ATF: Bighorn - Frame Question

mgarvin4

I have a 2013 Bighorn 3585RL. I recently noticed when I hookup and put the load on the hitch I have a small gap along the trim on the door side of the camper. It appears it flexs approx 1/8th inch. This summer I added a Splendid washer/dryer combo that sits on that side of the unit. Is this a concern and what should I do. I attached a couple of photos that shows the gap that is in the sealer when the load is on the hitch.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 215
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 194

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of other things you will want to look at.
Take a measurement from the bottom of the front cap to the top of the pinbox. Do this two times, once when hitched up and once when unhitched. Take pictures of the measurements.
Then look inside the washer/dryer closet. Look at the wooden cabinet that houses the hookups. Look for a separation between the side wall and that cabinet. Check this when hitched and unhitched. Again, take pictures.
Check the outside sidewalls in the area of the bedroom slide corners and look closely for any cracks.
If you see anything abnormal when looking at those areas, give Heartland Customer Service a call. Have your VIN handy.
In fact, you may want to call and discuss your findings, but I would suggest that you look at these other areas first.
Heartland Customer Service
877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

mgarvin4

To take the measurement from the bottom of the nose cap to the pin box I will have to take the cover off the pin box is that correct?

aatauses

We had a similar issue with our 2010 BH 3670. I had a dealer look at it and he was not sure how to proceed. I called HL and spoke with Jim Fenner who knew exactly what the issue was and how it had to be corrected. Flexing, and he recommended that it only be fixed by the factory. (they may have dealers who can repair it now?). We did take it to the factory and along with Jim and Eric we were treated just great (you can search on my comments about this procedure). Anyway that was is 2012 and have been across the US, north to CN and to AK, back to AZ and have had no issues----great service from HL and their employees.
al
currently in Surprise, AZ

wrgrs50s

My Sundance did exactly the same thing and it was frame flex at the pin box. Heartland covered everything under warranty and it took about a month for the factory to complete repairs and return it. Take it back to your dealer if close by, if not close by call Heartland and discuss it. They paid for the transport to and from the factory on mine. If your warranty has expired I understand they will still fix it but you have to take it to the factory in Indiana.
It seems to be a fairly common problem with the Lippert frames.

wdk450

If this is the frame flex problem, as I understand it if your rig is in its 1 year "official" warranty Heartland will have it transported to the factory and back for repair. If it is beyond the official 1 year warranty, Heartland will still generously fix it (once they are satisfied by documentation that this is the problem), but they require you get it to Elkhart.

dfk009

Have a problem that happened to my Elkridge, in which a separation occurred in front. Have dealt with Eric, since the coach is over it's 1 year warranty. I offered to take it to the factory if, they could restore it back to it's original condition. Have an appointment up there December 9th. Give customer service a call, and remember. Honey attracts more flies than vinegar!

piet10

I checked for frame flex by taping a string from the top of the front cap to the front of the pin box when unhooked. Then I hooked up and watched to see if the string went slack. It was just the tiniest bit looser which I thought was good.

Is this a valid way to check for flex? It sure was easy!

Al