ATF: Bighorn - DC Operation of Landing Gear & Slides

GaryW209

I recently discovered that the slides and front landing gear on our Bighorn 3610 RE will not operate unless plugged into shore power. While checking the battery I discovered that it was drained and very low on fluid. I had a backup car battery so installed it but the slides and landing gear still do not work on DC power, only when plugged into shore power. Is this because the car battery is not sufficient enough for their operation, or is there a problem with the converter?

GaryW209

After eliminating a convertor problem, I focused on the battery. Knowing the battery was in good shape I checked the cables and found the positive cable was corroded so cleaned it. While trying to tuck everything back into the compartment, I discovered a very loose wire on the grounding bar - - - it actually fell out while I was tucking back wires! After tightening that wire back to the bar and checking all other wires for tightness, I reconnected the battery. PROBLEM SOLVED! Anyone experiencing a DC issue should check that grounding bar. Apparently they can vibrate loose over time. Thanks to all of you for your help.

jimtoo

Thanks Gary for coming back and giving us the cure for your problem. There is no doubt it will help someone else, either prevent the problem or cure the problem down the road.

Jim M