ATF: Bighorn - Hydraulic Slide - Cylinder nuts

MTPockets

Does this look right? This is the slide cylinder rod end nuts.. Seems like the outward nuts should be tight against the other nut and the bracket... It's like this on both cylinders. Slides seem to be operating OK, but if these are supposed to be tight, it could lead to a problem.

Attachments

• DSCN7259.jpg
    DSCN7259.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 78

cjhicks

Just went out and checked mine and the two nuts are tight together at the bracket bracket and the nut on the end of the rod is about a inch away from the bracket.

wdk450

Does this look right? This is the slide cylinder rod end nuts.. Seems like the outward nuts should be tight against the other nut and the bracket... It's like this on both cylinders. Slides seem to be operating OK, but if these are supposed to be tight, it could lead to a problem.

MTPockets:
Check this link to a Lippert manual on the slideout system (the nut adjustment is on page 9): http://www.lci1.com/images/Flyers/Owners_Manuals/slides/om-hydraulic-slide-out-web.pdf

There are several proceedure manuals for slideouts on the Lippert website and one on our own Heartland Owners Tools Tab. The HOG Tools one doesn't have the nut adjustment proceedure in it. Here is a link to ALL of the Lippert Slide Manuals:
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?optio...174:support-owners-slides&catid=38&Itemid=103

BTW, I think my slide ram ends have some "slop" between the nuts like yours, and like is illustrated in my link above.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing you need to do is tighten the jam nut on the left. Every thing else looks normal.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

The only thing you need to do is tighten the jam nut on the left. Every thing else looks normal.

Peace
Dave

Just got a phone call from Mike in Heartland service - Great job! ..... Seems the nuts are in the right place, except the jam nut should be tight against the other nut.... No problem with the slide, but these nuts just looked out of place - Now we (I) know.... Thanks

porthole

Retired
Your picture is similar to what my ram looked like when I got home from Indiana at 2:30 am.

My wife was waiting to see the trailer and I did a quick open for her. The loose nuts had rotated to the end and when I was opening the slide it about looked like it was going to push right out the side of the trailer.

I must have opened-closed the slides several dozen times while I was out in Indiana with no issues.

Anyway, it bent the brackets a bit underneath that I was able to straighten out. Adjusted the "in and out" limit nuts and tightened the jamb nut - good to go now.

It is good that you caught that.