ATF: Bighorn - humming trimming sound

shovelguy

We have a 2008 3055. Today we noticed a muted humming, t hrumming, motor sound in our bedroom. It seems to be eliminating from behind the propane tanks, behind the metal barrier at the top part of the inset metal cabinet. We dismantled the bed because my husband thought it was something to do with the slide motor. That was not the problem. We turned off the shore electric and disconnected the batteries and it stopped but we turned everything back on it eventually started up again. After dismantling the bed and putting it back together it stopped again. We are stumped. Can you tell us if there is some other motor in the overhang, under the closet, near the propane tank storage area and how do you access it? Thanks.

Jim.Allison

Turn off the breakers one at a time until it stops then you can determine which appliance is involved. IF it does not quit then go to your DC switch and turn it off. If it quits then go pull the DC fuses one at a time until it stops, you should be able to identify the source then. DO you think it is a motor or do you think it is the charger, transfer switch, or EMS that is failing?

We have a 2008 3055. Today we noticed a muted humming, t hrumming, motor sound in our bedroom. It seems to be eliminating from behind the propane tanks, behind the metal barrier at the top part of the inset metal cabinet. We dismantled the bed because my husband thought it was something to do with the slide motor. That was not the problem. We turned off the shore electric and disconnected the batteries and it stopped but we turned everything back on it eventually started up again. After dismantling the bed and putting it back together it stopped again. We are stumped. Can you tell us if there is some other motor in the overhang, under the closet, near the propane tank storage area and how do you access it? Thanks.

Garypowell

It is more than likely your converter which is behind the basement wall. I had a 3055....and I think it is generally under the stairs. My guess is the fan motor is going bad.

shovelguy

So Jim, we tried your suggestion and when we pull a 15amp fuse which controls the 12 volt power to the drivers side of the trailer the humming stops but all the 12 volt lights on that side also stop. Whatever do you suppose it is. Gary, it is a sound located directly behindv the top os the propane tank cabinet. It is not near the stairs. Dean checked just to make sure. Thanks for the input.

Jim.Allison

What ever it is, its on the 15 amp fuse. In your owners guide and/or the sticker on the fuse panel cover, that fuse should be identified. How is it labeled? Did you buy the rig new, if you did not, could it be an aftermarket item such as a compartment evac fan or or some other forgotten device that has an automatic switch, or a switch that could have been accidently turned on? Now that you know it is on the DC circuit, and which circuit it is on you can chase it down. Generally speaking the charger and its fan motors run off the shore power and would not be affected by a DC circuit within the rig.

What makes you think it is a motor running? Does it sound like a motor you have heard before? When you say motor are you talking like a fan like in the bathroom or a serious motor like what runs your lift?

Do you have a thermostatically operated fan in your rig?

So Jim, we tried your suggestion and when we pull a 15amp fuse which controls the 12 volt power to the drivers side of the trailer the humming stops but all the 12 volt lights on that side also stop. Whatever do you suppose it is. Gary, it is a sound located directly behindv the top os the propane tank cabinet. It is not near the stairs. Dean checked just to make sure. Thanks for the input.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
This might be far fetched, but we've had a humming sound come from our propane tanks before...

donr827

Another far fetched, are there any florescent lights on the circuit. Some of the older lights would make sounds...........Don

shovelguy

Jim, I say it sounds like a motor because that is what it sounds like. We have had the rig since it was created and my DH has done 99 per cent of all the work on it and knows almost all of its innards. The fuse is marked as being the "off-door side" and that is all. He pulled that fuse when we went to bed last night to stop whatever it is. The fuse is back in place now and the motor sound has not returned. Last night when we initially pulled that fuse the sound stopped and then returned when we put the fuse back. The sound is not coming from the propane tanks but rather it is loudest behind the metal back panel of the cabinet at the top. Mystifying. Thanks for all the suggestions.