ATF: Bighorn - Entry Door Motion Sensing Overhead Light

rfournelle

Canada-East Region Directors-Retired
I have a 2015 BH3585 that was built in late April this year.

While the standard features listed on the Heartland website for this model indicates that it has an "Entry Door Motion Sensing Overhead Light ", my unit came with a regular LED strip light. I'm guessing the motion sensing light feature was dropped but the website has not been updated yet.

I have the "Ivory Coloured Sidewalls w/ Painted Chocolate Front & rear caps" and I want to change the existing light to the motion sensing unit. The "LED strip" unit is wider than the "motion sensing" one which means that it will not cover the entire area of the one I'm removing.

What I need to know is whether the sidewall space behind the existing unit is Yvory coloured. I could check by removing the light but I don't want to risk damaging the existing light when it is removed.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Bob there is an aftermarket light available (I have one on my Grand Canyon) but I'm not sure if it comes in an ivory color or not. The outside cases may be interchangeable, so you could use the original that matches the paint.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
One of the first things we did with our new '15 Landmark was change out the exterior light for the motion sensor led light. We got our thru Amazon but here is the website for the company: starlights inc. The unit was a Starlights-1000 which we got black to match our trim/silver paint.

danemayer

My experience with full body paint (if that's what you have) on our 2011 is that it's applied last, after the trailer is finished. On ours, the light fixture would have already been in place and there would have been no paint underneath. When I replaced the lock with an RVLock, the area underneath the original lock had not been painted.

jbeletti

Bob,

I believe you are right - that you have that new-style narrow LED porch light and they are not motion activated.

I believe Dan is also right - that the light was "likely" installed before the unit was sent to paint. So, if the replacement light you wish to use will not fully cover the space of the OEM light, you're likely to have a visible unpainted area.

I was recently in Elkhart and snapped a few pictures of a Landmark Ashland that had just come back from paint moments prior. The LED porch light was already installed in this unit "before" it went to paint. And while the LM porch light (see below) may differ from the current BH porch light, they are both "likely" installed before paint.

LED_Porch_Light.jpg

rfournelle

I heard back from the factory telling me that while the front and rear caps are actually painted chocolate, the "Ivory coloured" sidewalls are fiberglass manufactured in that colour.

That being the case, the colour under the light should match. My question now is how the light is affixed to the sidewall. Is it just glued and siliconed or are there any screws?

pegmikef

Anyone know why they changed from the motion detector lights like the one on my 2014 BH? I don't recall reading many (if any) complaints about them, just queries from some wanting to know how to operate them.

SeattleLion

Anyone know why they changed from the motion detector lights like the one on my 2014 BH? I don't recall reading many (if any) complaints about them, just queries from some wanting to know how to operate them.

My 2014 3160 EL came with the non-motion-sensing light. I tried to get it replaced, but the dealer said that HL sent the same one I have now. I was told that my unit, since it was in a show, was shipped without the motion sensing light to avoid damage to the electrical system caused by the on/off cycling. I found that hard to believe. I would love a motion-sensing strip on my BH.

pegmikef

I was told that my unit, since it was in a show, was shipped without the motion sensing light to avoid damage to the electrical system caused by the on/off cycling. I found that hard to believe.

Now that really sounds like a crock . . . that's what the on/off switch is for. Off is off!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Here's another hint they're full of cowpie. I installed a motion sensor light on my rig and it's powered ON from May to Sept. It only comes on at night. During the day, hidden under the awning, it does not come on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfournelle

I tried installing the motion sensing light but the base would not cover the screw holes from the LED strip light that came with the unit.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I tried installing the motion sensing light but the base would not cover the screw holes from the LED strip light that came with the unit.

Could you fill the visible holes with some non-leveling white caulk? From the ground, I'll bet nobody would notice (but you).

rfournelle

Unfortunately the sidewall is ivory (optional) and beside, being a perfectionist, I would know.