. You will be creating positive pressure not negative pressure as you are pulling air into the the unit. In theory if you can build enough positive pressure the dust won't come in through any openings as the air will be blowing out through those. Can't imagine you could ever create enough pressure to even come close to blowing out a window, probably not even enough to keep out the dust. But it may help....Don

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Even with the fan reversed, You may not be able to build enough positive pressure when your vent is open traveling down the road. The air flow over your camper would create a situation similar to you blowing across a straw, drawing air out the vent, creating a negative pressure situation, anyway.

danemayer

I've never tried towing with the fan cover open. I'm wondering if the airflow would push the cover down or damage it.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
I've never tried towing with the fan cover open. I'm wondering if the airflow would push the cover down or damage it.
Just seeing how much the vent covers bounce around on a windy day, I am not sure I would want to try towing with a cover open, It would probably damage it very quickly depending on how much it was open.

Bobbins

Im not sure why you would have the fans on while traveling.

A big thank you to Gottoys for the instructions on the Double Pole Double Throw toggle switch for about $5 each ! I was able to install it right next to the on/off switch on the fan shrouds. The reason for doing this is that we live on a ranch 12 miles from pavement on a very dusty gravel road. Both fans will be in reverse mode to pressurize the interior while we travel about 20 mph until we reach the pavement. Then we will turn then off and close the fantastic fans. We travel slow anyway to limit rock chips for that first stretch. Thanks to everyone for ideas and feedback. Can't wait to load her up and hit the road. Rod and Robbie

2011 Bighorn 3670RL Saddle Interior
2007 Chevy 2500 Duramax Allison Crewcab
"Spencer" our Austrailan Shepherd