ATF: Bighorn - Grey and Black water tank dimensions

violinini1

I am very frustrated with my black tank monitoring system. I have followed all of the forum and factory suggested procedures to clean out the black tank, but as soon as we flush only about 6 times, the monitor is reading 2/3 full. I know this can't be true, as when I do a dump, not very much comes out compared with the grey tanks when they are 2/3 full. So, in order to fix this problem, I feel that I need to install the aftermarket monitors. But in order to do this, I need the dimensions, especially the vertical dimension. Can you please provide the dimensions of all of the tanks for my 3760EL Big Horn. thank you,

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I don't know the dimensions of our tanks. But I do know that these tanks only have 1 flat wall on the high side (curb side) of the tank. None of my factory monitors work on my Landmark either.
I plan on installing the Garnet tank monetering system some day soon.
It has the straps you apply to the wall. So they can only be mounted on the 1 flat wall.

1d2d0f6d0296ed1a47b0353b7e0317e9.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We purchased the Horst Probes (for our black tank) that supposedly fit the same mounts as the existing sensors. (Have not installed yet.)

Www.rvprobes.com

Btw, they gave us a set of grey and black sensors to raffle off at the West Texas Chapter Rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

violinini1

I don't know the dimensions of our tanks. But I do know that these tanks only have 1 flat wall on the high side (curb side) of the tank. None of my factory monitors work on my Landmark either.
It has the straps you apply to the wall. So they can only be mounted on the 1 flat wall.

Jess,
Thank you for your response,
I too am looking at the Garnet, but need to know the height of the tank so I can order the correct sensor.
Sincerely,
Don

violinini1

We purchased the Horst Probes (for our black tank) that supposedly fit the same mounts as the existing sensors. (Have not installed yet.)

Www.rvprobes.com

Btw, they gave us a set of grey and black sensors to raffle off at the West Texas Chapter Rally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not heard of the Horst probes before, sounds like a much simpler process than the Garnet mentioned below. Please let me know how they work when you get them installed.
Thank you,
Don

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
violinini1.....are you keeping the valves closed until time to dump?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

violinini1

violinini1.....are you keeping the valves closed until time to dump?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yes, I always do. the dealer tried to fix it, to no avail. I received the dimensions from the factory, so I will invest in the SEELEVEL II system. It should solve the problem once and for all. It would be impossible to dry camp without knowing for sure the levels of your tanks.

Don

CDN

B and B
I have found that using some inexpensive fabric softener and laundry detergent in the black tank with 5 gallons of water while travelling cleans the sensors quite well. Some use Calgon softener as well how ever I can not purchase that very easily.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have found that using some inexpensive fabric softener and laundry detergent in the black tank with 5 gallons of water while travelling cleans the sensors quite well. Some use Calgon softener as well how ever I can not purchase that very easily.
The day I tried that (calgon) was the day all of my sensor quit working. And they have never worked sense then.
And I have tried everything to get them working again with no luck.
Maybe it was a freak thing. But after using the Calgon all of my sensor say my tanks are full even when there empty.

BigGuy82

I am very frustrated with my black tank monitoring system. I have followed all of the forum and factory suggested procedures to clean out the black tank, but as soon as we flush only about 6 times, the monitor is reading 2/3 full. I know this can't be true, as when I do a dump, not very much comes out compared with the grey tanks when they are 2/3 full. So, in order to fix this problem, I feel that I need to install the aftermarket monitors. But in order to do this, I need the dimensions, especially the vertical dimension. Can you please provide the dimensions of all of the tanks for my 3760EL Big Horn. thank you,

I have a 3010RE Bighorn and my BW tank does exactly the same thing. It has done this since the first day I used it. I'm not a dry camper (for more than a day or two), so my solution is simple ... let the tank hit 2/3, wait a couple of days then drain it. Viola! Problem solved.

I don't think your problem is the sensors - I think it's a design issue because when you drain the tank, the sensor clears but use it a few times and it's 2/3 full. Sounds like improper sensor placement. If the sensor was coated, it wouldn't clear in the first place.

Finally, if you do want to try cleaning the sensors, you might want to try Thetford Level Gauge Cleaner. I have a bottle on hand that I haven't needed yet, but it does get good reviews. Also, I always backflush using the factory fitting every time I dump, I always use double the recommended amount of sanitizer and at least once between dumps I fill the bowl with 2 gallons of hot water and flush (poo pyramid reduction effort). I don't know if this is all "correct" or not, but I don't have any waste system issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paulh

Before replacing all your sensors, I would try something a little easier. First, I would have all your tanks Hydro-Jet cleaned. I do this every year because I've seen what comes out and learned what it takes to keep the tanks not only clean and odor free with my sensors working all the time. They use 3800 psi of water pressure to clean inside the tank sidewalls virtually removing everything, especially struvite, which forms on the inside of your black tank due to chemical reactions caused by human waste when allowed to sit. In the gray tanks, it also removes soap scum, grease build-up and hair balls that can't possibly be removed while sloshing a few gallons of detergent around while going down the road. Unfortunately, not every city has one of these services - I use tanktechs.com in the Phoenix, AZ area. They also supply their own proven probiotic enzymes which will breakdown organic items, soften struvite build-up and is environmentally safe. I would recommend reviewing their website to learn more about waste tank maintenance. This is what their company is all about, not just a side line.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Paul it looks like there all in AZ 😕
I never heard of this before now. I wonder if anyone is doing it in California

paulh

Paul it looks like there all in AZ 😕
I never heard of this before now. I wonder if anyone is doing it in California

Jerrod - I know there are other companies around, I've seen them in Parker, AZ and Las Vegas. I don't know about CA however, just never spent enough time there. I would think there would be some though - you may just have to dig a little. Some of your larger RV resorts may be able to give you some info - they all have lists of approved vendors they use. In the meantime I would start using the Tanktechs probiotics.

danemayer

If I had a poo pile in the black tank and couldn't get it clean, I would hire a cleaning service. But considering how long the sensors work on a brand new black tank, I have to wonder how long they would work after the tank is cleaned.

CDN

B and B
Brand new tanks here never used with nothing in them except maybe wet air from water test showed 1/3 full. I have found when boon docking for 7 days the shower goes first so after 4 days I empty it. I have never, even after a week had issue with my black tank filling, that is two people on a 30 gallon tank.

Piperflyer

The day I tried that (calgon) was the day all of my sensor quit working. And they have never worked sense then.
And I have tried everything to get them working again with no luck.
Maybe it was a freak thing. But after using the Calgon all of my sensor say my tanks are full even when there empty.

Has anyone else had this problem after using the Calgon. Sounds like it might put a film on the sensors that keep them from working. Just saying

violinini1

Jesse,
Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. I was successful in pulling the underside down and getting to the tanks. I ordered the 12" but had to cut them down to their minimum height as the flat side of the tank is only about 8 ". This is true for the Grey and Black, not sure about the potable water tank as I could not get to it, as it seems is by the axles. Unfortunately, I have not been able to get them to work yet. The manufacturer said that we may be too close to metal, so I have purchased some rubber insulation but not yet had time to unbolt the bottom again to try it out. Will update when I do.