ATF: Bighorn - Electric Fireplace failures

lizzymit

I have a 2011 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE with a Dimplex electric fireplace, Some days it works all day and gives off great heat. Other days I turn it on and after 10 minutes it stops producing heat and blowing air. No logical to when it works or doesnt,

RV dealers are no help with solving the problem. Any ideas what is creating the issue?

It gets lots of use so it is imprtant to solve problem, especially since I am now in the Seattle area and it is cold!

Thanks

Tom

RoadJunkie

what are the failure symptoms? Do the light "flames" work but the heater does not? Does the unit trip the breaker? etc....

danemayer

Hi Tom,

Sounds like it's either overheating, or the over-temperature sensor is malfunctioning.

The manual says (emphasis added):

Resetting the Temperature Cutoff Switch
This unit is equipped with a thermostat which controls the temperature
of the room by turning the heater on and off. The heater is protected
with a safety device to prevent overheating. Should the heater
overheat, an automatic cut out will turn the heater off and it will not
come back on without being reset.
It can be reset by switching the
Main On/Off Switch to off and waiting five (5) minutes before switching
the unit back on.
CAUTION: If you need to continuously reset the heater, unplug the
unit and call Technical Support at 1-888-346-7539. Please have
your model and serial number ready when calling.

Last edited:

caissiel

All the bulbs burn out in our unit in the 3500rl BC.
Took the unit out and determined that there was no way fresh air could circulate because the fireplace enclosure was not vented.
I installed a 4 x 10 fresh air vent and now it really throws the warm air.

Could not find anyway air could circulate. But our unit never shut down.

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk 2

caissiel

Caissiel I would like to see pics of your mod.

Murry135/Capt. Wingnut

I went to Home Deposit and bought an oak color grill and cut a hole under the desk on the fireplace side and placed the grill. There was real oak grills for $24 but opted for the plastic one.

I hardly see it under the desk but looks finish and suits the oak color well.

The trim and the build of the desk seemed to seal all air that needed by the vents around the casing of the fireplace including vents below the unit that to me looked important.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm intrigued by the added grill, you say this helped your unit?

We added a Dimplex fireplace in our ElkRidge this summer. From carefully reading the install instructions, they are made to be placed in built-ins where air would not necessarily circulate well. We noted there are some specific distances that combustible materials must be kept away from the unit, so it should not be sitting on carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

caissiel

I'm intrigued by the added grill, you say this helped your unit?

We added a Dimplex fireplace in our ElkRidge this summer. From carefully reading the install instructions, they are made to be placed in built-ins where air would not necessarily circulate well. We noted there are some specific distances that combustible materials must be kept away from the unit, so it should not be sitting on carpet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just hope you are right.

But I could not see where the air circulate from.

Maybe I will look into it closer.

caissiel

My mistake.

The unit is installed with a clear opening at the top that allow fresh air intake above the heat element.

Might be the reason for my better air circulation from bottom.

The fresh air circulation at the top makes the unit cooler and might be safer.

Could not see that arrangement while I had unit out. I was more conserned about how to circulate air to the base that the trim on my unit was blocking.

Phatkd

Had a failure of our as well. It was used a fair bit for about a month total. The shop didn't say what happened, just that it was being replaced under warranty.

I also would love to hear any mods that make this new one more efficient, or more effective.

This time it was covered under warranty,..next time it won't be.

JJnVA

I have a 2011 Heartland Bighorn 3610RE with a Dimplex electric fireplace, Some days it works all day and gives off great heat. Other days I turn it on and after 10 minutes it stops producing heat and blowing air. No logical to when it works or doesnt,

RV dealers are no help with solving the problem. Any ideas what is creating the issue?

It gets lots of use so it is imprtant to solve problem, especially since I am now in the Seattle area and it is cold!

Thanks

Tom

We also have a 2011 BH 3610RE. Last Sept 2012, After many many hours of use, our fireplace heater also started having same issue as yours. We called Dimplex and were told that the heating unit was still under the 2 year warranty so they would send someone out to replace it. No explanation as to what was wrong with it. We assumed that we had worn it out from so much use! Since we were traveling at the time, Dimplex shipped free of charge a new heating unit to our next campground destination. Jack installed the new heating unit by removing the outer trim, 6 screws, and then using the 4 plug-in wires to hook it up. The heating unit sits on top of the logs. Air circulates the heat with vents at the top. Your unit may be out of warranty, unfortunately.

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I went to Home Deposit and bought an oak color grill and cut a hole under the desk on the fireplace side and placed the grill. There was real oak grills for $24 but opted for the plastic one.

I hardly see it under the desk but looks finish and suits the oak color well.

The trim and the build of the desk seemed to seal all air that needed by the vents around the casing of the fireplace including vents below the unit that to me looked important.

Thanks for the info. I will look at our unit this weekend and see if I can do your upgrade.