ATF: Bighorn - Gas side of the water heater not working

SHerrick

We purchased our 3270RS last week. As soon as the transaction was completed, we took off on a long trip. Currently we are a long way from the dealer and I just found out that the gas part of the water heater is not working. The 12v switch on the power panel is on, and the light IN the switch is illuminated, but the light above it does not come on. I have been at the heater when it is turned on and there is no attempted ignition. I know there is gas because the stove burners work.

What can I do?

danemayer

Hi Sherrick,

We have an owner-written Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide that might help you. It explains the operation and points to several possible causes that a non-tech may be able to deal with. It's based on the Surburban Water Heater. Atwood is a little different, but the principles are the same.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
They've probably changed the monitor panel, but in the older ones like mine, there is a small LED next to the switch for the water heater (propane operation). If it comes on and stays on, it means the water heater is in lock-out and won't fire up on gas. It will try to fire 3 times before locking out. If you turn off the 12V switch, wait 5 minutes and try again, it may fire up (or not). The main 12V switch will remain illuminated, though.

Sniper

On our Cyclone there is a "reset" button on the outside just above the igniter. The button is covered in rubber, but it is marked "reset". I don't know if yours is the same or not. Hope this helps.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Also, remember that if the water is at temperature, the heater will not kick on until the water temp drops.

Peace
Dave

olcoon

On our 2011 Elk Ridge there are 3 switches for the hot water heater. Two are for the electric side, and one is for the propane side. Our panel is like the photo that John posted, the red rocker switch located on the bottom right labeled "heater" is for the propane side of the HW heater. Beside the panel is a switch like one in your house to turn the lights on, that one is for the electric side of the HW heater. There is also a rocker switch located inside the removable access panel on the outside for the HW heater, both of these need to be on for it to work. This also, is where the rubber covered "reset" button is located.

JohnDar

The reset buttons on the outside face of the Suburban DSI water heaters are for the thermostats (12V & 120V), in the event the water heater overheats the water past the Hi-Limit set point. That trips open the "switch" under the rubber cover. That is a two function device under there, for both voltage operations. As a thermostat, it should open when it's temperature is reached. The Hi-Limit switch is there to open the circuit if the thermostat is defective and does not open when the temperature is reached and allows the water to heat up too much.

If you have to use the reset option, there may be something wrong with the thermostat function (or the control board module).

SHerrick

Thanks, all! After some calls, and investigation of all the things you have pointed out, it seems the board is defective. I am heading back to the dealership and they have promised to correct the problem for me.

We purchased our Bighorn just at the beginning of a month long trip and have been fortunate enough to not have needed the gas side of the water heater along the way. The dealership is on the way and I have to go there to get the slide toppers put on and a couple other things fixed.

again, thanks, all!

Scott & Clare Herrick

JohnDar

Another possibility is the contacts that operate the gas valve. Like any electrical contacts exposed to the elements, they can corrode. I've found that when mine acts up, pulling them off, spraying contact cleaner on them and "working" them a little helps. You may, at some time, experience a similar need to clean the contacts for your trailer hitch plug and socket if you go long periods not hooking up. Scary when you realize the trailer brakes aren't getting a signal while you're cruising down the freeway.