ATF: Bighorn - Disappointed Heartland will not cover delamination past the 1 year warantee

I contacted my dealer about the delamination and they said it could not be covered on the extended warantee I purchased from them. Also they just sent the pictures to Heartland and the response is "no". It isn't covered past one year.

Attachments

• DSC_0098.jpg
    DSC_0098.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC_0099.jpg
    DSC_0099.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_0100.jpg
    DSC_0100.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 213

danemayer

I'm not the expert on delamination causes, but from what I've heard, it's usually caused by water intrusion. If that's the cause, it's important to find where the water's getting in before there's additional damage.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Wrong adhesive would be extremely doubtful, since all the Bighorns coming down the assembly line get the same construction. Like Dan said, usually caused by water intrusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I don't see the frig drain hose out the vent cover , maybe the problem..............Kenny

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Except, that appears to be the upper vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah....the decal must be in the wrong place and not in all the pics.......LOL.....Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:

fast900

Same thing just happened to me. Realized the tube was behind the vent while washing one day. No problems for a while but now it has some delamination. Lesson learned but it was very frustrating.

Westwind

So - What are we suppose to do to keep this from happening to our FW's ????? If the factory is saying that this is your fault then what are we suppose to do to prevent this from happening. I don't feel this is something that should be happening to an RV that's a year or two old. I'm disappointed in Heartland's lack of help on this one.

danemayer

So - What are we suppose to do to keep this from happening to our FW's ????? If the factory is saying that this is your fault then what are we suppose to do to prevent this from happening.

To answer your question, regular maintenance is needed, including regular checks on caulking. I think the trailer manual calls for checking caulking every 3 months so you can catch any developing problems before they cause damage.

The open question in this thread is whether the problem is due to a manufacturing defect, or due to lack of maintenance. Since Heartland has covered delamination issues for many owners when they determine it's due to a manufacturing defect, it seems reasonable to think that they might be viewing this one as a maintenance issue. Of course we're all just guessing.

hillsonwheels

Short of cutting the bad section of fiberglass out, gluing a new piece in and refinishing it, I don't believe there is fix. To preclude it from happening, as owner, I checked all the openings and rubbed a big wad of the best caulking I could buy along all the raw edges of the opening even if they appeared to have been caulked. I'd bet the bottom edge of the upper vent opening was not caulked properly.

dewwood

I am sorry to hear about your problem. I think I would go back to the dealer and have some conversations about the problem and their unwillingness to do anything except send some pictures to Heartland. I would definitely contact the extended warranty people directly rather than taking the dealers word. I also would contact Heartland customer service directly and ask about your situation, have your vin handy when you do. Good luck finding some relief for your problem.

sgtbigb

Check the upper vent for sealing and found that there was no sealing that I could see between the luan panel and the wall. I could see how easly water could protrude between the luan panel and the wall. I seal the problem with some shoe goo .Will check it every six month hereafter.
I am checking my top vent tomorrow for sealing. What is the fix for deflamation?

Westwind

I have a 2012 Bighorn with two refer vents top and bottom, I assumed this was a weather proof design, but I guess it's not, so now I have to remove the cover and look inside and seal off the unfinished edges of the siding with some type of silicone caulking? At least this is the only solution that I know of but I will take suggestions gladly.

I will mention that I went under the trailer and caulked every crack and crevice with silicone caulking on the bottom of each slide out wall and the main walls of the Bighorn, one side was done but the opposite side was completely forgotten. I suggest everyone check the bottom of the sides of their FW to be sure that the siding is not exposed where road water etc. might get to the siding and cause de-lamination.

Last edited: